Samsung Talkback Issue and Pebble

MartinCalverMartinCalver Posts: 4Member
edited April 2013 in Support
Hi, Samsung recently sent my phone a firmware update to Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 . After this update, whenever i swipe across my phone's screen a synthesised voice says "screen one of four" then "screen two of four" and so on. The only way to stop this is to switch off the Pebble service under Accessibility.  Any ideas?Thanks.
Post edited by Joseph on

Comments

• HankHank Posts: 101Member

Hi there,

I already addressed that in a support e-mail; maybe it is also interesting for the public.

I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.1.2.

When Pebble is enabled under accessibilities -> Services the devices does Voice talkback like "Page one of four" when you scroll the home screen. When I switch the Pebble service off, the voice talkback stops.

This seems to be a general problem with applications that use services under 4.1.2 with Samsung devices. See: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23105

But, it looks like there is a fix available: http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=GeneralB&messageId=204387&startId=zzzzz~#post30

Hank
    Watchface ninety_hank on Github: SDK1 SDK2
    edited March 2013
    No it does not. I want to use TTS; but not with the talkback function (e.g. with my car profile).
    The "Talkback" service is already disabled. And disabling the Pebble service is not an option; but however it makes the voice disappear. That is why we would need the fix in the Pebble app itself.
    The Pebble service does trigger TTS unnecessarily at the moment.
    Post edited by Hank on
    Hank
  • FoddyFoddy Posts: 15Member
    Hello Hank,

this is a Samsung bug.
    It's the same with my S3.

It should be fixed by Samsung!

Foddy
    The fix I posted should be implementable by Pebble (as a workaround). Samsung fixes are to be expected quite sluggishly IMO.
    Hank
  • FoddyFoddy Posts: 15Member
    edited March 2013
    As far as I understood, the fix will disable TTS completely.
    I use TTS with Endomondo. If I do as instructed, it won't work with Endomondo.

So that's no workaround for me.

Foddy
    Post edited by Foddy on
    Well yea, that's disappointing. Let's see how fast Samsung can provide a fix. I assume that somebody on XDA Developers might be able to do something.
    Hank
  • JimRothJimRoth Posts: 24Member Pebbler
    I had that happen to me, nothing to do with Pebble.  Pull the battery, you should be good to go.
  • MartinCalverMartinCalver Posts: 4Member
    Its definitely a Pebble app problem. I removed the battery, also did a complete factory reset, tried without the app installed, no problem, but as soon as I installed the app it starts again, but if I switch off the Accessibility option the problem disappears.
  • Maverik1101Maverik1101 Posts: 3Member
    It's definetly a Samsung issue. Same Problem when activating NoLED accessibility
  • MartinCalverMartinCalver Posts: 4Member
    I've had the same problem, I disabled Google and Android TTS and installed SVOX Classic TTS from Google Play (also have to install a separate voice file). Seems to have cured the problem. I can now use my Google Maps Navigation App and not have the screen swipe problem.

• KenRobinsonKenRobinson Posts: 1Member
    I'm having the same issue. I have removed the pebble apps. I don't know what TTS is and all, I just simply want to know if Pebble is working with Samsung on a fix for my S3. I can't have it loudly reading all my text back so what i the latest info on a fix please.

P.S. I'm not a tech-head (I think I am, but compared to the sharp people on this forum, I don't fall into that catagory) so you have to keep things simple.

Thanks,
  • AjithPrabhudevAjithPrabhudev Posts: 1Member
    edited April 2013
    How can i disable this? I tried putting my phone to mute and yet, opening and closing of the pebble app seems to result in an audible notification (a female voice speaking out "Folder is now open" or "Folder is not closed"). Has anyone come across the same issue? I have a Galaxy S3. Just got my watch today.
    Post edited by Joseph on
  • AjithPrabhudevAjithPrabhudev Posts: 1Member
    **** The Subject should have been "Audible notification on my android phone when opening/closing any folder post enabling Pebble Notification*****

This happened ever since I enabled Pebble notification. I noticed that this has nothing to do with opening/closing the pebble app but instead, a result of enabling Pebble notification. I see that right above the Pebble option in the Accessibility menu, is the TalkBack feature. Although I have TalkBack turned off, opening/closing any folder on my phone seems to result in the above said audible notification.
  • erroristerrorist Posts: 28Member
    I have this problem too after an update on my Galaxy S2 today. So now I can't use my pebble - is this right? Are there jelly bean users who don't have this problem, or have managed to conquer it somehow? 
  • erroristerrorist Posts: 28Member
    Thank you so much whacko. I had fiddled continuously with the settings, but it hadn't occurred to me to disable the services themselves. All is well again (until I restart the phone, I presume). Good work :)
  • YevhenVainshteinYevhenVainshtein Posts: 7Member
    Thanks, whacko!
    I've just got my Pebble, and updated my Galaxy S2... As a result- same problems as was described by otheres.
    Thanks for helping to find a solution!

