Display Issues | Screen tearing | Graphic glitches - File Support Request via Pebble App!

Randall BristRandall Brist Posts: 7Member
edited February 13 in Support
In the last week, my Pebble has begun showing the screen tearing.  Usually it happens when a notification shows up on my watch.  I look down and sometimes it's not even readable.  Usually pressing a few buttons clears the problem and everything is fine.  For a while.  I searched the forums and found some discussion regarding beta software but that's not my issue.  I removed all the additional watch apps I had loaded on the watch but it still does it.  I've tried resetting but that hasn't helped either.  In excellent condition and no trauma to watch.  I was part of the first wave of supporters to get the watch but don't remember the exact date.  Thanks.

Randy
Post edited by whacko on

Comments

• LauKahYongLauKahYong Posts: 1Member
    Hi Support,

My pebble watch got display issues. like image on below.

do you have any idea?

Thanks.

Regards,
    KahYong
  • ZbynekFiserZbynekFiser Posts: 1Member
    Hello, 
    I have the same problem. It gradually started about a month after I got the watch. 
    First, it would happen only once a week and only with scrolling in menus and would intermediately go away with simple change of watch face. Over time however, the problem got worse and now it's broken all the time and I rarely see a clean screen. It even happens on the Update screen after Factory reset. 

It's really bad and the watch is unusable as you can't read time 90% of the time.

I put an unlisted video on YouTube ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12m0xPeMU7o

• DenisMercierDenisMercier Posts: 2Member
    The screen of mine is completly blank, the watch seems to work when go through the menu to shut it down (remembering the steps to get there) because it shut down as expected, but I see nothing at all on the screen, it started like everyone, some lines and pixels but 10-15 minutes later the screen died :-(
  • mpxmpx Posts: 7Member
    I've had mine since early March. I believe that the screen garble on my watch is directly affected by the firmware. It ran beautifully as it was delivered. One month later the firmware was updated and I began to see artifacts across the screen periodically that was easily fixed with the 3 button fix. I updated the firmware whenever it was available. 1.11.1 that caused others problems actually removed any screen issues for me. With this latest firmware, 1.12.1, I have the clock issues, not losing time but actually just freezing. Time zones change and syncing with the phone posed some challenges also. The watch time only updated when it polled the phone. Then the screen became a significant issue. 3 buttons don't do much for it but it would sometimes, blink and correct itself. I tried the normal fixes, removing the app, flashing the firmware etc. It did well for two days and then went back to major lines misaligned information rendering the Pebble useless. I do not believe that this is broken connection to the display as stated in other "screen issues". I say this because I can go into a setting screen and shake the hell out of it and not one line will appear and it keep time etc. I am no longer able to get into recovery mode so until new firmware is released, my Pebble will be inactive.
  • MartinJuhaszMartinJuhasz Posts: 6Member
    Hi,

my pebble screen has a lot of graphical problems these days.

like:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg7we96fmj6eu7f/Photo 18.10.13 11 03 43.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uamhei6d8l1d33j/Photo 19.10.13 14 04 03.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/50039hdsal4utk9/Photo 22.10.13 21 04 22.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jqhhuaj87ijn1q/Photo 24.10.13 15 20 09.jpg

what is wrong here? is this software related and can be fixed or do i have to get in contact to replace my pebble?

These glitches disappear after jumping to another watchface.
  • eyeiseyeis Posts: 487Member
    edited October 2013
    Whoa whoa whoa @whacko hold on there a second! I remember back in the good old days when you used to tell people a possible solution and not just refer them to the trail of tears that may lead to an RMA several weeks later (pebble support). Ok now to your problem. Try booting your pebble in recovery mode. (I think that's what it's called) hold down the left, right center and upper right button for about 30 seconds. Your pebble will reboot multiple times. DONT LET GO. When you feel the pebble vibrate you have entered recovery mode! You will need to download the latest software again from the pebble app. After you have done all this, if you still get the screen distortion then file for an RMA. I had the same issue. Recovery mode fixed the watch for a few days before it started up again. I ended up filing for a replacement which I got 1.5 months later. So see if it works. Good luck!
    Post edited by eyeis on
    iPhone 5s with iOS 8
  • Greg02Greg02 Posts: 1Member
    Same problem as discussed above.  Out of the box it worked for 5 minutes and then as you moved through the screens the horizontal lines appeared and after 15 minutes the watch was unusable.  Charged it for 6 hours, rebooted it, downloaded latest software but still the screen is unreadable. Very dissapointing as I see so many others have had the same problem.  I think Pebble need a better quality assurance processes.
  • WilliamSGarridoWilliamSGarrido Posts: 9Member
    edited November 2013
    I have the same problem and I am in the middle getting it replaced. Mine took a 3-4 months to start doing it. I am not happy that it won't be replaced with a Kickstarter edition. I was one of the first 200 or probably 100 people to back the pebble. Now I will never have a Kickstarter edition once its replaced.
    Post edited by WilliamSGarrido on
  • RickHampsonRickHampson Posts: 1Member
    Same problem here, tried everything but nothing works. I also had a "bricked" Pebble so this is my second dead watch. Waiting for Support to respond, very disappointed.
  • Completely bricked, wow.

