My Pebble Faces take down requests

Hi all I've received copyright infringement requests from Tokyo watches and have had to remove 6 watch faces. Illusion, Lines watch, Maze,clock, Rorscahch, Rorschach black and rorations
·

Comments

• ChuckyChucky Posts: 224Member Pebbler
    Really disappointed in Tokyo Watches for sending out copyright infringement notices. It is not like the watch face coders are selling the items, nor do they really look like the ones on Tokyo flash!.

Note to self: Never buy Tokyo Watches!

·
  • CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 2,255Moderator mod
    Seeing as how TokyoFlash are evidently US based, and you're UK based then under the Berne convention I guess you have no choice.

Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 Plus
    ·
  • Slayer155101Slayer155101 Posts: 53Member
    Sadly no, I wonder what Pebble's stance is for the faces that are shared / discussed on here? Will they be removed eventually?
    ·
    edited April 2013
    I wonder what Pebble's stance is for the faces that are shared / discussed on here? Will they be removed eventually?
    Hmmm, I have been wondering about this as well. As a matter of fact talking to CJ about one of the threads in question.

However upon thinking about it, would they really need to do anything?

I ask as if you think about it, none of the watch faces are actually uploaded to getpebble.com, only linked here. So is a link to a third party site (and discussion about the item) a violation of copyright?

I guess what I am suggesting is I can see why the site that hosts them would get a takedown request, but surely a link to that site/discussion wouldn't fit into that same category would it?
    Post edited by Chucky on

·
    I don't know, surely if the site has links to copyrighted material they can request it be removed, like how google has to remove links to copyrighted material?
    ·
    @Chucky that defence never saved bittorrent sites, besides the takedown notices will be passed on to the hosting company.

Does anyone know if theres a hosting rack on the ISS?  Thats definately extraterritorial.
    ·
    Fonts are exempt.
    TTF vector based fonts are covered by copyright law, but bitmap representations are not.

The pebble compilation process turns them in to fixed bitmaps, so the TTFs are never distributed in the PBW.
    ·
    edited April 2013

I don't know, surely if the site has links to copyrighted material they can request it be removed, like how google has to remove links to copyrighted material?
    I could only talk of my nil to limited experience in answer to that question, however it doesn't relate to pebble at all nor am I sure it has much of a comparison.

I am sure you know of Torrents, but alot of people have never heard of NZB's (Usenet) ... Long story short, movie companies have finally started to worry about Usenet and as such they issue Take Down Requests to the servers that host the files. However all of the links on all of the thousands of sites that link to those NZB's are still there, and nor do the individual sites get a Take Down Notice for the links (that I am aware of), only the place that hosts the actual files gets those requests.

Now it could be argued that it is easier to send 1000 take down notices (ie to the server farms) instead of sending 100,000 take down notices (ie the sites that host the links) for each link, as removing the files would be much easier and achieves the job, but all of the links to those files are always available (well for up to 3 years as far as I am aware).
    Post edited by Chucky on

·

The 'bitmap representation' thing is actually explicit in US law.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces

A rasterized representation (e.g. bitmap) of the characters in a scalable font is not protected by copyright in the United States. According to section 503.02(a) of Compendium II: Copyright Office Practices, typography and calligraphy are not copyrightable in themselves in the U.S.

·
  • jonpryjonpry Posts: 6Member
    Perhaps you could forward the request to the creators. I may want to persue contesting this with tokyo flash.
    ·
  • eyeiseyeis Posts: 487Member Regular
    Is illusion in the forums still? Could someone post a link?
    iPhone 5s with iOS 8
    ·
    Are any of these watchfaces still in the forum? I can't find any! Are they gone forever?
    iPhone 5s with iOS 8
    ·
  • DesmondBrandDesmondBrand Posts: 6Member
    eyeis said:
    The thread looks like it's been deleted, but you can still find it on GitHub: https://github.com/dmnd/illusion

I wonder if this comment will be removed too?
    ·
  • dtdwdtdw Posts: 13Member
    edited April 2013
    It's about time tokyoflash issued a takedown. Im sure its not just me that have already asked the question to pebble team whether the watchface will infringe copyright, but they kept quiet about it. (the post is somewhere in this forum).

So now it finally started, I'm eager to hear what Eric has to say about this in announcement. I do hope he will join the fight for our rights, since one of the official face has already been used by many that contains a kisai design.

Post edited by dtdw on
    ·
    eyeis said:
    The thread looks like it's been deleted, but you can still find it on GitHub: https://github.com/dmnd/illusion

Download not working! Illusion gone forever :( RIP awesome watch face
    iPhone 5s with iOS 8
    ·
  • 8a22a8a22a Posts: 449Member Regular
    edited April 2013
    Although I appreciate the effort that was put into the watch faces in question they were blatant rip-offs. Lets not put any blame on Tokyo Watches.

