Pebble Customer Service Failings

MartinWinterMartinWinter Posts: 8Member
edited August 2013 in Support
After repeated attempts to solicit any response from Pebble regarding logistics concerns; have I got what I paid for; and poor build quality issues, I have been left to conclude that customer service has been overlooked in its entirety. After hours, trawling through the 'stereo typical' answers to Pebble orientated questions, there is no indication of where, how, or, if ever, I get help or answers.   I would propose an investment in providing some aftersales care, such as a phone contact or to set expectations to resolutions and responses before the whole experience of Kickstarter investment leaves a poor taste with struggling backers. Being busy does not exclude your responsibilities!! Perhaps, in hope, this may solicit someone at Pebble getting serious. Regards Martin Winter  
Post edited by Joseph on

Comments

• drhowellsdrhowells Posts: 164Member
    Your first mistake may be the 'repeated attempts'. Everytime you send an e-mail to the support team, you reset your place in the queue. You need to just wait for a response i'm afraid. Can you tell us your specific problems? People here may be able to help.
  • MartinWinterMartinWinter Posts: 8Member

Specifically.......<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Send an email but no acknowledgement that it is received.

2. No indication of when to expect a response - so how long should one wait? hour, day, week, month (I fall into the latter of these)

3. No information of what to expect if a longer watch strap was ordered and paid for - it comes with one fitted to the watch - don’t know if its the short one or the long one - but do know it barely fits and I cannot wear it without stretching the band - not something I am going to do.

4. Build quality - whilst I am no expert, there seems to be some evidence of 'dried deposit' which I assume is adhesive along the edge of the watch !

and

5. Don't get me started about the appalling logistics experience where shipping from Singapore takes almost a month and there is NO way to track or follow - or that duty is charged on the payment processing fees and an additional handling charge !!

Regards

Martin

• MorbydMorbyd Posts: 334Member
    edited April 2013
    Well, on no. 5 sounds like your problem is with the shipping company and your local customs people. You could blame pebble for their choice of shipping agent, if you must, but it's not necessarily a failing.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Pebble made it pretty clear that the long watch bands were being shipped separately.

Kickstarter update #34 covered long watch straps

Can't speak to 4 as my watch is perfect.

One and two - well, as mentioned above, if you kept emailing then you've reset your place in the cue. It's been mentioned in these forums numerous times. 
    Post edited by Morbyd on

Thank you Morbyd.....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Update #34 to which you refer....

"Two thousand long watch straps will be shipped next week by letter mail. Over 85% of the Kickstarter backers who ordered long straps are in this first batch."

was posted on March 17th...... following week approx 24th March - its now 25th April !!

Are mine in this batch?  If yes have they been lost in a month or so of shipping? Were they dispatched? If not in this batch then when? etc etc..... 

In respect of  'continual mailing', I think you may have misread my comment...

I mailed just about a month ago - no more - no less.  I have had no reply. I have no indication of when a reply can be expected! I don’t even know if they have my mail!

Good customer service = communicate the expectation and deliver to or exceed that expectation.  Courtesy alone would command that someone says 'we are running xx days/weeks/months behind in answering emails'.  Maybe you know of a source that can determine this - Regrettably I don't.

So yes! I have a Pebble, which may, or may not be, of inferior quality, (and this may well be an isolated instance), but at this moment it is little more than an ornament and is rapidly reducing my confidence that this was such a good investment with no further clue how I remedy the issues.

Regards

Martin

• SwantailSwantail Posts: 18Member
    best comment Ive seen yet, across the whole board! 
    Kingsix said:
    I think a big part of it is that pebble has realized that communication or no you still are going to have people complaining.  What have we seen in the past?
    1. People complain that they have no updates
    2. Pebble gives update
    3. People complain about the information they have received in the update.

I have a feeling that pebble is holding off updates on production until they have some really good news. either way they don't win.  
    Now don't get me wrong. I really want my grey pebble and I really want to know what the heck is going on in China these days but I do understand that them telling me they haven't started the greys yet won't get me the watch faster. 

