Anyone in the UK got one yet? [Mod edit: Yes, they have]

dalethatcher_olddalethatcher_old Posts: 16Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
If so I'd also like to know when you got your 48 hour address confirmation email and when they told you it was shipped.
Post edited by CaffeineJunkie on
·

Comments

• andymc1989andymc1989 Posts: 1Member
    edited January 2013
    Hey, I've have a good look but I can't see any answers. If I buy a Pebble will I have to pay import VAT and customs duty?

If I'm reading this right..

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_000014#P35_3243

..it would seem for the single pack you'll be charged import VAT and for larger packs you'll be charged customs duty aswell?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    ·
  • mdebonomdebono Posts: 3Member
    edited April 2012
    I guess so, since you're not buying from a country within the EU. That also applies to me as I'm from Malta.

This question was also asked on Pebble's twitter and they should be looking into it (most probably mark it as a gift, since technically that's what it is).
    ·
  • CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 2,266Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    As far as I'm aware the US gov doesn't treat kickstarter rewards as gifts (sales tax is paid) so unfortunately for me as well, I doubt other countries will either.

Edit: though opinion does seem to be divided on the subject.
    Some kickstarter projects seem to have indicated that they paid sales tax, while others are being advised that these are gifts (both the reward and the pledge)

Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it, so as a gift you won't be able to return it for a refund, or complain if it doesn't turn up. If you want consumer rights then you pay tax like you bought it. That being said, they have said there will be a warranty.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 Plus
    ·
  • EricEric Posts: 127Member
    edited April 2012
    We're looking into it, but we will definitely be abiding by all local, state and US laws during the fulfillment process. Won't have any details until later this year when we start shipping.
    ·
  • wilburforcewilburforce Posts: 5Member
    edited May 2012
    > We're looking into it, but we will definitely be abiding by all local, state and US laws during the fulfillment process. Won't have any details until later this year when we start shipping.

Hi Eric.

Whilst I totally agree that you want to abide by all local laws there might be some simple considerations that could save your backers some significant fees.

1) I believe that as backers we have not 'purchased' a watch. The watch is a gift as a 'thank you' for our investment. Marking as a 'Gift' may help with some import duties.
    2) The value of the watch as defined on any paperwork shouldnt be the full RRP as (a) we havent purchased it (as per the previous item) and (b) the RRP is not what it has cost the Pebble company to provide the Gift.

Im sure there are other things to consider too but the two points above are in no way 'lying' or dubious and might just help out your backers :)
    ·
  • bridawgbridawg Posts: 1Member
    edited July 2012
    I think the simplest thing, given that they're coming from China, would be to have a proportion of the watches shipped to the EU for shipping, avoiding import taxes for many EU users.

I realise that the pebble team might have to pay some import taxes for that batch, but that might be offset by a reduced cost of shipping.
    ·
    edited July 2012
    and then theres the additional cost of arranging an EU distribution hub.

I think we're just going to have to accept that in all likelyhood there will be VAT to pay when they get shipped.

Higher costs are something I have come to expect living in the UK.
    Pebble is listed as $150 on their website, but you can bet that if it is ever sold in a UK store the price will be close to £150. This is because of VAT, import duty, shipping, and profit margins for the local stockist.

Case in point. On the Apple website iPads are listed as being from $399 (£258). On Apple UK they are listed as from £329.
    ·
  • EricEric Posts: 127Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi Pebblers!

We're going to be sending some test shipments around world to test our shipping system. Can you help us out? We're looking for volunteers to receive a box in the mail and then report back to us. We will be sending a total of 150 test packages to various Pebble customers around the world.