They could have endorsed them instead, unless they plan to issue their own Pebble watchfaces. ;)

Pebble should be able to mimic every other watch in the world. :)
    Post edited by 8a22a on
    Pebble Steel (Brushed Stainless Steel) PebbleOS v2.2  -  Pebble iOS App v2.2   -  iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.1
    ·
  • jonpryjonpry Posts: 6Member
     It isn't clear to me to what extent tokyo flash stuff is even protectable. For example the lines watch seems a lot like a font to me. And said font was typeset by the author, not extracted from some tokyo flash copyrighted file or anything. So in essence they are trying to claim owenership of the design concepts of the typography which is not actually doable in the US afaik. The same applies to illusion. Unless they are trying claim that the idea of putting 4 digits in the 4 quadrants of the display was so creative and original that it is copyrightable.

So blatant ripoffs, maybe, actually infringing, maybe not.

IANAL
    ·
  • RichPRichP Posts: 56Member
    You'd think they might be a bit lenient over personal use if no-one is making a profit out of it.

Hypothetically, if a person were to have a copy of the removed watchfaces already, and were to hypothetically send them to anyone who hypothetically asked rather than them being hosted on a website I wonder what the position would be...
    ·
  • DesmondBrandDesmondBrand Posts: 6Member
    eyeis said:
    eyeis said:

Download not working! Illusion gone forever :( RIP awesome watch face
    Are you sure? It seems to work for me.
    ·
  • ElzorElzor Posts: 71Member
    Just read all the post here, to see if I was doing anything wrong by uploading a new version of the "MazeClock" who was partly inspired by the Tokyo Flash Ilusion watch...

What do you think they will think of this ? 

I havent post the downloadable code for it... I'll wait to ear your opinion about it...
    Belgium - 23 - iPhone 4S (iOS 7) 5 Pebble Backed - MyPebbleFaces - Set of icons for your apps
    ·
    edited April 2013
    @whacko

I wasn't realy showing the animation, but the "4 frames" effect" that now divide the screen.  Also, I'm not using the same font as their....

That's sad... if you can not even get inspired from things you see without being pulled back...

I wonder.... nevermind ;)
    Post edited by Elzor on
    Belgium - 23 - iPhone 4S (iOS 7) 5 Pebble Backed - MyPebbleFaces - Set of icons for your apps
    ·
    whacko said:

It probably is. 
    However TF may simply not have noticed it therefore they haven't requested its take down (yet). I can think of a few other Pebble watch face designs that are probably based on TF watch face designs. What TF doesn't notice, they won't complain about I guess. 

Of course, it probably isn't great to make comments where we link one Pebble face to a TF watch to provide TF with an easy way to figure out which designs they should submit take down requests for... ;)
    Yeah, I guess it is like this... ;) (see my previous message)
    ·
    Tokyo Flash is stupid. Over priced, one watch face pieces of junk. They should stop trying to take down copied designs because it is a waste of time. People have posted links to their drop boxes that contain TF watchfaces all over reddit. The faces will always be saved and someone else will post them if it is requested. Therefore it is impossible to manage their supposedly copyrighted faces.
    iPhone 5s with iOS 8
    ·
    I am a bit concerned but until I get a takedown request i'll leave them on. Things like Mickey Mouse I would expect a cease and desist sooner or later. My LCARS watch face is based on the star trek user interface but isnt as obvious as using say a batman logo
    ·
  • dezign999dezign999 Posts: 453Member Regular
    edited May 2013
    Ultimately, I've built my watch faces for me. I don't have any ill feelings if they're taken down for obvious reasons. I simply thought others might like them, and the download numbers tend to agree.

I did quite a bit of online sleuthing when collecting the resources for the watches, and all of them came from fan sites that have no affiliation with the parent companies. One search on any of the keywords related to my watches will bring up a number of images that don't originate from the copyright holder.

Why I finally decided to post them, however, is because they are not duplicates of watches the House-of-Mouse already sells. By this, I mean, I am not taking an existing product and creating a means for others to get it for free and offer the same functionality and purpose of the product you would otherwise have to buy.

That said, I will not publish any of the other watch faces I have made which do this, i.e. Mickey Hands Watch etc.

Also @Slayer1551 I have been getting a nasty sql error when trying to add a version number to the Steam B. Willie - Pulse watch face. I can add the pbw, image, and upload fine. However If I try to add a version number I get an error page. Is there a limit on pbw names? This one is, steamBwillie_pulse.pbw.

Thanks!
    Post edited by dezign999 on
    Steam B. Willie watch face
    Pebble Punch-Out!!! watch face
    ·
    @dezign999 could you email me the PBW and what version number you were naming it to admin @ mypebblefaces so I can try replicate it on my end please :)
    ·
  • SheepWillPrevailSheepWillPrevail Posts: 151Member
    @Slayer1551 thanks for adding the 'hide generated' filter. Much better now!

I did notice that if you select 'hide generated' and click on an author's name all their concept watch faces disappear too from the listing.
    Galaxy S2 with SuperNexus 4.0 (Android 4.4.2) & a black Pebble - my GitHub - "the files are inside the computer?"
    ·
    edited May 2013
    @SheepWillPrevail If you click an authors name on the downloadable faces it will only show faces by the author you can download, however if you click an authors name while browsing the concepts page they should show only their concepts http://www.mypebblefaces.com/concepts
    Post edited by Slayer155101 on
    ·
  • SheepWillPrevailSheepWillPrevail Posts: 151Member
    Galaxy S2 with SuperNexus 4.0 (Android 4.4.2) & a black Pebble - my GitHub - "the files are inside the computer?"
    ·