As for customer service all I can speak to is what I have heard since I don't have my 5 pebbles yet.  To me yes, the customer service may be a bit poor in terms of communication and response times but this isn't a big company so I am forgiving.  I like to put myself in their shoes, they probably have like 5-10 people max doing customer service.  lets say 10 people to handle the customer service for like 100,000 people, plus super impatient people flooding their customer service lines with emails for "when will my preorder ship" or "how come i don't have my orange pebble yet".  It would be a terrible thing to deal with. 

All I want from them is to blast out the production as fast as they can while keeping up production quality. Which is what I am sure they are doing.  
    The black pebble i ordered, unfortunately not for me is in my city now, so at least I will get to see a pebble soon.  Hopefully no problems with it.

• KingsixKingsix Posts: 30Member
    Maybe so Swantail.

I would like to say that no matter how forgiving I am of these issues, I really am getting concerned about the lack of updates we have seen regarding production. The one thing that used to calm me was that I could look at ispebbleshipping.com and see that at least they were making good progress and that the rate of production had picked up.  But now there has been a 3 week period with no update on production numbers, and I have to assume, hopefully incorrectly, a 35 day (24 working day) halt in production of pebbles. at 2000 pebbles per day thats 48,000 pebbles of lost production. Hopefully Pebbles have been churning off the line since April 8th, which would be 13 days of production, 26,000 pebbles.  Which hopefully means that they have started the whites and greys.  

Problem is, that if this was true, I am not sure why they have stopped updating the numbers.

Bottom line is that the lack of numbers is worrying. I won't go as far as saying that we are entitled to know whats up, but I really wish they would give us some news.
    Swantail said:
    best comment Ive seen yet, across the whole board! 
    Kingsix said:
    I think a big part of it is that pebble has realized that communication or no you still are going to have people complaining.  What have we seen in the past?
    1. People complain that they have no updates
    2. Pebble gives update
    3. People complain about the information they have received in the update.

I have a feeling that pebble is holding off updates on production until they have some really good news. either way they don't win.  
    Now don't get me wrong. I really want my grey pebble and I really want to know what the heck is going on in China these days but I do understand that them telling me they haven't started the greys yet won't get me the watch faster. 

As for customer service all I can speak to is what I have heard since I don't have my 5 pebbles yet.  To me yes, the customer service may be a bit poor in terms of communication and response times but this isn't a big company so I am forgiving.  I like to put myself in their shoes, they probably have like 5-10 people max doing customer service.  lets say 10 people to handle the customer service for like 100,000 people, plus super impatient people flooding their customer service lines with emails for "when will my preorder ship" or "how come i don't have my orange pebble yet".  It would be a terrible thing to deal with. 

All I want from them is to blast out the production as fast as they can while keeping up production quality. Which is what I am sure they are doing.  
    The black pebble i ordered, unfortunately not for me is in my city now, so at least I will get to see a pebble soon.  Hopefully no problems with it.

• JosephJoseph Posts: 557Administrator
    Martin, 

I've found your submissions to our Support system and have responded to the latest one, as the original one is now resolved as you have your Pebble in-hand. Apologies for the delay in getting to your questions.

Joseph Kristoffer | Community Manager | getpebble.com | @Pebble
    •••
    Pebble Help and FAQs » | Suggestions and Ideas » | Contact Pebble »

Although my Pebble has arrived, the other bit of essential equipment is a long strap which still remains undelivered; For me one is no good without the other!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What should we expect of customer service? 

What is the 'official' complaint process?

What is the 'real' turnaround time for queries, that are rapidly becoming complaint issues.

Product reputation, no matter how innovative or unique, has to be supported by sturdy service and logistic processes and as a US organisation where the customer is supposed to be 'king' - Kickstarter and Pebble should start to take notice and be more responsible towards satisfying the customer and investors.

Please would someone at 'Pebble' or Kickstarter take ownership of these issues and get it fixed quickly.

Martin 

• Dan07Dan07 Posts: 64Member

Guys, guys - Pebble wanted $100K and got $10 millions - so their sort of "mom & pop" outfit has been SWAMPED by enormous demand, and their tiny staff can barely cope with the conflicting demands of customers while trying to make Pebbles in hugely bigger quantities then they ever envisaged.   Its not Foxconn making Pebbles, its something a tiny bit smaller.