My wife's is also a kickstarter edition and its been okay but the battery life isn't as good as mine. I hope that my replacement has as good battery life as mine.

Also I gave the watches as wedding gifts for us. Too bad I have to get them replaced.
  • dfriedladfriedla Posts: 5Member Pebbler
    Thank you for that, @eyeis. I'm having the same problem as the OP, and that seems to have cleared it up for the moment. I hope that's the last of it—it was weird; my Pebble has been working just fine for months, and all of a sudden, glitches.
  • PawelNPawelN Posts: 9Member
    I got my Pebble replaced (RMA) - however I see it has the same HW&SW version as the previous one. So I am not happy because I expect to see the same issues in a few months...

how long did it take to replace your pebble since you filed your RMA?
  • ProtonusProtonus Posts: 1,671Member Pebbler
    Pawel N said:
    I got my Pebble replaced (RMA) - however I see it has the same HW&SW version as the previous one. So I am not happy because I expect to see the same issues in a few months...

That has nothing to do with it.  The newer hardware revision was simply a manufacturing update and the software/firmware needs to be updated to the latest regardless and doesn't affect this problem.

Did I help you today, or you liked what I had to say?  If so, please click the Like or Agree button below this post!
    I don't work for Pebble nor am I affiliated with them. I beta test apps - LMK if you need a tester for your app!

f/w PebbleBits Custom v2.3 h/w V2R2  •  Verizon HTC Droid DNA    Android 4.4.2 KK  •  ViperDNA ROM v4.1.0
    Black Pebble (from Best Buy) + SlickWraps Black Carbon Fiber wrap & Screen Protector + Custom 550 Paracord Band

• BjrnMouritzenBjrnMouritzen Posts: 15Member Pebbler
    Got this problem on my daughters orange pebble now... the watch is 2 weeks old :(

Got my own pebble replaced after it died completely.
    So, this is the second pebble out of 3 with problem... wonder how long my wife's pebble will survive 

• PawelNPawelN Posts: 9Member
    how long did it take to replace your pebble since you filed your RMA?
    It was very quick :)
    RMA request was filled and sent on Nov 9th. On 22th I received my new Pebble (including 2 days of delay because of customs).
  • Gene KendrickGene Kendrick Posts: 35Member Pebbler
    I'm having the same problem also. I have reloaded software many times and many different versions. Mine is Kickstarter also. I have sent in picture and now in the long wait for support to reply back. Seems to me support should be working 18 hours a day 7 days a week until they get rid of the support backlog.
  • ProtonusProtonus Posts: 1,671Member Pebbler
    support should be working 18 hours a day 7 days a week until they get rid of the support backlog.
    Don't you feel like a dick when you write something like that?  I mean do you really feel that way?  What an astounding sense of entitlement and self worth you have then - that you think people should be working over time and stay away from their families, to make YOU happy and meet YOUR expectations. 

Did you contact support thru the pebble app on your phone?  Did you get an auto reply right away? If not, you probably didn't email the right address either.

Did I help you today, or you liked what I had to say?  If so, please click the Like or Agree button below this post!
    I don't work for Pebble nor am I affiliated with them. I beta test apps - LMK if you need a tester for your app!

f/w PebbleBits Custom v2.3 h/w V2R2  •  Verizon HTC Droid DNA    Android 4.4.2 KK  •  ViperDNA ROM v4.1.0
    Black Pebble (from Best Buy) + SlickWraps Black Carbon Fiber wrap & Screen Protector + Custom 550 Paracord Band

• Gene KendrickGene Kendrick Posts: 35Member Pebbler
    No. I don't feel like a dick for writing that, no more than you feel like an asshole for that replay. I sent through the Peeble app on the iPhone and I did suggestions in this forum. Yes I think they should work overtime to correct the problem not just let the problem continue. I was a manager and my people and myself work 18 hours a day and 7 days a week many times to clear up backlogs. I would not have said it had I not done it. Peeble is a great product, but they are getting a bad reputation for poor service. It is going to be hard to compete on the product alone.
  • Michael13Michael13 Posts: 3Member
    I can't get my Pebble out of Recovery Mode pair w/PHONE( it SAYS) .This happens when I try to update it . I try to pair it with my APPLE and it does NOT work .  I have my PeBBLE since OCTOBER  !!  I emailed SUPPORT no response ,Someone Should start a class action suit .DEFECTIVE PRODUCT !!!
  • Nels2beatNels2beat Posts: 1Member
    I have the same issue, i recieved my pebble watch yesterday and it started to display lines on the screen. It has become very bad and i cant even read the time. 
  • JanetTrajanoJanetTrajano Posts: 1Member
    What's the typical response time for support@pebble.com?  I sent a message last week and I haven't gotten a response yet.

