Tasker Android app plugin

dattasdattas Posts: 9Member
edited February 2013 in Developer Discussion
Hey all,

Using the developer docs and my background in Android, I've thrown together a quick application that will let you easily send notifications to your pebble using tasker.
I haven't got my pebble yet, however the pebble android app appears to be trying to send the notification so until someone tells me otherwise it should be working.
A neat senerio I setup is sending ALL notification titles to pebble. To do this, ensure the Tasker accessability is enabled, then when adding the context, choose Event -> UI -> Notification. Hit the green check (so all notifications trigger this). In the Task, simply choose the plugin "Pebble Notifier" then choose to configure it. You can use any tasker variables in the title or the body of the message that gets sent, in this case we want to use the tasker variable %NTITLE to grab the notification title.

You can grab the APK or source from: https://code.google.com/p/android-pebble-notifier/

It is also now available in the Google Play store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dattasmoon.pebble.plugin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• semajamessemajames Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2013
    Just tested it! It works! Proof!:http://i.imgur.com/698PhOp.jpg

Edit: Actually... Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it's only sending the text %NTITLE to the pebble, not using the variables...
  • dattasdattas Posts: 9Member
    edited February 2013
    Did you enable the accessability options to Tasker? That variable may not exist otherwise. Give some other variables a try: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/variables.html
  • semajamessemajames Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2013
    Ok I figured out the problem. Apparently I wasn't monitoring the variable?
  • renatobohlerrenatobohler Posts: 149Member
    edited February 2013
    Congratulations on your initiative! Nice to see that there are already people working to improve the experience of Pebble.
  • mmacemmace Posts: 10Member
    edited February 2013
    I've tried using Tasker in the past but could never get the hang of it, any chance of a step-by-step guide for those who have no clue?

All I'm wanting is score updates from Fotmob Pro, they appear on my status bar on the phone. This is because I'm assuming it will give double Gmail notifications otherwise? once using Tasker and once when it connects itself using IMAP?
    edited February 2013
    I recommend starting with the step through they provide on their website: http://tasker.wikidot.com/step-throughs That will get you started creating things. Then I would check out their user guide to get more used to their information: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/index.html
  • Lucid00Lucid00 Posts: 1Member
    edited February 2013
    So the Android API works already.
  • FrayAdjacentFrayAdjacent Posts: 68Member
    edited February 2013
    Cool! I replied on your post in the G+ community page. I just installed it on my GN. Will have to give it a shot. I just freaking LOVE things that work with Tasker!

If any Android users are NOT using Tasker, go punch yourself in the face, then buy Tasker. It makes a smartphone into a SMART phone.
    edited February 2013
    Anyone know how I can get tasker to "monitor the %NTITLE variable"?
    I cannot find anything about that anywhere

> Cool! I replied on your post in the G+ community page. I just installed it on my GN. Will have to give it a shot. I just freaking LOVE things that work with Tasker!
    >
    > If any Android users are NOT using Tasker, go punch yourself in the face, then buy Tasker. It makes a smartphone into a SMART phone.

Never used tasker before, I've tried but it's too complicated
  • Jason71Jason71 Posts: 30Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for doing that. I was hoping someone would sort out a Tasker plugin.
    Don't have my Pebble yet but now I can re-configure my sony MBW150 profiles to work with the Pebble in anticipation.

edited February 2013
    > Anyone know how I can get tasker to "monitor the %NTITLE variable"?
    > I cannot find anything about that anywhere
    >
    > > Cool! I replied on your post in the G+ community page. I just installed it on my GN. Will have to give it a shot. I just freaking LOVE things that work with Tasker!
    > >
    > > If any Android users are NOT using Tasker, go punch yourself in the face, then buy Tasker. It makes a smartphone into a SMART phone.
    >
    > Never used tasker before, I've tried but it's too complicated

Its not too bad for simple stuff like this once you get the hang of it. Its worth doing because it can add a lot to the Pebble
    %NTITLE is linked to a built in function so it is automatically set to the value of the title of the last notification received.
    To use it first create a task and in it select the new pebble plugin and define the title and text that you want to appear, including %NTITLE if you wish
    Now you have the text and the Action but you still need the trigger. This is called a profile.
    Create a profile and set the trigger condition to something like "when I get a notification including the text "abc" or when I get a notification from application xyz
    then you attach your task to the profile. Now when the trigger condition ocurs the task runs and hey presto.

Here is another good one to try . Set a profile to trigger when the phone battery hits 15% then send a notification to the pebble saying "warning charge phone battery"
    The tricky bit with this one is finding a way to make sure it only triggers on the way down to 15% not when charging up through 15% e.g only trigger when NOT on charge.
    edited February 2013
    P.s. I am assuming you have already enabled Tasker in the phone settings/accessibly as someone already said. It will not work work if you don't do that
    edited February 2013
    cheers guys, think I've done it (no Pebble to test it with yet.

from what I've read online, can I set the "owner application" to be a certain app (in this case "FotMob Pro") and it will only show me updates from that app rather than all notifications?
    edited February 2013
    > The tricky bit with this one is finding a way to make sure it only triggers on the way down to 15% not when charging up through 15% e.g only trigger when NOT on charge.