So I imagine they have to think - where do we go from here ? - ramp up production at enormous cost and financial risk, or try to work with their existing set-up.  Tricky. Because if something substantially better turns up, say from Apple or Samsung, existing customers will desert them in droves.
  • pikingpiking Posts: 151Member
    I do agree Pebble should improve their customer service, but I don't think they are burying their head in the sand and hoping issues go away.
    Kickstarter has nothin to do with this. They just provide a means to raise funds to individuals/companies who would normally have a harder/impossible time raising cash through normal channels. You are by no means an investor. You donated money in the hopes of receiving a gift for your generosity. Kickstarter has repeatedly stated they are not a store. The customer service is all pebble and I completely agree with you on that.

Sure this may be so, but Kickstarter are acting as the initial store front (that's how many became aware of the crowd funding - me included) and taking a cut (5%?)of the funds, Amazon as the cashier - taking a further cut (%?) and Pebble as the supplier.  One could draw a similarity to Ebay or similar perhaps.

However, with volume comes economy of scale, so bigger numbers should provide leverage to produce lower costs unit sold overall.

In turn, this should have highlighted the need to accommodate administrative and logistical issues, proportionate to volume - but this appears to be missing - or severely underestimated leaving too few to deal with so many.

Sadly, the longer these 'customer service' issues persist, the more vocal customers are becoming and with no view of how they are getting fixed, who can blame them?

As you say, they have $10 million or so - I am sure a few more personnel could be offset by the higher margins they must be delivering - many have been waiting around 12 months and don't know how many more they may be waiting.

• Stephanie05Stephanie05 Posts: 1Member
    Customer service stinks.  Our Pebble has gone dead after having it for less than two weeks.  We waited 8 months for this item to ship.  Every time I click on Contact Us, I am sent to FAQ's.  Don't buy one!  No help unless your problem is answered by one of their questions.
  • Jeff22Jeff22 Posts: 2Member
    I have to agree in regard to a lack of response from customer service.  I've emailed them twice (3 times, including today) in regards to a missing shipment for over a week and haven't received a single response.  
  • drhowellsdrhowells Posts: 164Member
    Jeff22 said:
    I have to agree in regard to a lack of response from customer service.  I've emailed them twice (3 times, including today) in regards to a missing shipment for over a week and haven't received a single response.  
    You need to send 1 e-mail and don't chase. When you send a second e-mail, your place in the queue is reset.

I asked a question over a week ago, still no rely!!

Dear Order @ Pebble

I wish to order more than 1 cable – although the order page asks how many, as does the payment page, there does not appear to be an option for changing the quantity

Please advise.

@Whacko, I have not sent any other email so resetting the clock is not an excuse.

Where is the customer service?????

edited September 2013
    Your response is welcome although frustrating......
    1. I have purchased 2 pebble watches, one was gifted and their charger cable has failed, so in anticipation and need, want to purchase 2 - one to replace the broken one and one to replace mine in anticipation that life span is limited. No - We cannot share the same cable as the watches are in different countries.
    2. The order page says....   "How many would you like to buy" implies you can purchase more than 1
    3. I can find no reference to a restriction that a customer can only buy 1
    4. No; I did not get an automated reply - Never have had any automated replies from Pebble - EVER!!
    5. Questions relating to orders and shipping are directed to the email address attached to....Order and shipping questions: click here  -   in the contacts page - My question was about an order so I don't think its unreasonable to consider this may be where I should contact
    Sadly, I could have avoided a week delay and raised 2 separate orders perhaps, or at least have had a courtesy response from Pebble to tell me what you have!! Even avoided adding my question to the lengthy email queue had it been mentioned up-front.
    And whilst I also appreciate the Ebay link, I will guess they are not genuine so would steer clear in case I invalidate my warranty using a non OEM product to charge.
    In respect of answering to people who have actual problems, I still await patiently for some feedback about the product finish quality - Although I suspect it will never be forthcoming. (Previous comments refer)
    Regards
    Post edited by whacko on
  • Jeff22Jeff22 Posts: 2Member

Good to know

@whacko

Thanks for the response, however, the link doesn't work.  Page states there's a "Permission Problem".  I received a message back from "Camille" and replied, however, not response afterwards.  Followed up and replied back to her email again on 9/9/13, no response.

