[Watch face] Decimal Time (10 Hour day) | Analog

vuzzboxvuzzbox Posts: 8Member
edited June 2013 in Pebble Watchapp Directory

Vive la révolution!

Displays and keeps Decimal Time:  10 Hours/day, 100 minutes/hour, 100 seconds/minute
Design and date functions based on the Modern watchface by Łukasz Zalewski (http://forums.getpebble.com/profile/11983/Łukasz Zalewski)

Download | Source 

More on Decimal Time here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

Post edited by whacko on

Comments

• orviwanorviwan Posts: 1,501Member, Moderator
    This is cool! Can you make a digital version too?

Forum Moderator  iPhone 5 (iOS 8)

Available on the Pebble appstore
    91 Dub 2.0
    Chunk Weather 2.0
    Aviator

• LukaszZalewskiLukaszZalewski Posts: 208Member
    This is interesting, I've never heard of this type of time measuring but it would be much much easier to manage time this way, I believe.

If you dont mind my critics, I would throw in some just to make it better:
    - Really like the font you have used for hours, however there are two things about it:
       + You didnt use proper hinting in the font to create background for pebble, you have to do that without anti-aliasing while rendering background on your pc (in photoshop "sharp" edges from dropdown menu in font section or in gimp just untick 'anti-aliasing' box in font menu) - it greatly improves readability and overall look of the font. It's because pebble doesnt display anything but black OR white. 
       + "0" on top looks a bit like nothing, if you know what I mean, I guess "10" would be better
    - Digital date doesn't fit this style (hours numerals style) in my opinion
    - Seconds hand with counter part would fit this watch much better (like the one in my brown watchface), it really works well when you deal with

Really dig this style and would love to see regular 12h version as well, but excuse me for now, I'll go find a reason why we dont use that metric system in our watches yet. It just seem so much more natural. 
    My github | Help me build time machine! Send precious bitcoins here: 1DAvDGQCXJtL2SHPz47QUjaSXBXLSXwThJ
    My watchfaces: Bell | Boss | Brown | Classic | DotzFancy | JellyTime | Maurice | Modern | Plain | Roman | Rounds | SimonSpeed | Swiss
  • vuzzboxvuzzbox Posts: 8Member
    Thanks, @orviwan

You mean something like this?

I am going to refactor this and post the watchface and source.
    This is interesting, I've never heard of this type of time measuring but it would be much much easier to manage time this way, I believe.

If you dont mind my critics, I would throw in some just to make it better:
    - Really like the font you have used for hours, however there are two things about it:
       + You didnt use proper hinting in the font to create background for pebble, you have to do that without anti-aliasing while rendering background on your pc (in photoshop "sharp" edges from dropdown menu in font section or in gimp just untick 'anti-aliasing' box in font menu) - it greatly improves readability and overall look of the font. It's because pebble doesnt display anything but black OR white. 
       + "0" on top looks a bit like nothing, if you know what I mean, I guess "10" would be better
    - Digital date doesn't fit this style (hours numerals style) in my opinion
    - Seconds hand with counter part would fit this watch much better (like the one in my brown watchface), it really works well when you deal with

Really dig this style and would love to see regular 12h version as well, but excuse me for now, I'll go find a reason why we dont use that metric system in our watches yet. It just seem so much more natural. 

Lukasz,

Thanks for your input - it's very welcome. I'm no designer, and I borrowed from your watchfaces. I'll give the font hinting a try - I'm using Gimp for my editor, but I'm sure I can do what you are suggesting. 

>> + "0" on top looks a bit like nothing, if you know what I mean, I guess "10" would be better

Indeed, I wasn't sure which way to go with this, but there is no "10 o'clock" in decimal time. In "dozenal" time there is a 12:00am and 12:00pm, so 12 at the top of the dial make sense.  But the last second of the day in decimal time is 9:99:99 and then the time is 0:00:01. 

It's a brave new world of time and the term "zero hour" really means something in decimal.

>> - Digital date doesn't fit this style (hours numerals style) in my opinion

Agreed. Suggestion? Same font as numerals? or another san-serif?

>> - Seconds hand with counter part would fit this watch much better (like the one in my brown watch face), it really works well when you deal with

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at that.

Ed

@vuzzbox

- "0", I do realize theres no 10 o'clock in decimal but thats what i said from 'look' point of view, it all comes down the same rule as with '60 second' mark on watchface, its the problem of continuus scale: you have beginning (0) and the end (60) of the scale. The reason why we use 60 instead of 0 on most watches is still unclear to me, but I can assure you it certainly look better, and allows easier readibility - keep in mind all of the numbers are very similiar in size right now, with one of them being double digit you can eaisly tell the top of the watch from the distance - that's the reason why most of the graphic signs watches use different mark for 12 hour. And theres also part where we're all used to see different mark in that place, so anything breaking out of that rule seems odd to us. Also wikipedia example watch has 10 in the place of 0.

