Pebble 2.0 Android BETA11 Feedback

ThomasThomas Posts: 230Administrator
edited March 4 in Developer Discussion
We have just released BETA11 of the Android app. Please download it and let us know about your experience!

IMPORTANT: You need to delete BETA10 before you install BETA11. You will also need to reinstall all your JavaScript apps.

Changed in this version:

• PebbleKit JS localStorage is now sandboxed for each app
  • Many improvements to onboarding and FW installation
  • Issues with sideloading apps in some circumstances have been fixed
  • Some issues with loading JS configuration views after the app has been quit have been addressed
  • JavaScript app logs printed via ADB are cleaner
  • MyPebble now loads faster

Known issue:

• Pairing a Pebble during onboarding may not succeed. If you run into problems, exit the Pebble app. Remove the pairing entry from Android BT settings & your Pebble. Then pair manually using BT settings.

Post edited by Thomas on
Thomas - Pebble Developer Evangelist - Follow @PebbleDev!

Comments

• Peter HardyPeter Hardy Posts: 538Member
    edited March 4
    I'm using the app on a Galaxy S4 Mini running Cyanogenmod (Android 4.3).

In addition to the known problem with onboarding, a straight upgrade from Beta10 didn't work for me. It installed, but would quickly force close after starting, even after rebooting the phone. I had to uninstall Beta10, forget the pairing, and start from scratch. After that everything worked fine though.

I checked sideloading by reinstalling Music Boss from within its Android app. No problems, but there are different confirmation and progress visuals to when apps are loaded from locker / app store.

I installed a watchface that was present in my locker without any problems, but the "My Pebble" view didn't update to reflect that the app was installed and not in the locker until I quit and restarted the app.

I did recently notice a problem with swiping the banners in the app store webview - swiping right-to-left would change banners but left-to-right would only ever pull out the side menu. That's fixed in 11.

I've never had issues with phone or watch battery drain, so no comment there.
    Post edited by Peter Hardy on

I wrote these! - DualTZ | Gauges | Gravity

• RonRon Posts: 393Member
    edited March 4
    I'm experiencing same issue on Galaxy S3.
    Upgrade completed, but app is crashing every time. restarting didn't help.
    Removing-installing solved. but it's still crashing occasionally.
    the "check for updates" screen got stuck
    Will update more later.
    Another reboot seems to solve the problem, so far no more crashes.

Loading settings screen with new App is very nice addition. turning on BT is improved. Watchfaces screen loads faster. fells like many improvements are there.

When Bluetooth is disabled if I go into the app, it ask premission for bluetooth, if I decline, I can't get out. (back button keep getting me to the permission request. only options are to give up and turn on BT, or force close the Pebble-app)

Disappointed to find that there is apparently still no way to manually disconnect the Pebble from within the Pebble app.

I like to pair my Pebble with different devices for different reasons.  ie; with tablet for Sleep as Android smart alarm/sleep tracking.
      Totally agree ! where is the disconnect?
    Post edited by Ron on
    I'm mostly into Accelerometer applications and motion recognition. Yet, I made a regular watch face too.
    SecBar with BigDigits/Date
    Seconds-bar with Big Digits is available on the Pebble appstore      
    highly configurable
    Early time display option
    Finally 12 Watch face in one, with wrist control
    Finally is available on the Pebble appstore
    Battery usage graph
    Menu inside watch-face
    uses Overlay, (breaking memory limits)
  • DevAccountDevAccount Posts: 1Member
    HI, I too had the problem of the app crashing after upgrading from Beta 10, I deleted everything and started again with Beta 11 and seems OK now - HTC One XL
  • AmandaCameronAmandaCameron Posts: 5Member
    Looks like someone's trying to cast a String to an Integer, this is from logcat on initial launch after a reinstall:

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): Process: com.getpebble.android, PID: 3478

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.getpebble.android/com.getpebble.android.ui.setup.SetupActivity}: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2195)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2245)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$800(ActivityThread.java:135)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1196)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5017)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:779)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:595)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.SharedPreferencesImpl.getInt(SharedPreferencesImpl.java:240)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at com.getpebble.android.util.PebblePreferences.getIntData(PebblePreferences.java:342)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at com.getpebble.android.ui.setup.SetupStateManager.getPersistedSetupCommand(SetupStateManager.java:71)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at com.getpebble.android.ui.setup.SetupActivity.onCreate(SetupActivity.java:212)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:5231)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1087)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2159)

E/AndroidRuntime( 3478): ... 11 more

W/ActivityManager(  781):   Force finishing acti

• BenWinslowBenWinslow Posts: 2Member
    edited March 4
    Just came to report the same crash as Amanda.  I had better luck after uninstalling and reinstalling.
    Nexus 5, stock KOT49H (4.4.2)
    Post edited by BenWinslow on
  • ProtonusProtonus Posts: 1,495Member
    I also could not open the BETA 11 app without it crashing, after upgrading from BETA 10.  Uninstalling BETA 11, and installing BETA 11 again, fixed it.  Did not need to reboot at all, or, remove the watch from bluetooth settings, unlike some above.  