BTW the reset works but only temporarily.  It started doing the glitches a couple of days after.
    it takes weeks for responses. i filled the RMA about 4 weeks ago and still didn't receive the package where i have to put my old pebble in.
    also every email conversation before took weeks for a response.

i could by a pebble on amazon and get it in 2 days, but as a kickstarter backer i'm now waiting since months to get a working pebble
  • I didn't know they will send you a box. I just sent it in my own box. 
  • KevinNealeKevinNeale Posts: 1Member
    I've been experiencing some problems with my pebble 301BL (Retail edition)

Intermittent graphic breaking (like bad signal on TV) (tweeted picture)
    Intermittent crashes
    Unexpected noticeable wear on face
    Some coating has flaked off
    Display shows some sort of color warping at certain viewing angles. (Those its always looked kinda physically warped since i got the watch)

Should i be concerned about the software glitching? It started to happen recently a lot. 

I did email support. It's just been about a week and I haven't heard back yet. Case ID #152314

• MagnitudeMagnitude Posts: 486Moderator, PDR14 mod
    PM me with an email address and I'll get you sorted out.
    Forum Moderator. Have a problem with support? PM me (if you've been waiting more than 3 business days for a reply)
    Nexus 4 - with Android L. My Pebbles: 1 Black Kickstarter & 1 Orange Kickstarter, 1 Fly Blue and 1 white :)
    My pebble watchfaces/apps here: edwinfinch.com/pebble. Big enthusiast of open source! (All of my apps are open source)
  • JonathanEcholsJonathanEchols Posts: 41Member Pebbler
    I've seen many posts about this "pixelated" screen issue and read through all that I could find. But, I have yet to read anything that resembles a definitive answer or resolution. I have had my pebble for exactly 7 days and the screen has sporadic, random horizontal lines that progressively cover more and more of the screen. Randomly, it comes and randomly it goes away. No amount of button pressing or resetting/rebooting makes any difference. In fact, scrolling in the menu seems to make it worse. So, here is my question for anyone who can answer...does every pebble experience this? Has anyone gotten an official answer or explanation re: the issue? Is this really a hardware issue where the remedy is that the watch just needs to be replaced? Any knowledge would be appreciated.
    iPhone 5 
  • MagnitudeMagnitude Posts: 486Moderator, PDR14 mod
    The cable that connects the LCD to the board is loose. You need to get a replacement, it won't get any better, so send a ticket in by contacting support through the pebble app.

Sometimes a temporary fix is pushing down on the bottom of the pebble, slightly reconnecting the cable.
    Forum Moderator. Have a problem with support? PM me (if you've been waiting more than 3 business days for a reply)
    Nexus 4 - with Android L. My Pebbles: 1 Black Kickstarter & 1 Orange Kickstarter, 1 Fly Blue and 1 white :)
    My pebble watchfaces/apps here: edwinfinch.com/pebble. Big enthusiast of open source! (All of my apps are open source)
  • JonathanEcholsJonathanEchols Posts: 41Member Pebbler
    Ok. I understand. Thanks for your response. I love the pebble watch, the company, the whole package. My concern here is that this same problem seems to be cropping up for a great many pebble owners, which seems to indicate that there is a serious problem with either components or the assembly process.
    iPhone 5 
  • Suzanne SchillerSuzanne Schiller Posts: 1,436Moderator mod
    Ok. I understand. Thanks for your response. I love the pebble watch, the company, the whole package. My concern here is that this same problem seems to be cropping up for a great many pebble owners, which seems to indicate that there is a serious problem with either components or the assembly process.
    I think it just seems like a lot of people have this problem but remember that people come to this board for specifically for support.  There are over 300,000 Pebbles in the wild and maybe 20 people have posted about this problem.  Even if you assume there are many who had the problem but didn't post here, it is still a small percentage of all the watches, and Pebble has been very good about replacing them quickly. 
    Forum Moderator

Brushed Stainless Steel running 2.6
    Kickstarter White running 2.5
    iPhone 6 running iOS 8.02
    Non-tech-savvy early adopter who can't code, in awe of the devs

This discussion has been closed.