Completely dead Pebble.

sphericalpumasphericalpuma Posts: 11Member
edited February 2013 in Support
So I received my pebble on 02/08/13. I took it out, powered it on, updated the firmware and connected the charging cable and let it charge for a while. I never saw an indicator but I thought that was normal.

Today my pebble shut off and when I tried to power it back on it told me there was a low battery. Again, I connected my charger and let it charge for a few hours, only to discover it still said low battery. I tried a reboot and factory reset and now my Pebble will not turn on/show any display whatsoever.

I've sent the Pebble team an e-mail through the Android app but have not heard anything, and right now am sitting with a very expensive paperweight.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dwyroc1dwyroc1 Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2013
    Similar problem here. I got my pebble feb 8th as well. Used it right out of the boxed and charged it up over night. I put it on first thing yesterday and wore it all day and to work. I was outside for about 25 minutes and the watch died (it's about 20 degrees f here). I put I in the car while I finished working. I got home and went to plug it in. It turned on when I pressed a button and then died again. I plugged it in and pressed the back abd up botton for 2 secons then the screen switched to a dead pebble ( little watch with x's over the eyes) and what I presume to be my pebbles Id. It looks officially dead and I don't know what do to. I sent an email via the ios app. We'll see but I think I killed my pebble!
  • TimWTimW Posts: 7Member
    edited February 2013
    Me too. However, when I plug the cable into my Mac it tells me that a USB device is drawing too much power and it is turning off USB. This is before even plugging in the Pebble (which is now dead since I can't charge it). I think it is the cables which are defective and the Pebbles are arriving with a few hours charge left in them from the QA tests.

I think the cables need a bit more QA! A lot of them seem to be going out with short circuits in. (Or my guess about the cables being defective is completely wrong).
  • sphericalpumasphericalpuma Posts: 11Member
    edited February 2013
    > So I received my pebble on 02/08/13. I took it out, powered it on, updated the firmware and connected the charging cable and let it charge for a while. I never saw an indicator but I thought that was normal.
    >
    > Today my pebble shut off and when I tried to power it back on it told me there was a low battery. Again, I connected my charger and let it charge for a few hours, only to discover it still said low battery. I tried a reboot and factory reset and now my Pebble will not turn on/show any display whatsoever.
    >
    > I've sent the Pebble team an e-mail through the Android app but have not heard anything, and right now am sitting with a very expensive paperweight.

Update: Still no email from support, and after having my Pebble connected all night to charge, it still won't turn on. No combination of button presses displays anything on the screen, so looks like I'll be sending it back whenever the team gets back to me. Hopefully they produced a few extra for warranty purposes and I won't have to wait forever to receive a new one.

I'm also wondering if the charging cable is bad as well. It's a shame, I really enjoyed the watch in the brief time I got to use it.
  • dwyroc1dwyroc1 Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2013
    I plugged my watch into my macbook air and didn't get any message about high power use. Does your pebble just not turn on or are you displaying a dead pebble too?
    edited February 2013
  • adamjs83adamjs83 Posts: 7Member
    edited February 2013
    I am having the exact same issue. I received mine on the 8th. After the initial charge ran out the pebble has turned off and is not charging. I have tried multiple usb chargers and same result with all. No response yet from Pebble support.
    edited February 2013
    > I am having the exact same issue. I received mine on the 8th. After the initial charge ran out the pebble has turned off and is not charging. I have tried multiple usb chargers and same result with all. No response yet from Pebble support.

Same boat here. I've sent three emails and haven't heard anything. The pebble twitter account sent me a DM and said they'd contact me soon if I sent an email.

I'm clearly not the only person with a bad pebble/charger.
    edited February 2013
    It turned on for a while and just showed a pictogram of a nearly empty battery. Eventually the battery exhausted itself enough that there isn't enough power to turn it on at all. I think there are two issues here. 1.cables with a short . 2 cables with a break. There may be some dead pebbles but mostly I believe that these are cable issues. ..or at least I hope so. ..
    edited February 2013
    > It turned on for a while and just showed a pictogram of a nearly empty battery. Eventually the battery exhausted itself enough that there isn't enough power to turn it on at all. I think there are two issues here. 1.cables with a short . 2 cables with a break. There may be some dead pebbles but mostly I believe that these are cable issues. ..or at least I hope so. ..

