[Android] Dialer for Pebble - New call controls for your Pebble!

matejdromatejdro Posts: 1,084Member Regular
edited August 1 in Pebble Watchapp Directory
By default, pebble can display caller number, when somebody is calling you. That is nice, but it offers zero control. For example if you have hands free headphones, you still need to take phone out to confirm call. PebbleDialer fixes that.

With PebbleDialer you can:
  • Answer or reject incoming call
  • Mute ringer of incoming call
  • Toggle in-call microphone mute
  • Toggle speakerphone
  • End call in progress
  • Reject incoming call and send caller SMS

Everything above only from your Pebble!

You can also switch to other apps while in call and then switch back to Dialer for Pebble to get back to your call information and controls.

Dialer

When you want to call somebody and you have headphones with mic or any other hands free device, you can now do so right from your pebble!

To call somebody, you go through 3 simple steps:

1. Filtering step
Here you filter your contact list so you don't have to scroll through all your contacts. If you ever used T9 dialer, its exactly like that except that each Pebble button represents one row of T9 dialer buttons.

Imagine you are entering name of the contact on the regular keyboard. Its the same except that on the Pebble you only have 3 buttons intead of 100 or so on the regular keyboard. That is why each button corresponds to multiple characters (for example if you want to enter either A or D, you need to press UP key in both cases).

Buttons correspond to following characters:

UP Button - abcdef0123 (this button also corresponds to symbols and any other characters not covered by following two buttons)
SELECT Button - ghijklmno456
DOWN Button - pqrstuvwxyz789

So if you want to dial "Michael", you would press SELECT, SELECT, UP, SELECT, UP, UP, SELECT.

You may stop filtering whenever you want (preferably when wanted contact appears on the screen). You may also continue to enter contact's last name (spaces are ignored) or you can even start with its last name.

After you are done with filtering, long press SELECT button.
2. Contact picking
Self explanatory, find your contact on the list using UP and DOWN buttons and then confirm it using SELECT.
3. Number picking
Pick which number you want to dial (mobile, home etc.) and confirm it using SELECT. Call will start now and switch to outgoing call screen in few moments.

Download:

Don't forget to turn off call notification inside your pebble app or you will have a bad time!

Source: Android | Watchapp

Known bugs:
-
Answering calls is not working on many Lollipop devices without root mode
- Mute microphone won't work on some devices (Android bug, not sure if I can do anything about it). Try enabling root mode if you are rooted.
- Call answering won't work on some devices (Android bug, not sure if I can do anything about it). Try enabling root mode if you are rooted.
- Multiple calls at once is broken completely (if someone calls you while you are still in call).

Post edited by matejdro on
My Github: https://github.com/matejdro?tab=repositories
Do you like my apps?

Comments

• PrzemyslawBobnisPrzemyslawBobnis Posts: 18Member
    .apk does not work. Problem with parsing. 
  • DavidFishmanDavidFishman Posts: 60Member Pebbler
    Any plans for an iOS version?
  • kpjimmykpjimmy Posts: 271Member Pebbler
    Apk works fine for me. Watchapp works for me as well. A little learning curve, but works. Made a call to my Google Voice to test. NEAT! Very well done! I do get a blank screen if a notification comes in. I have to back out of the app and go back into it to start over. Otherwise works!
  • matejdromatejdro Posts: 1,084Member Regular

.apk does not work. Problem with parsing. 
    Try again now. Should work with all devices with Android 2.3 and newer.

Sorry, I don't develop for iOS.
    Do you like my apps?
    Updated, added new call controls!
    Do you like my apps?
  • kpjimmykpjimmy Posts: 271Member Pebbler
    Thanks for the update! Do we need to update both files?
    Yes.
    Do you like my apps?
    Ok the files work. But the app does not at all.
    It launches but I can not get to the right phone number. Maybe 400 numbers is too much? After the third letter the screen does not load completely.
    I also tried to anwser a call but pushing the button did nothing at all. 

Will try soon again but for now I had to delete this. 
    When you got call screen, you got pebble default interface or my interface?
    Do you like my apps?
    Your interface exactly like on the first screen. I have the default turned off like You have suggested.
    What about muting button (UP Button)?

1. Does it mute ringer?
    2. Does icon change?
    Do you like my apps?
  • KennethSySuKennethSySu Posts: 5Member
    edited March 2014
    Great work!!
    Post edited by KennethSySu on
  • tanguy01tanguy01 Posts: 58Member Regular
    Great work :)
  • leonlileonli Posts: 3Member
    can we add the motion sensor to answer a call in speaker? it will be useful while driving
    edited June 2013
    dialer really hard to use with 200 contacts. can we add favourite contacts instead, or manual assist 
    Post edited by leonli on
    leon li said:
    dialer really hard to use with 200 contacts. can we add favourite contacts instead, or manual assist 
    What do you mean by manual assist?
    leon li said:
    can we add the motion sensor to answer a call in speaker? it will be useful while driving
    It sounds like a good idea (shaking pebble to answer). But unfortunately, SDK does not support motion sensors yet.
    Do you like my apps?
  • StefanoRattoStefanoRatto Posts: 13Member
    works! Great app, very useful!
  • ZeroManArmyZeroManArmy Posts: 26Member
    Eric = Disproved
    matejdro said:

leon li said:

What do you mean by manual assist?

leon li said:

It sounds like a good idea (shaking pebble to answer). But unfortunately, SDK does not support motion sensors yet.

oops i mean manual assign so you can call favorite people rather than go through whole list. anyway good job well done.
  • SturmehSturmeh Posts: 2Member
    Is it possible to default the list of contacts to the last few people on your call log?

