My Review of Pebble

Tony01Tony01 Posts: 64Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
Just got my pebble in (4 days ago) , thought I would do a quick review for all those eagerly waiting..

Software
  • The menu navigation is extremely fast (no lag), the latest firmware does a nice job of organizing the new watch faces. 
  • Limited to 8 watch faces - not a big deal for me I really only use 1 or 2 but as apps come along I am concerned of how much internal storage will be available. 
  • I have had zero issues with the pebble dying randomly or disconnecting from my watch (within reasonable circumstances, of course if you walk ..id say 20+ feet away it looses signal)
  • Only complaint I have software side is the need for an always on battery indicator, not knowing where my battery life stands can be annoying
  • All my notifications have worked with no issues which is completely unexpected.
Screen
  • While I haven't scratched mine, its coming.. if you are rough on your watches you will want to consider a screen protector (mine came with plastic on the watch face so, for now I will keep that on)
  • In daylight I can see everything on the screen crystal clear no issues at all, I am pretty impressed with the ePaper/eInk/LCD screen :)
  • You can see pixels, it is not enough to bother me and I don't think the average user will have any issues but its worth noting if you are like me carrying around all these retina/hd devices
  • Back light works and makes text readable at night, no complaints, had no issues with bluetooth.
Battery
  • I have gone 4 days uncharged and I have not seen the low battery sign in the menu, looking good.
Band
I thought I would put this one in its own category because I feel this really is where pebble team dropped the ball on quality. The band is absolutely awful (sorry pebble team), it is not the thick band shown in the kickstarter video, it is very thin, looks cheap, doesn't form to your wrist well and honestly hurts to wear sometimes. Prob cost them 2 cents in china. You will need to find a new band if not have one ready when the pebble arrives (22mm). 
Ideas
  • Absolutely love getting text on my watch, only issue is I cannot reply to them. I think a predefined list of responses would be nice. Suggestions would be - OK, YES, NO, CALL YOU LATER, ON MY WAY.. even some user defined ones would be nice. I bet this is already in the works but just a suggestion.
  • I would imagine that Pebble 2.0 will have a mic, thus allowing Siri functionality, not sure how battery life would workout but would add tons of functionality to the watch.
Customer Service
<rant> Flat out, the communication from this company was horrible from the time that they realized they couldn't delivery to the time I received the item was unpleasant. It was about a 1 year journey that I will never do again with another product</rant>

Rating
I would give this watch a 7/10 - Being able to reply back to text and upgraded strap would put it to a 9, if it had all that and a mic for Siri (dreaming) it would be a 10. Id like to note I gave a 1 point reduction for the strap, although it should probably be more and I would give another 2 point deduction if we factored in communication/delays from the company but this is strictly a device rating.

About me: 
I am a Software Engineer I work on stuff like.. C#, Rapsberry Pi, Arduino, Jquery, Python
I am on latest iOS firmware with iPhone 4S
Eric throw me that SDK :)
Post edited by Tony01 on

Comments

• Tony01Tony01 Posts: 64Member
    Also like to note, I backed on 4/22 - BLACK
  • Comediante72Comediante72 Posts: 38Member
    No issues with iOS?

Emails, caller ID, etc...

Thank you!
    No issues, all my emails have come through so far and caller id appears to be working. 

I have alerts coming from many apps actually, all of them working without an issue. One item I forgot to address, pebble doesnt mark your text as "read" in the Messages app on the phone once you have actually read them, its a pain sometimes but not a big deal for me.

Are you making the toggle dancing with all the apps when the BT connection is broken and fixed again?

Which apps are you receiving alerts?

Thank you again!
    When I first paired the watch with my phone I did in fact do the "toggle dance" with the apps I wanted to receive alerts from - but I havent done it since. The apps that are tested working for me are IM+, Mailbox, CNN and Facebook.

I have only broken the connection once and when I reconnected I didnt have any issues getting alerts, ill do some more testing on that and report back.

Thank you for the great review, for the good news about the lack of issues with iOS, and for keeping us informed about your next tests!!

Best regards.
    Thank you for the great review, for the good news about the lack of issues with iOS, and for keeping us informed about your next tests!! Best regards.
    Thanks! 
  • Tony's experience is almost the opposite of mine!  

No Caller ID & No Email or any other Notifications at all. 

Flick wrist to backlight doesn't work either. 

What does work? Watch faces work, music control works, SMS notification works. Backlight works with button push. 
    Tony's experience is almost the opposite of mine!  

No Caller ID & No Email or any other Notifications at all. 

Flick wrist to backlight doesn't work either. 

What does work? Watch faces work, music control works, SMS notification works. Backlight works with button push. 
    Wow do you have an android phone? I just tested my flick wrist blacklight, it is hard to activate but works great.
    Little bit of an update: 

My pebble finally died last night, so it lasted about 5 days. I checked for low battery all day yesterday but when I woke up it was dead, so I don't think the battery indicators are really that effective. After about 30 mins of charging it looks to be charged enough to last me through the day but we will see.

I did some testing last night with bluetooth range and I did find some issues with notifications after my watch had left bluetooth range. My first test I placed my phone on one side of my house and walked to the other 40 feet or so away and lost connection. When I returned I was not getting any alerts but text messages, I did some notification toggles on and off and now it works again, so there does seem to be some issues there.
    I forgot to mention my phone is jailbroke, so i went and downloaded the BTNotificationEnabler... I guess there is no configuration but every since I installed it everything works like a dream.
    edited March 2013
    Eric and the Pebble team,

Just a suggestion on software, when I hook up the power cable, have the watch turn on the backlight so that I know the connection is solid to the watch. Its a small change but I think every device I have does this already.

Thanks!
    Post edited by Tony01 on
    whacko said:
    Tony said:
    Eric and the Pebble team,

Just a suggestion on software, when I hook up the power cable, have the watch turn on the backlight so that I know the connection is solid to the watch. Its a small change but I think every device I have does this already.

Thanks!
    Good suggestion. It could also give a "charging" notification on the screen for a couple of seconds.
    Exactly what I am thinking.
    oh also Eric you guys should have thrown in a free sticker in the box like apple does, people fucking love stickers (plus free ads for pebble)