[iOS/Android] Multinote App called WatchNote

HilkoHilko Posts: 96Member
edited March 11 in Pebble Watchapp Directory
Hello everyone,

I want to show you an app that can transfer notes from a smartphone to your pebble. We are four guys who are working on the Pebble, Android and iPhone app right now.

So far the features of the Application are:

• Send Notes from an iPhone or Android phone to your Pebble
  • Store multiple Notes on your Watch
  • Choose different fonts for the Notes on your Pebble
  • And access them through a menu in the Watch App
  • Easily edit the Notes on your iPhone or Android device
  • Share from Evernote, Google Keep and other apps to WatchNote (atm. only Android)
  • If you change a note (edit, delete or create), only the edited will be updated automatically if connected to the Watch App (Only on Android)
  • On iOS you send the SSL encrypted notes to a server , which generates a new Watch App (Now on Android, too!)
  • No Jailbreak required
  • A note can contain 699 characters and you can have up to 20 notes on your Pebble Watch

We plan to update the apps with even more features, such as two-way-communication on the iOS device.

Release infos:

here the link for the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/id687521584

And a link to our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Watchnote

Post edited by Hilko on

WatchApp: Offshore
WatchNote app: Thread , Play Store and iTunes

Comments

• HilkoHilko Posts: 96Member
    edited March 11
    Current differences between iOS and Android:

The iOS Device needs a connection to the internet in order to create a Watch App once, that will be transferred to the Pebble. Therefore the Notes remain on the Pebble even after you restart the Watch-App or don’t have an internet connection anymore.

In contrast, the Android App does not need an internet connection but at launch of the Watch App it requires a connection to the Android phone. Furthermore the Android device takes a little bit to write all notes to the Pebble, because the transfer rate is restricted to 90 sign per 0,05 seconds.
    The Application begins to load the Notes in the background at startup, in the process the Android app has to run in the background at least.

Presumably we are going to release the Android app in the google play store in the next week and some time later the iOS version for the iPhone. The app will cost approximately 1 to 2 Euro.

And here are some photos of the Watch App.
    The menu screen of the pebble app.
    A view of the Android/iOS app.
    The editing mode on an android device.
    We would be very happy about your feedback and your thoughts about this application.Best regards,
    Hilko

Post edited by Hilko on

• 8a22a8a22a Posts: 449Member
    Awesome. :)
    Pebble Steel (Brushed Stainless Steel) PebbleOS v2.2  -  Pebble iOS App v2.2   -  iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.1
  • eyeiseyeis Posts: 486Member
    @hilko, will the iOS version be non-jailbreak?
    iPhone 5s with iOS 7
    edited May 2013
    @eyeis sure :) But keep in mind, that we don't use two-way-communication on the iOS part at the moment.
    But we plan to integrate it in the future.
    Post edited by Hilko on

• eyeiseyeis Posts: 486Member
    If it cost money but is the same as wills free notepad I think I will keep his
    iPhone 5s with iOS 7
    edited May 2013
    @eyeis 
    There are several differences. Wills Notepad app runs through a Website. Our app runs native on the iPhone (with internet connection atm.) and is therefore likely more user friendly.
     Also you can handle multiple Notes on one watch App.
    @jason
     I forgot to say, that you can change the font of the notes. ;) 

Post edited by Hilko on

• MorbydMorbyd Posts: 338Member
    eyeis said:

If it cost money but is the same as wills free notepad I think I will keep his

I think the extra functionality is worth one measly euro!
  • NealNeal Posts: 182Member
    I really like the idea, but it would be so much better if there could be some way to not send notes to a server.

I haven't looked into (read the docs) the SDK update from a couple days ago yet, but I read it allows local storage for apps on Pebble? So maybe you don't need to hard code the notes in the app, thus not make a new app every time?

Hilko said:
    • On iOS you send the SSL encrypted notes to a server , which generates a new Watch App
    What do you mean by SSL encrypted? Are the notes encrypted before sending or just sent using the SSL protocol?
    Apps: Ultra | OpalX | Readebble | WeMote | VLC Remote | Package Trackr | Breaking News | Hacker News
    Twitter: iNeal  •  GitHub: Neal  •  Website: ineal.me
    Consider donating if you like my work! via Paypal, or Bitcoin: 166cAhcK5AkQDMbVHh56dYrYxcF9nmfXKQ :)
    @Neal
    I agree with you it would be better. We'll try to add the notes without a server as fast as possible under iOS.

I don’t know anything about a local storage of the recent SDK. Could you please tell me where you have heard of it? That would be great.

