Update #34 Pebble Watchface SDK Coming Out in April

CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 2,266Moderator mod
edited March 2013 in Announcements and Updates

Big news this week is that we're getting the watchface SDK ready to be out into the wild. We're going to publish it during the 2nd week of April. We're also publishing a firmware update next week, and while we have definitely not finished our manufacturing work, over 40,000 Pebbles have been built to date.

Firmware Update Next Week

In other news next week we'll be publishing a firmware update for Pebble, version 1.9. With this latest update, we've changed around the interface flow. Watchfaces are now at the bottom of the window stack; if you keep pressing the back button from anywhere inside Pebble's menus, you'll get to your previously displayed watchface. The right top and bottom (up and down) buttons now change between different watchfaces you've installed on your Pebble. This simplifies the main launcher menu. We've also made a lot of changes under the hood on the text rendering engine, making it easier and faster for developers to display text on Pebble.

Watchface SDK

Right from the beginning, PebbleOS was built with multiple apps in mind. This was mainly in reaction to the developer response to our first watch, inPulse. In the fall, as we began work on the user facing apps on Pebble, we started using a prototype of the SDK internally to develop watchfaces for Pebble. That's when we knew that the first release of the SDK would be mainly geared towards watchfaces as this was the first type of app that would be well supported. It turns out games are similar in structure (only require button inputs), so they are also candidates for this revision of the native SDK :)

Important note: the proof-of-concept Pebble watchface SDK will not enable access to the accelerometer (or magnetometer), or communication between watchfaces and smartphones (among other major deficiencies).

As a small company, we had to be very careful with our focus and priorities. We knew that getting Pebble into mass production and shipping watches to you, our Kickstarter backers, needed to be our prime objective. We also knew that the out of box experience was important which is why we worked really hard to support the wide variety of Android devices and iOS variations right from the start.

During the 2nd week of April, we'll be releasing a proof-of-concept watchface SDK. It's a work in progress, and there's a 99% chance that we're going to be changing a lot of the APIs...but it's an important first step towards shifting our focus towards supporting developers. I know we have communicated very poorly to developers up until this point, but we hope that you'll understand how important it was for us and for Pebble as a platform to have the initial release of the hardware go well.

We made the decision to beta test the watchface SDK with hacker backers. It's been incredible seeing just what a small subset of the Pebble developer community has created in a short period of time. As soon as the watchface SDK is released, developers will be free to share all apps that they've created. The good news is that the following 3 apps will be available as soon as firmware version 1.9 is released next.

Hoe Laat Is Het?, by Hudson (Can you tell time in Dutch?)

Fairly classic watchface

Snake game, by Nicholas

If you're searching for inspiration for your first Pebble watchface design, look no further than the fantastic Pebble Concepts site, hosted by RichardG. We're big fans of a bunch of designs there, but remember that some designs will not be implementable using the proof-of-concept watchface SDK. Pebble's display is 144 x 168 pixels, black and white only.

Some of the awesome Pebble-compatible designs that Pebblers have submitted to RichardG's site!

Tidbits from the Pebble World

• Production of Red lenses happened this week (the first colour that has gone into production so far). Next step is to optically bond the display to these lenses, which will be happening next week.
  • Two thousand long watch straps will be shipped next week by letter mail. Over 85% of the Kickstarter backers who ordered long straps are in this first batch.
  • Over 40,000 Pebbles have been manufactured so far, with many more on the way (check ispebbleshipping.com for recent stats)
  • We're doing our best to work our way through all technical questions and issues. The best spot to start if you have any issues is at help.getpebble.com, then if you continue to have a problem, please use the 'Contact Support' or 'Email Support' button inside the Pebble iOS or Android app.

We know we've got a lot of work ahead of us, but we're really pumped up so far with the early reactions from Pebblers on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, our (new) forums and more! While we can't respond to everything out there, we do read voraciously. Keep the feedback coming, thanks Pebblers!

Eric + Pebble Team

(CJ: Sorry for the delay cross posting this.  Limited access to a PC this weekend as out with the family, and impossible to do on an iPhone)

Post edited by CaffeineJunkie on
Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• NagyTamasNagyTamas Posts: 2Member
    Thank you!

But what about multiple notifications issue? Can you give us some information?
  • thematrix211thematrix211 Posts: 52Member
    Just updated my Pebble to V1.9.0, I was under the impression a new watch face was also going to be available ?
    I love my Pebble, would just like to see the Fairly Classic Watch Face pushed out, hopefully with a 12 hour option.
    Thanks for the update, love your work.
  • orviwanorviwan Posts: 2,741Member, Moderator mod
    It doesn't have a 12 hour option.. yet!

Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 (iOS 8)

Available on the Pebble appstore
    91 Dub 3.0
    The Day Today
    Chunk Weather 2.0
    Aviator
  • skyjumperskyjumper Posts: 106Member
    Erik & crew, I got my first Pebble this afternoon, and played with it all evening. Its very cool! I'm chomping at the bit for the SDK, since I have a very specific app in mind. 