• BarryMargoliusBarryMargolius Posts: 1Member
    I am experiencing the same problem on my Samsung Note 2.
  • JosephJoseph Posts: 567Administrator admin

It's a Samsung bug we're hoping to resolve.

Joseph Kristoffer | Community Manager | getpebble.com | @Pebble
    •••
    Pebble Help and FAQs » | Suggestions and Ideas » | Contact Pebble »

• RyanTivisRyanTivis Posts: 1Member
    Just curious if there's been any updates on this. My Note 2 is also doing the same thing..
  • ChaseBlahutaChaseBlahuta Posts: 1Member
    This is happening on my Note 2 also. I had Light Flow but uninstalled when I read others complaining about the voice yet it is still happening. When I disable Pebble in the Accessibility settings, the voices stop and I am able to sleep at night without hearing "HOME SCREEN EDIT PAGE OPEN" in my dreams. Obviously turning Pebble off is not a quality solution as you just end up with the craziest looking digital watch ever made.

Rant over, anyone find any solutions yet? :)
  • SamShuckSamShuck Posts: 1Member
    the only thing ive found that helps is if you turn the sound on media off and keep all other on. you no longer hear the voice
  • spudspud Posts: 61Member
    My Galaxy S3 just received an update (I9300XXEMC2). I don't have my Pebble yet. But I hoped someone could confirm that maybe this update already fixed the issue?
  • JosephJoseph Posts: 567Administrator admin
    Samsung's Development team has found the cause of the issue and has fixed it. They will be including the fix in the next version.

Joseph Kristoffer | Community Manager | getpebble.com | @Pebble
    •••
    Pebble Help and FAQs » | Suggestions and Ideas » | Contact Pebble »

• RobertStarobinRobertStarobin Posts: 1Member
    I'm getting a similar issue on my HTC Evo 4G; talkback is disabled in the settings, but when I open Gmail, it'll start reading message out to me. It hasn't happened with any other apps so far. 
  • andrewpmooreandrewpmoore Posts: 6Member
    Well samsung may have a fix (for the s3), but they've messed up again with the s4.

This time it's not the homescreen that has problems, it's the browser and the gallery apps. Also when switching on accessibility you get a message that it'll turn off air gesture, air view, assistant menu, smart screen, interaction control and multiwindow.

It says it's doing this because you are switching talkback on (which you aren't).

All these options are possible to be switched back on via the phones settings without issue, but the talkback in the browser and gallery can't be switched off.

Samsung really don't "get" the accessibility service and clearly only test with the shipped talkback app and don't think of testing with any other apps that use the service.

Very frustrating. I'm not expecting anything to be done by Pebble as it's not their issue.
    I'm the developer of lightflow by the way that's been working on getting other app developers together to report this on the samsung developers forum thread.

Could somebody from Pebble join in with the conversation 
    http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=GeneralB&messageId=204387 (even if just to say "me too") as hopefully more weight from developers will help them look into it.
  • bbk3ebbk3e Posts: 169Member
    whacko said:
    My Galaxy S3 got an update yesterday and I can confirm that this bug is fixed at least for the Sprint version of the Galaxy S3. 

The build number of the latest version is L710VPBMD4 and also adds some nice features like multi-view and some improved camera options.
    My S3 (on Verizon Wireless US) hasn't been updated.  Still on build JZO54K.I535VRBMB1
    Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2); Black Pebble - KS Backer
    @whacko -  I sort of figured as much since my build number is so different than yours.  In any case, I had the phone check for an update and it says I'm on the latest (Verizon) build.
  • EmmanuelSandersEmmanuelSanders Posts: 86Member Pebbler
    Do we have an update on this issue ?
    whacko said:
    Do we have an update on this issue ?

Samsung has been rolling out a fix for this issue in their recent updates for some phones. An update I got a month back resolved this problem for my Sprint GS3. Verizon's GS3 got an update today which probably contains the same fix, however I don't know anyone with a Verizon GS3 that I can have test it for me. Maybe if @bbk3e's phone gets the update he can test it out for us.

@whacko - Thanks for the info!  I didn't know there was a Verizon GS3 update - I thought it would be updated automatically, but so far not.  I'm downloading now and will try it out.  I'll report back later on what I think.
    The latest update from Verizon for GS3 seems to have worked for me.  I've opened a bunch of folders and gone to different screens and opened up navigation and everything works the way I would want it to (no unnecessary voice prompts).

Cool.