Onboarding is definitely improved, as is speed of the app, and thank goodness sideloading is back!  

Did I help you today, or you liked what I had to say?  If so, please click the Like or Agree button below this post!
    I don't work for Pebble nor am I affiliated with them. I beta test apps - LMK if you need a tester for your app!

Pebble App 2.0.16.1  f/w PebbleBits Custom v2.3 h/w V2R2  •  Verizon HTC Droid DNA    Android 4.4.2 KK  •  ViperDNA ROM v4.1.0
    Black Pebble (from Best Buy) + SlickWraps Black Carbon Fiber wrap & Screen Protector + Custom 550 Paracord Band

• ThomasThomas Posts: 230Administrator
    Thanks everyone. This is confirmed. You need to remove beta10 first. Very sorry about that. Obviously you should not have to do that.
    Thomas - Pebble Developer Evangelist - Follow @PebbleDev!
  • RonRon Posts: 393Member
    I'm always amused to see how a bug disappear and becomes a feature. just adding a comment how to operate to (like uninstall first) and now it's a feature.
    No criticism intended, just pointing it out. As users, we are all putting efforts to improve the product, and this is part of the process.
    I'm mostly into Accelerometer applications and motion recognition. Yet, I made a regular watch face too.
    SecBar with BigDigits/Date
    Seconds-bar with Big Digits is available on the Pebble appstore      
    highly configurable
    Early time display option
    Finally 12 Watch face in one, with wrist control
    Finally is available on the Pebble appstore
    Battery usage graph
    Menu inside watch-face
    uses Overlay, (breaking memory limits)
  • PaulTheisenPaulTheisen Posts: 6Member
    edited March 4
    I find that the settings of some watch faces (simple weather, yweather) are not sticking anymore after beta 11. For example, it keeps defaulting back to Fahrenheit units. Do developers need to do something different for saving settings?
    I am having the same issue where the setting are not saved.
    Post edited by PaulTheisen on
  • JKMJKM Posts: 10Member
    edited March 4
    After installing Beta 11 the settings button was gone for all the watchfaces. 
    And the watchfaces couldn't get the weather. 
    I had to delete and re-install the watchfaces to make them work again. 

There are still some small problems with the "my pebble" screen. 
    When opening the screen, all apps are displayed in the locker. 
    Then after several seconds they suddenly move to the upper half of the screen. 
    And after deleting an app, it is shown in the locker. 
    But when you open the app again, it is gone. This is a bit confusing. 

I also noticed that sometimes when opening the settings for an app 
    the list of apps scrolls to the left.
    Post edited by JKM on
  • MichaelMichael Posts: 14Member
    Beta 11 is out and I still got the same problem :-( Nothing changed. 

- Update starts
    - Update goes fast 0-100 %
    - Update goes slow 0-100 %
    - loading ...
    - Pebble Logo
    - flickering
    - loading ...
    - Recovery Mode

The app does nothing except a "Bluetooth disconnected" Screen after a long time. No Message like Update failed or something like that. So I can delete the app, reinstall the latest pebble app out of the playstore and hope that 1.14 still reinstalls...

The Video of @JeremyBunford shows exactly what happens:

• pedrolanepedrolane Posts: 325Member
    JKM said:
    I think that's because you had to uninstall the previous app from your phone and you lost all the javascript installed on your phone.
    In a future normal process, the phone app update will not require to delete the previous app and your js will not be erased.
    Faces : Hop Picker  image Rorschach (with morphing animations)image
  • matejdromatejdro Posts: 655Member
    edited March 4
    Disappointed to find that there is apparently still no way to manually disconnect the Pebble from within the Pebble app.

I like to pair my Pebble with different devices for different reasons.  ie; with tablet for Sleep as Android smart alarm/sleep tracking.
    Agree, I liked older Connect/Disconnect button way more than new one.

Another bug I found: skip onboarding did not work apparently. I was still greeted with start wizard (update pebble, appstore tutorial etc.)

