NateMurrayNateMurray Posts: 6Member Pebbler
edited September 2013 in Pebble Watchapp Directory

Fireflies

by Nate Murray

ScreenShot

Click to see animation

ScreenShot

Download v1.0 

Join me on a magical forest adventure where monochrome fireflies dance on your wrist. Normally, the fireflies swarm and blink and dance, but every minute or so, they join together and do their best to show you the time. They hold formation for only a moment, but the effort is to great for their little wings. In their excitement, they all glow together in unison and then quickly return to their natural state.

I hope you enjoy this watchface as much as I enjoyed making it. If you like it, could you do me a favor and hit the "Like" button below?

Post edited by whacko on
·

Comments

• LukaszZalewskiLukaszZalewski Posts: 208Member Regular
    Whoa, now I need extended battery for my pebble.
    My github | Help me build time machine! Send precious bitcoins here: 1DAvDGQCXJtL2SHPz47QUjaSXBXLSXwThJ
    My watchfaces: Bell | Boss | Brown | Classic | DotzFancy | JellyTime | Maurice | Modern | Plain | Roman | Rounds | SimonSpeed | Swiss
    ·
  • JulianStarkeJulianStarke Posts: 98Member Regular
    Really, really, really cool!
    ·
  • pruittspruitts Posts: 78Member

That is VERY unique! Congratulations on the idea!  How often do they converge to show the time?

Any consideration of also having them converge upon a particular button press, for anyone who needed instant time?

·
  • 8a22a8a22a Posts: 449Member Regular
    Wow, that's awesome.
    Pebble Steel (Brushed Stainless Steel) PebbleOS v2.2  -  Pebble iOS App v2.2   -  iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.1
    ·
  • PebbleDavePebbleDave Posts: 57Member
    Very encouraged by the imagination and quality of code being produced with so little of the SDK exposed!

Nexus 4 - (Android 4.2.2) - Apps : Light Flow, Pebble Notifier (for WhatsApp only)
    ·
  • NateMurrayNateMurray Posts: 6Member Pebbler
    @InternetUser007 - You're totally right. My original vision was that it would show the time on shake / button press, but watchfaces don't have access to button presses.
    ·
  • GDGD Posts: 72Member
    Don't forget to post this on mypebblefaces.com
    ·
  • NateMurrayNateMurray Posts: 6Member Pebbler
    @Joshua nice! I approve
    ·
  • RandyConnelieRandyConnelie Posts: 21Member Pebbler
    I am partway through a similar project!  Did you ever trip across any "section `.bss' will not fit in region `APP'" errors?
    (It seems to be an issue when I create too many Layer and PropertyAnimation variables.)
    ·
  • sisko7sisko7 Posts: 15Member
    great idea, very cool looking watchface
    ·
  • Dale PerkelDale Perkel Posts: 98Member Regular
    edited April 2013
    @Nate, your code is beautiful. This is an amazing demostration of what Pebble is capable of and your awesome coding talent. Well done!
    Post edited by Dale Perkel on
    ·
  • varunmysorevarunmysore Posts: 24Member
    how to download??
    ·
  • IceTeaIceTea Posts: 7Member
    Love this watchface. Would be perfect if the time was visible longer
    ·
  • GaryParkerGaryParker Posts: 22Member Pebbler
    Really pretty and a lovely bit of code, but +1 the request to have the time displayed on-demand with a wrist-flick. I guess that might be possible once access to the accelerometers becomes available in the SDK.
    ·
  • RazPebblesRazPebbles Posts: 21Member
    This is awesome!
    Kickstarter orange pebble, jailbroken iPhone 5 iOS 6.1, UK
    ·
  • LeestonSimmonsLeestonSimmons Posts: 1Member
    Amazing!! Thank you!
    ·
  • PatrickMcWilliamsPatrickMcWilliams Posts: 79Member

I made an incredibly small fork of this watchface called Strong Fireflies. It displays the time for 48 seconds instead of 12, and reduces the length of time that the fireflies remain excited (and large) so that the animation still looks cool despite the shorter duration.

I changed the name so that you can have both faces installed simultaneously if you want to compare.

You can download a copy here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/sh/x4bjplrn3ya5ez9/U2dQiiwt6a/strong-fireflies.pbw

The link is broken, I'd love to try this one out as well
    ·
  • AbrahamWestfallAbrahamWestfall Posts: 416Member Pebbler
    I haven't tried either because I'm not able to right now, but I took his source and compiled bot forks for any who want the faces.
    ·
  • DavidDavid Posts: 71Member
    Strong fireflies is beautiful. This code is amazing
    ·
  • JosephMearmanJosephMearman Posts: 2Member
    This is a lovely face but could you compile a version that coalesces a bit more regularly?
    ·

This is a lovely face but could you compile a version that coalesces a bit more regularly?

The second link is a version that stays showing the time for forty out of sixty seconds as opposed to the first which only show for twelve seconds.
    ·
  • AFormerForumMemberAFormerForumMember Posts: 353Member
    A truly amazing watch face! Now I'm on Android I have too much to choose from!

·
  • PeterHardyPeterHardy Posts: 539Member Regular
    If anybody is interested, my fork at https://github.com/phardy/pebble-fireflies runs as a regular application. It still only coalesces for a few seconds, but hitting any button will cause the time to be displayed again. 
    This watchface is phone-agnostic... 

I wrote these! - DualTZ | Gauges | Gravity

·
  • PatrickMcWilliamsPatrickMcWilliams Posts: 79Member
    If anybody is interested, my fork at https://github.com/phardy/pebble-fireflies runs as a regular application. It still only coalesces for a few seconds, but hitting any button will cause the time to be displayed again. 
    This watchface is phone-agnostic... 
    Can you compile it for us and provide a link to the .pbw?
    ·
    edited August 2013
  • frefre Posts: 3Member
    how about just the time, static. so no twitching of the fireflies.
    2seconds before minute change, they start twitching.
    on minute change, they do a 3 second dance or so, and then go back to their place in the time, and twitch. 
    after another 2 seconds, stop twitching and static again..
    won't that be much more benificial to the battery?
    ·