Announcing PebbleOS v1.11 Firmware [Release Notes]

JosephJoseph Posts: 565Administrator
edited May 2013 in Announcements and Updates
Wednesday May 29 22:00:00 UTC 2013
Pebble Technology is pleased to announce the release of PebbleOS v1.11 for the Pebble SmartWatch.

What's New
  • Improved Notification UI
  • Allows multiple notifications to be viewed if they arrive within a short time frame
  • Improved Set Time UI
  • Added the option of showing your current speed (as oppossed to your pace) in the RunKeeper application.
  • Swapped next and previous track buttons in the music application.
  • Added the Simplicity watchface.
  • Removed the Fuzzy Time watchface (it is available through the watchapp library).
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a few issues where the bluetooth module would consume too much power.
  • Fixed an issue where rounded rects drawn with graphics_fill_rect did not handle being clipped properly.
  • Sped up text rendering when some of the text layer is clipped off the screen.
  • Fixed a bug where the vibrating motor would get stuck on.
  • Fixed a crash when changing windows, most commonly seen in the set time and set alarm UIs.
  • Fixed an issue where SMS messages on iOS would be incorrectly shown as an email with a very long subject line.
Post edited by Joseph on

Joseph Kristoffer | Community Manager | getpebble.com | @Pebble
•••
Pebble Help and FAQs » | Suggestions and Ideas » | Contact Pebble »

Comments

• JulianBryantJulianBryant Posts: 1Member

Anyone else getting "Update failed"?

• 8a22a8a22a Posts: 449Member
    Nice update.
    Pebble Steel (Brushed Stainless Steel) PebbleOS v2.2  -  Pebble iOS App v2.2   -  iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.1
  • sparkybsparkyb Posts: 3Member
    All amazing updates. These are all things I've been hoping for for a while. I've thought that multiple notifications should be possible from the start, thought it was odd to have to go through setting time and date to set 12/24 hours mode, thought that it should have a clean and simple digital watchface like Simplicity built-in and that fuzzy time makes a better optional download, and often felt that down makes more sense as next in the music app (though this last one could have been a user persistent setting, once we get arbitrary settings for apps).

Shouldn't Simplicity get removed from the watch apps download page now that it is built-in?
  • tgwastetgwaste Posts: 554Member Pebbler
    Thanks for the update guys!

iPhone6+ | Pebble Steel

• YannRousseYannRousse Posts: 29Member
    Update went flawlessly. Thanks for improving the Pebble!

Still hoping for Bluetooth PBAP profile to be soon embedded into the watch.
    (no need to mention the iOS app. Not a reliable solution, obviously).
    iPhone 5s (iOS 7.0.3) - Black Pebble (always current FW)
  • FabricioPatronFabricioPatron Posts: 45Member
    Installing through libpebble, I hope this makes my Pebble usable again!
  • CoronadoisdeadCoronadoisdead Posts: 30Member
    eyeis said:
    @bonez565 I agree. Easier to hit top button
    I find the bottom easier to press because it's easier to pinch (no button on the opposite side).

I was one of the requesters, lol.
  • FabricioPatronFabricioPatron Posts: 45Member
    Installing through libpebble, I hope this makes my Pebble usable again!
    It's stil not working, WHY, WHY, WHY?????

• HamiltonDaviesHamiltonDavies Posts: 2Member
    Thank you, thank you thank you for swapping the music buttons and fixing the stuck vibrator!  Update worked perfectly.
  • auzakiauzaki Posts: 10Member
    bonez565 said:
    Why were the next and previous track buttons swapped?
    i'm quite glad they swapped it! countless times, i instinctively press the bottom button when i intended to play the next track, but then it does the opposite, then I realize my mistake and correct myself.
  • DaveRayDaveRay Posts: 1Member

Anyone else getting "Update failed"?

Getting update failed as well.  any fixes for that?
  • JasonClardyJasonClardy Posts: 1Member
    bonez565 said:
    bonez565 said:
    My guess is the same reason my friend wanted the change, it's easier to press the bottom button than the top and most of the time you're pressing Next so I'm guessing lots of people requested the change.
    Interesting i find it way easier to hit the top button

eyeis said:
    Gonna have to disagree to both of these, with the bottom button you can squeeze the watch, if you do the same with the top you will hit the back button instead.

Although now that I think about it...it probably depends on which hand you wear your watch on. Traditionally you wear it on your "weak" hand (non-dominant hand) so for a majority it is on the left. In that case holding your arm out straight gives you a logical control layout (Rev Play FF) But if you wear it on your right arm it is backwards. Still seems easier to push the bottom button though because of the grip issue. Another advantage: when hitting next track you can still see the screen, where as it is partially obscured when hitting the top bottom. If you are going backwards you already know the previous track, but don't necessarily know what is next.
  • mp3mp3 Posts: 18Member Pebbler
    Thank you so much for the update. The ability to see several notifications that came in a short amount of time is perfect!