Then add manual entry as a 8th or 1st option.

I can't get my head around the T9 entry. :\
  • anemesanemes Posts: 23Member Pebbler
    Nice! Looks already polished and works as advertised.

Feedback/Bugs:
    - The initial caller id takes about 3 seconds - while it is immediate in the built-in app. Is this lag a result of the SDK? 
    - The mute doesn't work for me either (as somebody posted on the reddit thread)
    - I second the manual assign option. Typically there are only 5 or so people I call regularly enough that a watch shortcut would be beneficial - an optional "google now" trigger might also work (as this is only used when hands free / headset). This could be in the settings of the android app?
    - After completing the call it reverts to the default watch face - not the last app. I assume this is a limitation of the SDK as well? The current switching between apps is a tad clumsy, but that's a pebble UI issue.

Pebble should seriously consider somehow incorporating this (if they aren't working on this functionality already) - I would be happy to donate / buy on google play.
    anemes said:
    Nice! Looks already polished and works as advertised.

Feedback/Bugs:
    - The initial caller id takes about 3 seconds - while it is immediate in the built-in app. Is this lag a result of the SDK? 
    - The mute doesn't work for me either (as somebody posted on the reddit thread)
    - I second the manual assign option. Typically there are only 5 or so people I call regularly enough that a watch shortcut would be beneficial - an optional "google now" trigger might also work (as this is only used when hands free / headset). This could be in the settings of the android app?
    - After completing the call it reverts to the default watch face - not the last app. I assume this is a limitation of the SDK as well? The current switching between apps is a tad clumsy, but that's a pebble UI issue.

Pebble should seriously consider somehow incorporating this (if they aren't working on this functionality already) - I would be happy to donate / buy on google play.
    1. Pebble SDK takes that amount of time. But I can't figure out why, sometimes its super fast and sometimes is slow as hell. Like its randm.
    2. Are you sure? You need to test it by speaking to it, icon on the phone won't change.
    3. Will work on that.
    4. PebbleDialer is an app like every other. And since only one app can run at a time, previous one must be closed.

Do you like my apps?
  • anemesanemes Posts: 23Member Pebbler
    Hey,

1. Yeah - the response does vary randomly.
    2. Yes, I noticed that the speaker phone and mute icons don't change on the phone, but while speaker phone works, the mute didn't. 
    4. Yeah - thought so.

Thanks again - It was great being able to make/answer calls and hang up today while out and about with my headphones on - all while the phone stayed in my pocket!
  • AndreiAndrei Posts: 1Member
    I found a bug in the app today: if I am in a call with person A, person B calls me in the meantime and I reject the second call the watch face will ignore that I rejected the call and act like I'm talking with person B (also resetting timer to 0:00), even though I'm still on the phone with person A.
    It appears muting thing is known bug with Android where some devices (and/or roms) do not respect mic mute API. I will see what can I do but for now consider it Android bug.

Interesting bug with persons A and B. I will see what I can do.

Do you like my apps?
  • PatrickCapelloPatrickCapello Posts: 3Member Pebbler
    Great job with this app! I love being able to answer and dismiss calls from Pebble and it's great being able to toggle speakerphone. I'm using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and I am also unable to mute calls with this app.

I primarily use the Pebble Glance app as my watchface but after receiving a call with PebbleDialer, the phone reverts back to my default watch face.  Is it possible to have the Pebble return to Glance after receiving a call?

Thanks,
    Pat
    No, its not possible sorry. PebbleDialer is app like every other and only one app can run at the time on Pebble, so PebbleDialer will close Glance.
    Do you like my apps?
  • dersiedersie Posts: 1,085Member Regular
    It can just return to Pebble Menu on the Glance Line and you just have to push midlle button to re-launch Glance. (Like Pebble Reminder or Holo Alarm V2.0.2)

• KartikeyaKarnatakKartikeyaKarnatak Posts: 19Member Pebbler
    Hi, I just installed this app, pebble & android both.
    When I select pebble dialer on watch, it just displays "Loading". I have waited for 10 mins, its still the same. Shall I wait more, or some other configuration is required?
    I don't have a huge contact list, around 100 or so, but I do have google account integrated, which might have some email Ids, will it all the names in the contact list, or just having phone numbers?