After writing that i also got another idea - its simply double mark since 10 contains 0 in it, but thats just a thought :)

- date font - well, you have to play around with it, I usually place a text in gimp and wander thru the fonts to see where it looks 'right'. I guess theres no simple answer for that.
    My github | Help me build time machine! Send precious bitcoins here: 1DAvDGQCXJtL2SHPz47QUjaSXBXLSXwThJ
    My watchfaces: Bell | Boss | Brown | Classic | DotzFancy | JellyTime | Maurice | Modern | Plain | Roman | Rounds | SimonSpeed | Swiss
    Here are two alternatives to the zero design, with the zero design for reference:

image image image

orviwan said:
    This is cool! Can you make a digital version too?
    @orviwan

I don't think my other image is displaying. Here's the digital version, based on the Simplicity watch face. 

Oh well, the double zero is just awful. Either 10 or 0. I vote for 10.
    Aesthetically, I vote for 10, too. But philosophically, I think it should be zero. Maybe this is why it never got off the ground ;)

• WladstonWladston Posts: 1Member
    Dude, * I NEED THIS WATCH* haha :D

It's a shame I can't get it on Brazil, would gladly pay the USD 150 for having a decimal time watch.
  • ThjodbjornThjodbjorn Posts: 3Member
    This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, and may have actually sold me on a Pebble watch. Two things: 

1) I also vote for "10", but understand the "philosophical" argument. :)

2) do the watch "hands" move at the correct speed? I have seen decimal time apps on smart phones that read in decimal time, but still have movements based on your earthman clocks.

thanks!
  • ZadZad Posts: 24Member
    Erm, excuse me for asking but....what exactly is the real world use of this face? A bit pointless unless you're meeting your decimal friend for coffee and wanna spend the evening trying to figure out what " time" you agreed to meet? Besides, decimal doesn't fit in with the 360 degree rotation of the earth that determines day night and ultimately "practical" time. Real world time divisions, by definition, have to be divisible into 360 hence 12,24,60. Unless of course a full rotation of the earth is 100,000 "decimal degrees" if you adopt the time divisions of this watch....360 seems so much more workable! Have to say, cool concept though.
    iOS 7 iPhone 4S, black Pebble with shiny rainbow iridescence to screen but hey, that's the price we pay for early adoption.
    Holy shit, Zad. I don't know where to begin.

The earth doesn't rotate in 360 discrete movements. The earth makes one complete rotation, fluid and continuous, around its axis per day. You can divide the duration of that rotation into as many or as few time segments as you want. Dividing it into 360 segments is as arbitrary as dividing by 100 or 100,000 or 1,974. 360 degrees is a human construct, not a heavenly absolute.

The base 6 time and coordinate system might be more familiar to you, but a base 10 system would be simpler to use. For example, try calculating the percentage complete a day would be at 6:43pm "practical" time. (It would be 77.9% complete.)

In decimal time, at 6:43, the day would be 64.3% complete. And when it was 77.9% complete, the decimal time would be 7:79.

The real world use of this watch face is, apparently, to help you think differently (and a little more accurately) about the world you live in.

Put that in your clock and wind it. ;)

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, and may have actually sold me on a Pebble watch. Two things: 

1) I also vote for "10", but understand the "philosophical" argument. :)

2) do the watch "hands" move at the correct speed? I have seen decimal time apps on smart phones that read in decimal time, but still have movements based on your earthman clocks.

thanks!
    I'm happy to hear you've been looking for this, Thjodbjorn. @zad thinks we're crazy for even thinking about it. ;)

The movements are based on decimal time, so there are 100 "ticks" per minute. However, I derive the decimal time from the Pebble watch's time system and every now and then the second hand "jumps" two decimal seconds.

Fair point guys about the arbitrary division of time and yes base 10 does seem so much more logical. But we live in a world of 360. It's nice to know of 7:78 (77.8%) of the way through a day but unless you're a genius at converting from base 10 to regular time on-the-fly, then that's a lot of head-scratching. I suggest a subtle modification with regular time in smaller font below the decimal time and this watch face would be a winner.
    iOS 7 iPhone 4S, black Pebble with shiny rainbow iridescence to screen but hey, that's the price we pay for early adoption.
    Or rather regular time in digits somewhere in all that blank space in the middle of the watch face.
    Zad said:
    Or rather regular time in digits somewhere in all that blank space in the middle of the watch face.
    As easy as it is to change watch faces, I prefer that these remain “decimal only”. 

My pebble was delivered this week, and I love this face and the digital one (which I end up using more often). Great work, and thanks again! Now I need a watch face that displays the date according to the Discordian calendar! :)
  • JayDouglasJayDouglas Posts: 26Member
    Nice one, I want it. Any chance of a SDK2 version?
    Has anyone using this face or the digital one experienced a greatly reduced battery? It's a shame, because I really like these faces.
  • ConnorwintonConnorwinton Posts: 3Member
    have you released this in the pebble app  ive been looking for it i cant find out how to put it on my watch