New to pebble questions about charging and update 1.9

Hello,

I recvied my watch today, (bought off amazon for 100 bucks more than org price) did not want to wait months and everything i read about the watch was great until last night (day before watch gets here) i read that they have been bricking if you turn them off. Well what i want to know is should i update to the  1.9 or just stay in what its currently on? also what brings me to this point is how do i know if my pebble is charging or not??? i took it out the box it had charge on it, i connected the charger but i cant tell if its doing anthing or not. any help???

Comments

• SylarSylar Posts: 253Member
    edited March 2013
    This will help on your battery question. http://help.getpebble.com/customer/portal/articles/996436-pebble-battery-life Regarding 1.9 and bricking. I have upgraded and turned off my watch a ton of times with no issues at all. As you stated some people's pebble won't turn on after the update. If it were me I wouldn't turn it off until more information is released regarding the issue. Generally when someone has an issue with anything they hit up the forums and inquire or complain. You don't generally hear from the people that have no issues. So lets estimate 50 people are having issues after the 1.9 update. There could be hundreds or thousands not having any issues at all.
    Post edited by Sylar on
    iOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken on an iPhone 5, Android 4.1.1 on a Droid DNA, One Black Pebble and One Red Pebble.
  • Dante01Dante01 Posts: 26Member
    True and thankyou. My pebble is on FW 1.5.4, do you think its safe to turn off?? Also I cant install watch faces (says bundle benign sent and nothing happens) is this due to the FW?
    edited March 2013
    whacko said:
    Dante said:
    True and thankyou. My pebble is on FW 1.5.4, do you think its safe to turn off?? Also I cant install watch faces (says bundle benign sent and nothing happens) is this due to the FW?

Your watch probably isn't on firmware 1.5.4 and the Pebble updates its firmware the first time you connect your watch to your phone. 1.5.4 is the version of the recovery that is installed on all Pebbles.

If you actually are on firmware 1.5.4 you need to do a firmware update (to at least 1.81) before you will be able to install watch faces.

You tell me lol. Also i can not get phone call notifications, is this also due to the FW? And how would i updated to 1.81, and a little misleading info on your part, as when i connected my pebble to my nexus it asked if i wanted to update or be reminded. https://www.dropbox.com/s/q03u8f6f1syad2w/IMG_20130325_185922.jpg
    Post edited by Dante01 on
  • skyjumperskyjumper Posts: 106Member
    I would upgrade to 1.9, and just not turn it off. That's worked for me!

skyjumper said:
    I would upgrade to 1.9, and just not turn it off. That's worked for me!

If there is a way to upgrade to 1.81 thats what ill do, I dont even wanna risk it as i paid 250 for this pebble.
  • skyjumperskyjumper Posts: 106Member
    @Dante I have seen reports here of 1.8.1 firmware watches getting bricked. I don't think the issue is limited to 1.9.0. But in truth, no one but possibly the Pebble team knows for sure what is causing the bricking. My only comment is to use a strong charger, charge it fully and keep it charged and turned on.

• CretsterCretster Posts: 89Member
    Be interesting to see if anyone tries reverting back to this as a potential solution to battery problems after going to 1.9 and finding the bad battery life issue.
    edited March 2013
    whacko said:
    Here is a link to the
    OFFICIAL 1.81 Firmware.
    This is the first official firmware update that my Pebble got when I first got it.

[MOD Edit: removed link to old firmware because it contains a bug. Pebble recommends using the latest firmware available through the Pebble smartphone app]

In order to install this via your phone, connect your Pebble to your phone via bluetooth, open this forum page in your browser (Safari on iPhone) and click the link above. It should begin downloading and update your Pebble automatically.

You install this firmware at your own risk; I take no responsibility for any problems you may suffer during or after this firmware update. My Pebble worked fine while using this firmware but your mileage may vary.
    I got my pebble out the box and it had life so i did not charge it. I have now been charging it for about an hour via computer, now i just switched to wall chager. Once i see the icon letting me know i have full bat i will install the FW
    Post edited by CaffeineJunkie on
  • MiataTrySlide92MiataTrySlide92 Posts: 126Member
    This is depressing that we have newcomers already scared poopless of bricking their watches.

To the OP, you're fine to install the FW at anytime. The majority of pebble is idiot proof. You don't need to worry about breaking it. Feel free to shut it down and generally play with it. Your chances of having an issue are relatively low.

If you run into a problem there are two things you can do to reset it: 1) hold the center button down until the watch resets. This is good for frozen screens etc and will fix most of your issues. And 2) hold down the center, up and back buttons until the watch enters recovery mode; this will take a good 30 secs.

Once you've become more accustomed to the watch and the forum, the pebbledev.org wiki page, etc you can make your own decisions about what firmware to run, whether you want to turn it off or not.

Another thing to consider is a screen protector and/or body skin to protect the watch from scratches.

Regarding the charging you should be seeing a battery icon in the upper right hand corner when the charger is connected. But not while displaying a watchface. Also if i recall correctly, 1.5.2 may not display it. So no worries there if it's not showing up.

Again your best bet is to update to 1.9.0 using the android app, and just go from there. Let us know how you get on.
    edited March 2013
    This is depressing that we have newcomers already scared poopless of bricking their watches. To the OP, you're fine to install the FW at anytime. The majority of pebble is idiot proof. You don't need to worry about breaking it. Feel free to shut it down and generally play with it. Your chances of having an issue are relatively low. If you run into a problem there are two things you can do to reset it: 1) hold the center button down until the watch resets. This is good for frozen screens etc and will fix most of your issues. And 2) hold down the center, up and back buttons until the watch enters recovery mode; this will take a good 30 secs. Once you've become more accustomed to the watch and the forum, the pebbledev.org wiki page, etc you can make your own decisions about what firmware to run, whether you want to turn it off or not. Another thing to consider is a screen protector and/or body skin to protect the watch from scratches. Regarding the charging you should be seeing a battery icon in the upper right hand corner when the charger is connected. But not while displaying a watchface. Also if i recall correctly, 1.5.2 may not display it. So no worries there if it's not showing up. Again your best bet is to update to 1.9.0 using the android app, and just go from there. Let us know how you get on.
    Thanks, I bought a screen protector wrap from Gadgetwraps on this forum. also just updated my pebble to 1.81 and wow it scrolls alot faster, the bat icon was there, and i can download watch faces and get call notifications. Whats the change log on 1.9 from 1.8?? and depending what it is i may just wait until pebble announces the issues just in case 
    Post edited by Dante01 on
  • MiataTrySlide92MiataTrySlide92 Posts: 126Member
    Also you can load any firmware you want at any time. So if you try out 1.9.0 and decide you don't like it for any reason you're not stuck with it.