The note is just send via the SSL protocol. Feel free to drop your ideas on that. On the server we only use your data to build the Watch App after this is complete the date will be removed from the server.

No, there's no storage on the watch in the latest SDK.

We worked hard on the Android app, in order to reach our goal to release the app this week.

The core functions are almost finished. Tomorrow we will start a test-phase and give it to some of our friends and start polishing.

On iOS, the backend is working quiet well at the moment and we make good progress on the app.

• dersiedersie Posts: 1,085Member
    A very good and easy note app for smartwatch I installed on my Sony :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.simthing.weardevice.sony.smartwatch.notes&feature=search_result

It will be good to do the same for Pebble no ?

You have just to choose "Send" on Android menu when you are on app with text : mail, google keep, color note.... and you send the data to the watch.
    It works with all existent note on your phone without need to rewrite a new note on a new app.

@dersie

That note app has an interesting concept, but it's slightly different from our goal I think.

With our app can save multiple notes on the pebble. Also we are planning to implement more functions and one of it is to import texts from other apps on your device.

I think it is all up to personal preferences. You cant build an app that fulfills everyones need ;)

Hilko said:
    @dersie

With our app can save multiple notes on the pebble. Also we are planning to implement more functions and one of it is to import texts from other apps on your device.

This is exactly what this application. You can send as many notes as you want for as much application you want ;)

Status update: 
    The android app is almost finished! all we have to do is set up the finishing touches.
    We are currently fixing bugs and updating some of the UI elements.
    Be prepared for a soon android release!

We are very proud to announce the release of our android app in the google play store!
    It is available in the store and ready to download right now!
    We hope you like the app and would be happy to get some feedback from you.

For the android version we adapted the design to the android look and feel and tried to make the experience as comfortable as possible. It’s the first version and there will be several updates in the next time. We will bring more features to the app and implement support for android tablets.

Link to our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Watchnote

We are really excited about your feedback and very happy if you support us!

Bought!
    Looking forward to testing it out.
    Nice ;) Just to wait having Pebble slot available to try more app :(

edited May 2013
    I just try this app. It is the first time I need to ask refund in 15min.

At this time it is unusable.

Each time you want to see a note on Pebble you must before launch the android app, after launch the Pebble app and wait that synchronize Phone note to the Pebble. If you quit the Pebble app you must relaunch all and resynchronize note. So you can't simply use your Pebble to see a note.

Note will be stay on pebble after is synchronizing otherwise it is not usefull :( :( :(

It will have to wait a major update before using this application ;)

The look and feel is really good and feature interessting, but we need to correct this major issue.

Post edited by dersie on
    edited May 2013
    At the moment, there's no other way for the watch app to work than to synchronize the note upon launch.

The only problem I have had so far is having to relaunch the phone app (and exit and re-enter the watch app) to get it to sync on some occasions. Seems like you have to make sure you exited the phone app with the Home button not the Back (exit) button.
    Post edited by Morbyd on
    edited May 2013
    Morbyd said:

The only problem I have had so far is having to relaunch the phone app (and exit and re-enter the watch app) to get it to sync on some occasions. Seems like you have to make sure you exited the phone app with the Home button not the Back (exit) button.
    Yes, if you must leave the phone to open note, no need to have a watch app :(

Maybe used android app like service ? but it use ressource 24/24 for occasional use....

Waiting for update before try to buy it anew.

Post edited by dersie on
    edited May 2013
    @dersie 
    I am sorry that you had to refund the app and I can understand your issue.
    You have to have the Android app running at least in the background to use the Watchapp. Right now there is no other solution to that.
    The problem is that the pebble does not support any local storage at the moment, so we can't save the notes onto the pebble.

They plan to implement local storage use in an future pebble update, but there is no further information. If they implement that we can fix that issue and store the notes directly on the pebble. :)

Right now we are working on an optional function to generate a Watchapp with your notes implemented through a server, so you don't have to have the Android app running in the background (but then you must have an internet connection while generating the app) just like the iOS app.
    Would it be an acceptable solution for you?

Yes. you have to switch out of the app using the home button in order to keep in in the background. By default Android closes an app if you exit by using the back button.

Thanks for your feedback!

Post edited by Hilko on

edited May 2013

Hilko said:
    @dersie 
    Right now we are working on an optional function to generate a Watchapp with your notes implemented through a server, so you don't have to have the Android app running in the background (but then you must have an internet connection while generating the app) just like the iOS app.
    Would it be an acceptable solution for you?

Yes, that's what I was thinking;)

I'll probably reinstall the application for curiosity :) price is very low ;)

The application not close in the background are not always very reliable and may be closed by system. It would be better an android service that can restart on error.