Well I hope to hear from support today. It's frustrating waiting for something for a long time and then when you get it, it doesn't work
    edited February 2013

>
    > Well I hope to hear from support today. It's frustrating waiting for something for a long time and then when you get it, it doesn't work

Agreed. I just hope that with the rush to get units out that they are prepared to handle these issues without bumping us to the end of the line.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2013
    Support has got back to me in a very positive and professional manner. Not yet fixed - but I'm very happy that the issue is being addressed.
    edited February 2013
    > Support has got back to me in a very positive and professional manner. Not yet fixed - but I'm very happy that the issue is being addressed.

My issue is that I need a new charging cable (I hope) but so far have yet to hear back. The twitter account said it would pass on a nudge to the team and that no further action was required, but as of now I've yet to hear anything.
  • EricEric Posts: 284Administrator
    edited February 2013
    > > Support has got back to me in a very positive and professional manner. Not yet fixed - but I'm very happy that the issue is being addressed.
    >
    > My issue is that I need a new charging cable (I hope) but so far have yet to hear back. The twitter account said it would pass on a nudge to the team and that no further action was required, but as of now I've yet to hear anything.

Working through a backlog of email to our support channels (lots of new users), but we'll get to everyone. Sorry about the delay :(
    Eric Migicovsky | Team Pebble | getpebble.com | @Pebble
    •••
    edited February 2013
    I finally heard from support on this. They are sending me a return label and will send a replacement unit once the see my RMA has shipped. I was suprised they they didn't just email me the return label like almost every other tech company I dealt with in the last few years. Disappointing that the turn around on this replacement of a dead unit is taking so long, but considering how long we've already waited its not the end of the world.
  • SharimalinSharimalin Posts: 30Member
    edited February 2013
    Yeah. Double disappointment on the defective unit AND the poor customer service. I got the email about a shipping label last night. Still haven't seen the label. Plus, does this mean we go to the back of the line to receive our replacement watches?
    edited February 2013
    I don't think we go to the back of the line. The e-mail I received said:

"Once the tracking shows the return unit in enroute, I'll have you reshipped a new unit."

I'm hoping that means they put new units aside for support fulfillment.
  • KingsixKingsix Posts: 30Member
    edited February 2013
    I would doubt that they would push you to the end, but patience is required. I don't call a mailed instead of emailed return label poor customer service, I'd call it an unfortunate circumstance.

I personally guarantee that you will have your replacement before I get my 5 pack full of colors that I ordered on the last possible day (before the sell out). Your reward if I'm wrong: My whole heart'd honest apology and sad feelings for your misfortune, and a beer if we happen to live in the same place.
  • dutchdutch Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2013
    Must be *some* backlog - not even an automated "we're working on it" message. My Pebble is dead since Sunday. Got it Friday. No response from support after 3 emails. It's sad because for the almost 2 days it worked I loved it.

I know I won't be able to get $ back from Kickstarter, but I hope for a replacement sometime before the warranty runs out.
    edited February 2013
    I put my pebble back in the mail (FedEx) on Wednesday morning. I emailed the support folks with the tracking number and got a response late last night.

"Thanks Shari! I'll add you to next shipping batch."

Lord only knows what that actually means. I know most folks have been stuck at shipment sent since the beginning of CNY. I don't expect I'll see my replacement pebble before the end of the month.
  • PebbleRLPebbleRL Posts: 6Member
    edited February 2013
    I have a Mac Pro and got the same "too much power" error. Will be sending a note to support immediately.
  • indieslapindieslap Posts: 3Member
    edited February 2013
    sadly, mine is dead as well. I shouldnt have powered it off :(
  • HexxehHexxeh Posts: 8Member
    edited February 2013
    Copy pasting my response from Reddit:

I had the same thing happen last Sunday. Pebble said they'd ship a replacement, but I happened to poke around with it last night having left it unplugged for a few days and it magically came back to life.