Now, I hope we'll see Hangouts support in the Android app, as Google Talk has been deprecated :)
  • JacobSheaJacobShea Posts: 1Member
    Excellent update.  Request, it be nice to disable the "Allows multiple notifications to be viewed if they arrive within a short time frame" new feature in the watch settings - especially for privacy issues showing multiple msgs at once.
  • DeUltiDeUlti Posts: 11Member
    edited May 2013
    Notifications look good, BUT it seems to have affected buttons with Runkeeper. Hitting back or up during or after a run when time/distance is displayed now seems to reboot my pebble :(
    Post edited by DeUlti on
  • bonez565bonez565 Posts: 11Member
    bonez565 said:
    bonez565 said:
    My guess is the same reason my friend wanted the change, it's easier to press the bottom button than the top and most of the time you're pressing Next so I'm guessing lots of people requested the change.
    Interesting i find it way easier to hit the top button

eyeis said:
    Gonna have to disagree to both of these, with the bottom button you can squeeze the watch, if you do the same with the top you will hit the back button instead.

Although now that I think about it...it probably depends on which hand you wear your watch on. Traditionally you wear it on your "weak" hand (non-dominant hand) so for a majority it is on the left. In that case holding your arm out straight gives you a logical control layout (Rev Play FF) But if you wear it on your right arm it is backwards. Still seems easier to push the bottom button though because of the grip issue. Another advantage: when hitting next track you can still see the screen, where as it is partially obscured when hitting the top bottom. If you are going backwards you already know the previous track, but don't necessarily know what is next.
    This exactly I wear my watch on my right hand so that it is easy to use a couple fingers to bridge the power button and use my thumb which naturally lines up with the top button.
  • RideTiRideTi Posts: 217Member Pebbler
    edited May 2013
    Runkeeper seems broken to me, too. I can't back out of the app - the watch resets instead. The watch app doesn't match the setting for pace vs. speed in the primary display setting on the phone app.
    Post edited by RideTi on

Android 4.3
  • TylerBrownTylerBrown Posts: 1Member
    I would just like to know why the switch on the music buttons. It's a bit frustrating to change up the UI on an update. Going to take a bit to get my muscle memory not to hit the back button instead of the forward button, etc. Just a bit frustrating.
  • ChuckyChucky Posts: 221Member Pebbler
    edited May 2013
    Jason Clardy said:
    Going to have to disagree, When you pinch the bottom right button, most would pinch the bottom left and bottom right. When you pinch the top right button, most will pinch the bottom left and top right.....Try it for yourself! If you are pinching the back button that has to be the most awkward position to pinch in :/

But I will agree that it is the majority that wear the watch (ie on the left wrist) where my scenario should be true. If you wear your watch on your right wrist well god only knows what pinches you are using as I couldn't imagine ever wearing a watch on the right wrist.
    Post edited by Chucky on

edited May 2013
    Chucky said:

Jason Clardy said:
    Going to have to disagree, When you pinch the bottom right button, most would pinch the bottom left and bottom right. When you pinch the top right button, most will pinch the bottom left and top right.....Try it for yourself! If you are pinching the back button that has to be the most awkward position to pinch in :/

Well, when we say pinch we mean in a way that doesn't twist the watch.  Pinching a top and a bottom shifts it on the wrist.  Pinching the same area on both sides is a more secure way to do the 'pinch.'
    Post edited by Coronadoisdead on
    whacko said:
    I would just like to know why the switch on the music buttons. It's a bit frustrating to change up the UI on an update. Going to take a bit to get my muscle memory not to hit the back button instead of the forward button, etc. Just a bit frustrating.
    There were a lot of users asking for it to be switched basically.  The new layout is basically the way it was in the promo stuff, and seems to favor those that are right handed and wear the watch on the left hand, which is usually the majority of the population.  Next is used a lot more for most people than Rewind, and this allows an easier press with a pinching motion.
    I don't think there were A LOT of users, when we have run informal polls on this topic here in the forums peoples preference for button layout was pretty evenly split. However it is likely that no one thought to use the Pebble Feature Suggestion form to ask that Pebble NOT change the button layout... Personally I prefer it the original way, with forward on top and back on the bottom.
    Also very true.  I am glad it is how it is now though ;)

An option in the settings like the 12h/24h would be perfect... off to the suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.