EDIT
    App reinstalled.
    Why it say "There is a new version watch app ..." often even if we have the last app on watch ?

EDIT EDIT
    Now watch app does not sync note even with android app not close (still visible in running app : 0 process Redemarrage en cours) It seem not working in android app is not in foreground.
    If I put android app in foreground watch app does'nt sync even if I close and reopen watch app.
    I don'nt know how do to find a method for a stable works ???

Pebble and Phone works correctly, I'm always able to cycle from historic notification with the Pebble Reminder app. So BT 2 way works between Pebble and Phone.

EDIT EDIT EDIT
    After much trouble I could synchronize notes one time.
    Sync failure,
    I modify a note, I can synchronize and the text of a note is repeated 2 times in the note on watch.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT
    Pebble freezing in watch note and reboot itself after a few secondes.....

Post edited by dersie on
    edited May 2013
    I wonder if the watch app is clearing buffers properly.
    I'm having some problems with 2-way comms in other apps that used to work just fine and I think it might be because of Watchnote.
    I'm also seeing text from Watchnote popping up in other applications!

EDIT: Yes, Watchnote is the problem. 
    All of my other 2-way coms apps (Pebble Glance, Pebble Tasker, Pebble Reminder/Notification, Pebble Calendar) have been working poorly since I installed Watchnote. But since I didn't use them all immediately after installation, it took me a while to figure out that this was the cause of the problem.

I uninstalled Watchnote (both phone and watch) and everything works fine again. I think you've got a couple of problems.

Is the phone app constantly trying to send data to the watch? Looks like it might be hoarding up all the transmission bandwidth. It is odd for text from Watchnote to be showing up in other watchapps, but I had just that happen.
    Post edited by Morbyd on

dersie said:
    EDIT
    App reinstalled.
    Why it say "There is a new version watch app ..." often even if we have the last app on watch ?

We fixed that now :)

dersie said:
    EDIT EDIT
    Now watch app does not sync note even with android app not close (still visible in running app : 0 process Redemarrage en cours) It seem not working in android app is not in foreground.
    If I put android app in foreground watch app does'nt sync even if I close and reopen watch app.
    I don'nt know how do to find a method for a stable works ???

Pebble and Phone works correctly, I'm always able to cycle from historic notification with the Pebble Reminder app. So BT 2 way works between Pebble and Phone.

EDIT EDIT EDIT
    After much trouble I could synchronize notes one time.
    Sync failure,
    I modify a note, I can synchronize and the text of a note is repeated 2 times in the note on watch.

That is strange. Can you reproduce it? And if, what exactly did you do?

dersie said:
    EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT
    Pebble freezing in watch note and reboot itself after a few secondes.....

That should definitely not happen. What did you do before the freeze? And did it happen multiple times?

Morbyd said:
    Is the phone app constantly trying to send data to the watch? Looks like it might be hoarding up all the transmission bandwidth. It is odd for text from Watchnote to be showing up in other watchapps, but I had just that happen.
    That is very strange because it is send to a specific UUID of the WatchNote App on the Pebble. I will have a look at it.
    How many notes and how many text are you using? It could be a buffer overflow. Because there is no dynamic memory allocation on the pebble, I had to test how much I have available.

Thank you for your feedback it really helps to improve the app! :)

edited May 2013

The changelog for the android version 1.3

- bug fixes in the list view
    - app doesn’t close if back button is pressed
    - close the app by using the exit button

Right now we are working on the function to enable sharing from other Android apps to WatchNote, so you can send text from Evernote or other apps directly to the list of notes.

We are looking further into making it possible to import notes from Evernote and Google Keeper to make it even more comfortable.

Post edited by Hilko on

I had 3 notes of 10-20 lines of text (mainly lists)

It does sound like buffer overflow.

The thing that was really odd was that I continued to have problems with the other apps even after Watchnote watch app was uninstalled. I had to uninstall the phone app. So, looks like data was flowing the whole time.

Is there a way to set it to only send data when it gets a ping from the watch app?
    Same issue for me. Watchnote has severe issue in sending data. Other app receive note data and Watchnote app on phone send data when Pebble app is not active. This seriously alters the communication BT between the Pebble and the other app.

The watch app
    application on the watch receives almost never notes.
    edited May 2013
    @Morbyd, @dersie

We think we found/solved the communication bug!
    We will push a new version to the store tomorrow.

It would be very nice of you if you could test the connection between other apps while our WatchNote app is running simultaneously.

Post edited by Hilko on