Help us out at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHgyTXBWR1I5S2l6dnd3dTB2U1BfSXc6MQ
    ·
  • chappers11chappers11 Posts: 20Member
    edited January 2013
    I've read that hmrc page and my understanding is that if you paid less than £135 all you will have to pay is import vat which will be about £16 for one black pebble. Then if you paid more than £135 you'll then have to pay a customs charge I think
    ·
  • fitzperfectfitzperfect Posts: 2Member
    edited January 2013
    Bear in mind also, the courier will levy an admin fee for paying the VAT on your behalf. For example FedEx's 'Advancement fee' is £10.50. UPS charge about £15.
    Both are extortionate, in my view bearing in mind the actual costs involved.
    ·
    edited January 2013
    For the UK the package will arrive via Royal Mail, not courier. Not sure what their charges are.
    ·
  • daymousedaymouse Posts: 3Member
    edited January 2013
    Just want to bump this back up to the top as its a good question! Ive only just ordered my watch and so very new on here. Have we had any more news on hows this is being dealt with?
    ·
    edited January 2013
    In the UK final delivery will be made by Royal Mail.
    Depending on your luck you may or may not be charged VAT (20%) + an £8 handling fee.
    ·
    edited January 2013
    Thanks, so does the also include shipping? It's not very clear )0:
    ·
    edited January 2013
    Thanks, so does the price also include shipping? It's not very clear )0:
    ·
  • kghovanloukghovanlou Posts: 10Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm in the UK. Got the email asking me to confirm my address a couple of days ago, and now account.getpebble.com is saying it's processing the shipment! *excited* I backed on day one though, getting a black pebble.
    ·
  • jefdjandjijefdjandji Posts: 17Member
    edited February 2013
    > I'm in the UK. Got the email asking me to confirm my address a couple of days ago, and now account.getpebble.com is saying it's processing the shipment! *excited* I backed on day one though, getting a black pebble.

I'm exactly in the same situation !
    ·
  • StuhlejStuhlej Posts: 4Member
    edited February 2013
    Yep, same situation here. Backed 11th April, got address confirmation email Tuesday, order just went into processing status. The wait is nearly over!
    ·
  • sajansajan Posts: 4Member
    edited February 2013
    I got my shipment tracking number on the 30th! I backed on the 11th ~7pm UK time!

The only thing is the tracking number doesn't give any details...
    ·
    edited February 2013
    > I got my shipment tracking number on the 30th! I backed on the 11th ~7pm UK time!
    >
    > The only thing is the tracking number doesn't give any details...

Cool! And how long did you stay in "processing shipment"? Thanks
    ·
  • HeikoWagnerHeikoWagner Posts: 11Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi,

i am from Germany. My pledge was placed 11.4.2012 and got my address-validation-Mail on wednesday (30.1), now status stands on "Processing Shipment".

Hope i get my pebble before my birthday (end of february) - would be a nice gift to myself ^^
    ·
  • mightymadmanmightymadman Posts: 5Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm in the UK, got my address verification last night. I backed early evening on the 14/4/12. Will post here as my status changes to the next level as it were!
    ·
  • mightymadmanmightymadman Posts: 5Member
    edited February 2013
    Its moved to processing shipment now!
    ·
  • mmacemmace Posts: 10Member
    edited February 2013
    I backed on 13/4/12
    Got my 48 hour address confirmation on Friday (1/2/13)
    Status is currently "Processing Shipment"
    ·
    edited February 2013
    I was in processing shipment for about 4 days ~

Update: My tracking number is activated and has passed through Singapore and is now somewhere untraceable in the UK! My wife may have missed the delivery!

Will post an update as soon as I get it!
    ·
    edited February 2013
    > I was in processing shipment for about 4 days ~
    >
    > Update: My tracking number is activated and has passed through Singapore and is now somewhere untraceable in the UK! My wife may have missed the delivery!
    >
    > Will post an update as soon as I get it!

Cool Thanks !
    ·
  • CretsterCretster Posts: 37Member
    edited February 2013
    I backed on 18 April, so it'll be interesting to see how much longer before I get the address email etc. Guessing it'll be a while yet, but it can't happen soon enough!!
    ·
  • BobblerBobbler Posts: 11Member
    edited February 2013
    > I was in processing shipment for about 4 days ~
    >
    > Update: My tracking number is activated and has passed through Singapore and is now somewhere untraceable in the UK! My wife may have missed the delivery!
    >
    > Will post an update as soon as I get it!

Don't think they have made it here yet mate, may be a few days to get through - I am in the same state, shipped out the end of last week, update on Singpost today to say it's GB bound on 2nd. I would expect a few days for transit and customs at least.
    ·
    edited February 2013
    I think you're right, I was perhaps being overly optimistic! I now have another courier (USPS) by which my Pebble will be delivered.

The current status of my order is:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

Simply cannot wait!
    ·
  • camsoftcamsoft Posts: 9Member
    edited February 2013
    Has anyone received a pebble in the UK or even internationally outside the US yet?

I backed on the second day and have been at the "Process for Shipment" stage for over a week now.

According to ispebbleshipping.com no international orders have been shipped since the 30-Jan!

I've contacted pebble numerous times on Twitter and initially they replied but once I told them I was in the UK I've not head a single peep out of them since.

Something is smelling fishy.
    ·