So this might sound weird, but give it a shot. If any of them works, you can obviously stop, but try them in this order.
    With the charge cable unplugged:

1) Hold enter for 20 second
    2) Hold up, enter and back for 20 seconds

Now try the same again, but with the charge cable connected. Still not working? Try the same things again, but whilst you're holding the buttons, connect the charge cable. With any luck, your Pebble will spring back into life.

Still doesn't work? Contact Pebble for an RMA. Whilst you're waiting though, leave the watch disconnected from the power for a while, maybe a couple days. And then try the above again.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on! :)
    edited February 2013
    > I put my pebble back in the mail (FedEx) on Wednesday morning. I emailed the support folks with the tracking number and got a response late last night.
    >
    > "Thanks Shari! I'll add you to next shipping batch."
    >
    > Lord only knows what that actually means. I know most folks have been stuck at shipment sent since the beginning of CNY. I don't expect I'll see my replacement pebble before the end of the month.

I sent mine back Thursday, with the label they e-mailed me. I guess I should email support and give them the tracking number so they can add me to the next shipping batch.
    edited February 2013
    I sent mine back last Wednesday and e-mail support with the tracking number. Their response was: "Your replacement will be shipped on Friday or early next week." As of today I haven't heard anything. Has anyone else received a replacement or an indication that a replacement has shipped?
    edited February 2013
    > I sent mine back last Wednesday and e-mail support with the tracking number. Their response was: "Your replacement will be shipped on Friday or early next week." As of today I haven't heard anything. Has anyone else received a replacement or an indication that a replacement has shipped?

UPDATE:

I sent mine last Thursday and an e-mail a few days ago asking when it would ship. I was told either "later this week or early next." I got the shipping confirmation e-mail early this morning, so hopefully I'll have it by Saturday, or Monday.
    edited February 2013
    I got the tracking number three days ago. According to USPS, all they know is the electronic label was created on the 17th. I doubt I'll have the watch anytime soon. And I'm beginning to doubt the usefulness of it when it does arrive. What are the odds of me getting two defective watches? What are the odds of there ever being any apps for the watch? What are the odds of this company either going belly up or being absorbed by a larger company with the soul purpose of buying out any possible competition?

I have been disappointed by kickstarter projects before (most notably the Touchfire) but even if *I* didn't like the product, it did what it was supposed to do based on the claims made by the creators of the projects. This experience with Pebble has really soured me on backing tech projects on Kickstarter. Failure to give backers what they believed would be the functions of the watch based not only on written claims, but also on the video (later shown to be doctored to an extent that one might call it lies) and "photographs" and the abysmal customer service and lack of communication from the company have doomed this project to be nothing but a cautionary tale for crowd funded tech project backers.
    edited February 2013
    I sort of feel the same way.
    Its really frustrating waiting for the Pebble to finally get delivered and this happens.
    I still have yet to receive a reply from support.
  • tIPODgraphictIPODgraphic Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2013
    Received 2 days ago (2/20). Turned of in the night. In the morning it doesn't turn on. Yesterday, recharged for 2-3 hours, without response. It's dead.

My fear is that I live in Spain (Europe) and if they tell me that I have to pay the shipping is not going to make me any grace :?
    edited February 2013
    > Received 2 days ago (2/20). Turned of in the night. In the morning it doesn't turn on. Yesterday, recharged for 2-3 hours, without response. It's dead.
    >
    > My fear is that I live in Spain (Europe) and if they tell me that I have to pay the shipping is not going to make me any grace :?

Sounds like my issue. I honestly don't think in my case it was the watch, but the cable. Regardless, Pebble wanted both the watch and the cable back.
    edited February 2013
    > Received 2 days ago (2/20). Turned of in the night. In the morning it doesn't turn on. Yesterday, recharged for 2-3 hours, without response. It's dead.
    >
    > My fear is that I live in Spain (Europe) and if they tell me that I have to pay the shipping is not going to make me any grace :?

Same with mine, and they insist on it being a bad cable.
    With a week and a half with no response to the 4 emails I sent I think I want a refund instead.
    I posted the topic on reddit a week ago, and some users posted some solutions they might help.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pebble/comments/18o9th/pebble_help_i_think_mine_is_dead/