Simply add to the condition that Power, source any, then invert it. This will make the condition be that there is not any power connected to it :)
  • MisterEffMisterEff Posts: 133Member
    edited February 2013
    > > Anyone know how I can get tasker to "monitor the %NTITLE variable"?
    > > I cannot find anything about that anywhere
    > >
    > > > Cool! I replied on your post in the G+ community page. I just installed it on my GN. Will have to give it a shot. I just freaking LOVE things that work with Tasker!
    > > >
    > > > If any Android users are NOT using Tasker, go punch yourself in the face, then buy Tasker. It makes a smartphone into a SMART phone.
    > >
    > > Never used tasker before, I've tried but it's too complicated
    >
    > Its not too bad for simple stuff like this once you get the hang of it. Its worth doing because it can add a lot to the Pebble
    > %NTITLE is linked to a built in function so it is automatically set to the value of the title of the last notification received.
    > To use it first create a task and in it select the new pebble plugin and define the title and text that you want to appear, including %NTITLE if you wish
    > Now you have the text and the Action but you still need the trigger. This is called a profile.
    > Create a profile and set the trigger condition to something like "when I get a notification including the text "abc" or when I get a notification from application xyz
    > then you attach your task to the profile. Now when the trigger condition ocurs the task runs and hey presto.
    >
    > Here is another good one to try . Set a profile to trigger when the phone battery hits 15% then send a notification to the pebble saying "warning charge phone battery"
    > The tricky bit with this one is finding a way to make sure it only triggers on the way down to 15% not when charging up through 15% e.g only trigger when NOT on charge.

Question is can I have it send the the body of the notification. Lets say I have a groupme text I can use %NTITLE to tell me it is from groupme but is there any way to send the text forward?
  • Ricey20Ricey20 Posts: 1Member
    edited February 2013
    I have a question as well. Is it possible to use the Pebble to launch tasks created with tasker?
    edited February 2013
    > > The tricky bit with this one is finding a way to make sure it only triggers on the way down to 15% not when charging up through 15% e.g only trigger when NOT on charge.
    >
    > Simply add to the condition that Power, source any, then invert it. This will make the condition be that there is not any power connected to it :)

Ah don't spoil it Anyway you are assuming that your battery cannot go flat while plugged in. On USB charging I assure you it can. ;o)
    edited February 2013
    > I have a question as well. Is it possible to use the Pebble to launch tasks created with tasker?

I do this with my current MBW150 watch. The open watch app has this feature built in and it exposes all button presses to 3rd party apps so you can press a combination of buttons and have Tasker monitor for it. crude but effective.

In theory you could do something similar with pebble but the only output at the moment from the Pebble app is the music controls so you would have to use those I think.
    It ought to be capable of much more sophisticated behaviour in future via custom pebble apps / tasker plugin.
  • dersiedersie Posts: 1,077Member
    edited February 2013
    Whaou,

You can really send what you want to pebble with this plugin. Tasker can do what you want as a task on android and then they can send the result on the watch. The applications are endless. Very good apps. Without SDK you can already do a lot of things.
  • thequinoxthequinox Posts: 23Member
    edited February 2013
    This is one of the main things I wanted desperatly to do with Pebble! I'm really interested to see if a simple thing like this in Tasker can do the job!
    edited February 2013
    Yea I would like someone to test that as well. I don't currently lock my phone because of the hassle of unlocking every 5 seconds to see a message but if it doesn't require an unlock while its near me that would be great.
    edited February 2013
    If I set "owner application" to the original "recipe" will that then only show notifications from that app? (this is what I'm after)
    edited February 2013
    Yes, I do like this to receive only notifications for K9Mail wich are not sending by the Android Pebble App ???

The INPULSE App send the K9Mail notification but not the Pebble, I don't know why ???

With differents profils in Tasker you can choose your app in the phone to receive notification on Pebble.
    edited February 2013
    > Yes, I do like this to receive only notifications for K9Mail wich are not sending by the Android Pebble App ???
    >
    > The INPULSE App send the K9Mail notification but not the Pebble, I don't know why ???
    >
    > With differents profils in Tasker you can choose your app in the phone to receive notification on Pebble.

Just use tasker.
    edited February 2013
    Tasker and "Pebble Notifier Plugin" ;)

edited February 2013
    Hey All,
    Just wanted to make people aware of a new version that should hit the Android Play store at any time (or you can download it now via this link: https://code.google.com/p/android-pebble-notifier/ ). Here are the new features:

- Ability to send notifications without the use of Tasker (requires you to enable an accessibility service)

- Ability to exclude all notifications from certain applications (only outside of Tasker)

- Ability to only send notifications from certain applications (only outside of Tasker)

- If you like my work and would like to donate, this is now a donate button in app!

Planned features:

Setting up profiles which would allow people to setup their white or black list of applications, then use Tasker to flip between those profiles whenever they chose.
  • SeshuSeshu Posts: 13Member
    edited February 2013
    @renato.bohler Works like a charm! I can use this. :-)
    edited February 2013

> - Ability to send notifications without the use of Tasker (requires you to enable an accessibility service)
    >

Can you explain how it works without Tasker ?

At this time Plugin Pebble Notifier is the best app for Pebble than can I find. It's really magic.
  • renatobohlerrenatobohler Posts: 149Member
    edited February 2013
    > @renato.bohler Works like a charm! I can use this. :-)

Nice! Thanks for testing :-D