I upgraded from beta 9 directly without uninstalling though, so this might be the case (but I did not notice any other issues).
    Post edited by matejdro on
  • Nicolas09Nicolas09 Posts: 1Member
    edited March 4
    Same problem as JohnMichaels. Settings are forgetted when I change the watchface directly from the Pebble (but not all watchfaces... some watchfaces keep their settings) :-( 
    Post edited by Nicolas09 on
  • Ajay SachdevaAjay Sachdeva Posts: 36Member
    edited March 4

Post edited by Ajay Sachdeva on
  • Ajay SachdevaAjay Sachdeva Posts: 36Member
    Tried thrice installing beta 11,but keeps crashing.Uninstalled beta 10 tried beta 11 but no use

on android 4.1.2  samsung gt i8262
  • NicholasTsiotinosNicholasTsiotinos Posts: 9Member
    pedrolane said:
    JKM said:
    I think that's because you had to uninstall the previous app from your phone and you lost all the javascript installed on your phone.
    In a future normal process, the phone app update will not require to delete the previous app and your js will not be erased.
    I uninstalled the previous app before installing 11 - still had the problem of settings not showing up for apps that have it.
    Way around it is to unload / reload each app that has settings and then they all work fine.
  • MarckusMarckus Posts: 30Member
    It installed fine (with removing Beta 10 first as instructed).  I can sideload apps. once again.  It seems to load the store a tad faster than Beta 10, however, it is still slow when compared with other apps.  Here's my list of current issues/comments:
    1. Non-store apps. show a really ugly, pixelated watchface.  Picture a QR code with a tiny set of watchface hands in the middle.  I don't know if this is intentional, but if so, it makes your app. look very unprofessional.  I liked the blank watchface that used to appear before Beta 10, at least it looked professional.
    2. When unloading a non-store watchface/app it still doesn't go to my locker.  It would really be nice to have these go to the locker too.
    3. I had the same problem as others reported above when adding a watchface.  It doesn't show up as installed until you stop and restart the app.
    4. My watch does not show that a watchface is being installed any longer.  This isn't a huge problem since the app. does, but if it is not intentional, I thought I'd mention it.
    5. When installing a watchface, I now see a little progress bar in the app. that updates while installing the watchface.  When unloading a watchface, I still get the full screen progress bar.  You'll probably want those to be consistent between loading and unloading, no?
    6. I kind-of liked having the "allow untrusted" apps/watchfaces checkbox.  I guess it really doesn't matter as long as I can still sideload watchfaces/apps., but it gave a feeling of more control over the app.
    Thanks for all of the hard work and improvements!
  • veldomveldom Posts: 1Member
    edited March 5
    This is the first version I can actually use since beta 8, on my Galaxy Nexus running Cyanogenmod 11 (android 4.4.2)

Still: Laggy, Keybord randomly working in search, battery drain (both watch and app), some app behave oddly, random disconnections.

EDIT : Watchfaces loose their settings.

Thank you for your hard work.
    Waiting for beta 12 !

Post edited by veldom on
  • MayzeMayze Posts: 1Member
    I'm unable to get my keyboard to show up when trying to search for apps/watchfaces. Moto X 4.4.2
  • pedrolanepedrolane Posts: 325Member
    @NicholasTsiotinos That is what I said, maybe with the wrong words. Because you uninstalled the previous pebble app from your phone, you have lost all the javascripts previously installed on your phone and you need to reinstall the watchapps to reenable the settings button.
    In the future process, you will just update the phone app and the javascript will not be lost
    Faces : Hop Picker  image Rorschach (with morphing animations)image
  • chambercchamberc Posts: 41Member
    Beta 11 makes Beta 10 look good, and Beta 10 was a completely unusable Beta...

Unistalled Beta 10 before installing 11.

Won't stay connected
    Onboarding starts even when it's turned off

Back to Beta 9.
  • GaryJTothGaryJToth Posts: 7Member
    Beta 11 seems to run faster on my phone. No problems other than a couple of apps that won't work on the new firmware (IE-Canvas).  I'm sure it will all be leveled out before too long.  :)
  • Max Fireman Max Fireman Posts: 15Member
    chamberc said:

Beta 11 makes Beta 10 look good, and Beta 10 was a completely unusable Beta...

Unistalled Beta 10 before installing 11.

Won't stay connected
    Onboarding starts even when it's turned off

Back to Beta 9.
    BBeta 10 was actually decent except for the side loading problem.
  • Corey05Corey05 Posts: 5Member
    Browsed the app store using Beta11 for about 10-15 minutes.  Battery dropped from 83% down to 65% in that time.  Still appears to have power issues.

Browsing is much faster though. Kudos.

Thanks for fixing the sideloading issue.
  • drwrosedrwrose Posts: 227Member
    I think I understand what's going on with the forgetting-settings problem: it appears that in Beta 11, it's no longer guaranteed that localStorage will be defined at Javascript startup time.  Instead, it will be populated sometime later, by the time the "ready" event has been received.

Many (most?) apps assume that localStorage will be defined at startup time, and sample their config values at this time.  Thus, these apps will lose their settings each time the Javascript is re-run (which happens when the app is launched).

Presumably this change is a side effect of guaranteeing that each app has its own unique localStorage dictionary.  I hope there is a way to guarantee this uniqueness while also preserving the ability to fully populate localStorage before startup time; otherwise, a lot of apps will need to modify their pebble-app.js.

David