Could you share with us some basic information we can use for planning purposes? Like which M3 is in there, how much SRAM and/or EEPROM is available for custom apps? How will the SDK work, did you guys create some kind of scripting type language or can we program directly in C/C++ using GCC? Info like this would really let us at least do some thinking about what's possible...

• SaeranSaeran Posts: 421Member Pebbler
    Just updated my Pebble to V1.9.0, I was under the impression a new watch face was also going to be available ? I love my Pebble, would just like to see the Fairly Classic Watch Face pushed out, hopefully with a 12 hour option. Thanks for the update, love your work.
    The "Fairly Classic" watchface has been released under the name "91 Dub".  Unfortunately there's only a 24 hour version at the moment.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9505) • Double Kickstarter Edition Black Pebble Time • Kickstarter Edition Black Pebble • @saeranm on Twitter • saeran.com
  • FabienPinsonFabienPinson Posts: 2Member
    Thank you!

But what about multiple notifications issue? Can you give us some information?

yes please give us some info about multiple notifications .....
  • thematrix211thematrix211 Posts: 52Member
    Never mind, good things come to those who wait.
  • DVD01DVD01 Posts: 1Member
    edited March 2013

I am/was excited about the 'hoe laat is het?' watchface!

Maybe I misunderstood the update (as my native language is Dutch this would not suprise me) but I am not seeing this watchface available !?

Post edited by DVD01 on
  • StephenJHutchisonStephenJHutchison Posts: 2Member Pebbler
    Just got 1.9 update (as I was reading this article) and it looks sweet. Acts a bit differently, but not counter-intuitive.

Looking forward to the eventual accelerometer unlock :)
  • DVDDVD Posts: 4Member
    DVD said:

I am/was excited about the 'hoe laat is het?' watchface!

Maybe I misunderstood the update (as my native language is Dutch this would not suprise me) but I am not seeing this watchface available !?

Great, just read on twitter the 'hoe laat is het' watchface is available. Unfortunately my pebble won't wake up!! It seems to be DEAD :(
  • ShaunTuckerShaunTucker Posts: 2Member
    All this is great, but how/when can we get the apps like they show in the KS video?  Biking, running?  I don't really care about having more watch faces.
  • LeDuyDatLeDuyDat Posts: 2Member
    edited March 2013
    i want info like Shaun Tucker
    Post edited by LeDuyDat on
  • SebbiSebbi Posts: 10Member
    During the 2nd week of April, we'll be releasing a proof-of-concept watchface SDK

So .... where is it? ;-)
    Update 35 will be with us this week.

91 Dub 3.0
    The Day Today
    Chunk Weather 2.0
    Aviator
  • RayRosherRayRosher Posts: 1Member Pebbler
    Got my Pebble a few days ago and absolutely love it! Upgraded it out of the box to 1.9 firmware update and haven't noticed any battery problems! 
    How ever a couple of things! I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note (android)
    And can't seem to get the music side of the pebble to work, pebble shows  no Music found! their doesn't  seem to be a way to point the pebble or phone's music app towards each other!
    Love this thing though use it more than my other watch's
  • StefanWolfrumStefanWolfrum Posts: 2Member
    April 11 ... did I miss something? Or do I need to be more patient? (It's so hard!)
  • leeandyleeandy Posts: 25Member Pebbler
    Ok so the 2nd week of April is nearly up, is the SDK still planned for this week?
    Indeed it is. I don't like playing the waiting game, lets play Hungry Hungry Hippos :)

91 Dub 3.0
    The Day Today
    Chunk Weather 2.0
    Aviator
  • bbk3ebbk3e Posts: 169Member
    http://forums.getpebble.com/discussion/comment/25300/#Comment_25300

I just came across this in another thread.  I wonder if that means the SDK will not be out this week?  Not trying to cause a stir, but it seems like it is relevant info.

I am not on Twitter/Reddit, etc, so there may have been other info released via those methods?
    Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2); Black Pebble - KS Backer
  • JosephJoseph Posts: 567Administrator admin
  • FredericFrederic Posts: 36Member Pebbler

Joseph said:
    Cool. When is the iOS version to be released ?
    iPhone 6, iOS 9, no jailbreak
  • bbk3ebbk3e Posts: 169Member
    Joseph said:
    Great!  I guess the day is not over and "mid-April" is Monday anyway...
    Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2); Black Pebble - KS Backer
  • JosephJoseph Posts: 567Administrator admin
    Yeah, it's just passed 9am in California.

Joseph Kristoffer | Community Manager | getpebble.com | @Pebble
    •••
    Pebble Help and FAQs » | Suggestions and Ideas » | Contact Pebble »

• Jose_LuisJose_Luis Posts: 292Member Regular
    edited April 2013

Joseph said:
    Cool. When is the iOS versionI  to be released ?
    I guess it depends more on Apple (in case it´s some iOS App update on the tracks).
    Post edited by Jose_Luis on

iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.6 Jailbreak)

This discussion has been closed.