• CedricMARTINCedricMARTIN Posts: 5Member
    edited January 9
    Looks like this keeps happening.
    I've had issue ordering a pebble steel yesterday (had to move from Firebox to Chrome and ending up ordering on Safari).

I wanted to pre order a Pebble steel. Then ended up ordering a normal pebble on top of the peeble steel (must have been in the card for weeks when I've placed another order weeks ago).

I've told myself, "It won't ship since the pebble steel is not available". So I have placed another order with only the steel and send a message to the support to ask for the cancellation of my first order.

The problem is that they just shipped some order today! The system is not very good so it doesn't even say what item and what order number...but it can only be the pebble "plastic". 

If they were not late on support and email this woudn't happen. 
    Now I have sent them another email telling them that I won't approve payment, reject the DHL delivery...but still, lots of time and effort lost for nothing.

almograve
    Post edited by CedricMARTIN on
  • CedricMARTINCedricMARTIN Posts: 5Member
    As of today. Still no news from support. And the shipment is already in Germany from Hong Kong, on his way to France...
  • JamesJacksonJamesJackson Posts: 2Member

My thoughts and Complaints:

I ordered the pebble steel brushed aluminum on January 27 as to all the videos and reviews I had seen at that point said they will begin shipping on the 28th of January.  

How do I cancel my order? My order status went from "mid to late February" (very vague) to "orders are shipped 6-8 weeks after you placed your order".(just as vague, now that mid to late February is past) They just keep pushing the time frame back. 

My thoughts as a customer would be to assume that a specific date would be set for shipping once my order was received. Lets just say I was pebble and was making 100 steels a day, and I had 999 orders for that particular model, me being number 1000. That would roughly be 10 business days until my order was ready, another day or two for processing and what not, so 3 weeks would be a good assumption in this hypothetical scenario. So I would tell the customer when to expect it, with the mindset that it could be earlier. I wouldn't want to undercut myself and then the item ship late, but early, everyone is happy.    

The only email (other than auto replys) I have received was incorrect (to some degree)

"FEB 18, 2014 | 09:51AM PST 

Michaele replied:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your order. Our sincerest apologies for the delay in response, and any frustration we have caused you. As you know we have begun shipping Pebble Steel orders. We are shipping orders as quickly as we can in the order received. Please note however, that the Matte Black Pebble Steels are currently back ordered further than the Brushed Stainless. "

I didn't order a Matte Black Pebble Steel! Are you serious? Was my email/order even looked at? And why are you giving me excuses about one being back ordered?

This is all garbage and the customer service is horrible!

I wish I could tell my customers that I will ship them what they ordered (or didn't order in this case) when ever I get around to it, and then copy and paste an apology message to all of them first thing in the morning when I stroll in around 9:51a.m. 

Please just cancel my order so I can go elsewhere. 

• JamesJacksonJamesJackson Posts: 2Member
    Dan07 said:

Guys, guys - Pebble wanted $100K and got $10 millions - so their sort of "mom & pop" outfit has been SWAMPED by enormous demand, and their tiny staff can barely cope with the conflicting demands of customers while trying to make Pebbles in hugely bigger quantities then they ever envisaged.   Its not Foxconn making Pebbles, its something a tiny bit smaller.

So I imagine they have to think - where do we go from here ? - ramp up production at enormous cost and financial risk, or try to work with their existing set-up.  Tricky. Because if something substantially better turns up, say from Apple or Samsung, existing customers will desert them in droves.
    They are already deserting them in droves due to the lack of support! This should have all been in the business strategy from the beginning! Without customers your business takes a nose dive, and that should be priority from the get go. Not to mention with over 10x the support they were expecting, you would think they would at least put some of their eggs in the support basket!  
  • Mark LienhartMark Lienhart Posts: 5Member
    Seriously... Their customer support is awful. Any company that has products in the hands of 400k+ customers (taken right from their Facebook page) should be able to answer an email in 24 hours or less...