Who wants a Pebble Watch Face Tutorial? (& ALL Parts 1 to 7 Released!)

ChrisLewisChrisLewis Posts: 305Member, Administrator, Moderator, PDR14 admin
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Hi all,

After using the Pebble SDK to create a good number of watch faces and a few watch apps, I've managed to obtain a position where I know enough about the process to write a tutorial to help others make a splash in making their own customisations to their watches. I have an initial plan written up for the first few instalments, and now I'd like help from the community to gauge the need for such a series of tutorials. 

Here's the rough plan:
  1. Beginner's Primer to the C Language
  2. Applying the C Primer to the Watch Face SDK
  3. ADDITIONAL: Setting up a Ubuntu environment
  4. Writing Your First Watch Face!
  5. Fonts, Images, Animations
  6. 2-way communication
Please let me know any other areas you'd like to know about in more detail and I'll do my best to write them up. I'm hoping to use a format that is accessible to a non-programmer to help grasp the concepts of C, especially for the first instalment. After that, the style will change up slightly to enable the reader to apply what they've learned without feeling too amateurish. 

Thanks!

UPDATE: Here are the finished sections:

Post edited by ChrisLewis on
Pebble SDK Tutorial Author. Pebble Developer Relations Team.
Watch Trigger // Wristponder // Dashboard Developer.
CL Pebble Apps: Get all my watchapps/faces (and updates) with one Android app.

·

Comments

• RaleighBrewerRaleighBrewer Posts: 1Member
    I think that's a great idea! I've been using watchface-generator.de, but it would be really cool to learn how to do it myself. I've wanted to learn how to program basic things or even get into developing an app or game for the OUYA at some point, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I think your series is a great way to get people into the programming world. Go for it!
    ·
  • SalmanAhmedSalmanAhmed Posts: 46Member
    Sounds awesome mate. I have been looking at the cloudpebble.net, but still very confused.
    Your mentioned plan;
    1. Beginner's Primer to the C Language
    2. Applying the C Primer to the Watch Face SDK
    3. Writing Your First Watch Face!
    4. More Advanced Features and Concepts
    sounds great and cannot wait for your tutorials. Good luck and Thank you.
    G+ ID: 117146302888258067959
    ·
  • hacquahacqua Posts: 2Member
    Awesome initiative. In my case, I would not be interest specifically in watch faces, but in 2-way watch apps. More specifically, how to send data as strings or list items to the watch in order to build a menu to control an Android app. This seems a basic task but I cannot get how to do it only with the api docs.

·
  • ChrisLewisChrisLewis Posts: 305Member, Administrator, Moderator, PDR14 admin
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll update the OP when I've finished the first part!

·
    hacqua said:
    Awesome initiative. In my case, I would not be interest specifically in watch faces, but in 2-way watch apps. More specifically, how to send data as strings or list items to the watch in order to build a menu to control an Android app. This seems a basic task but I cannot get how to do it only with the api docs.

I agree with hacqua 2-way watch apps is of more interest to me than watch faces. Either way, can't wait for your first part tutorial.

Cheers dude.
    ·
  • MikeDePaceMikeDePace Posts: 2Member
    Will this be on the PC side?  I think they just came out with the IOS side, correct?

Anyway...this would be great!  

I know C# well so I think that I should be able to adapt to this with a little work.  

My problem is setting up the development interface properly and getting my feet wet.  

If you cover getting the coding environment set up (sdk) and a basic tutorial for generating a watch face that would help a lot of people.

thanks!
    Mike

·
    Hi Mike, this will indeed by on the PC side. I have added a link to the first section in the OP. I've also added another part for setting up the Ubuntu environment, planned for the future.

·
    edited June 2013
    Part 2 is now available! See the OP. 

EDIT: And Part 3!

·
  • markreedmarkreed Posts: 275Member Regular
    chris, great work. one suggestion is it might be worth having a paragraph that mentions cloudpebble is an alternate method to the task of installing environments yourself (eg. if you don't have the hight hardware, just want to focus on writing code etc.)
    I'm definitely no coder but have been tinkering around a bit by importing source code from github and making simple mods, given my very basic understanding of what's going on. for example this way you can quickly customise an existing watchface to meet your needs, rather than bothering developers.
    www.markspebblefaces.com
    ·
    Hi mark, that's a great idea. I'll add that to the plan. I'm hoping to get Part 4 done tonight and early tomorrow. I'll edit part 3 with your paragraph now. 

·
    Part 4 is available now! Plus an announcement concerning the next section (small unavoidable time delay). Considering completely overhauling the OP now I've done the majority of the material. 

·
  • LEOFongLawrenceLEOFongLawrence Posts: 20Member Pebbler
    thx... super useful!
    ·
  • HirenShahHirenShah Posts: 17Member Pebbler
    Instead of Part 3, will CloudPebble.net suffice?
    ·
  • LEOFongLawrenceLEOFongLawrence Posts: 20Member Pebbler
    please... make a httpebble tutorial....
    ·
  • SuzanneSchillerSuzanneSchiller Posts: 1,678Moderator mod

Excellent

Forum Moderator

Kickstarter OG Black and OG White
    Brushed Stainless Steel
    Time White
    Waiting on Time Steel
    iPhone 6

·
  • rocketwizrocketwiz Posts: 19Member
    Great job - very helpful for beginners!
    ·
    Excellent work dude. Thanks a lot for these tutorials.
    I did part one. Then in order to get grasp of C more, I did some tutorials on C. Then I went through part 2. Skipped the part 3 for now, as I will be using cloudpebble initially. Then half way through part 4 I got lost. I am more interested in making apps for pebble than making watch faces, so will wait for your next tutorial. Still, thanks a lot for the awesome work.

Regards

Salman
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Salman, Thanks for the feedback. I can't write any more at the moment, but when I can that indeed will be one of the next topics I'll be looking at. If you look at my plan in the OP, that will be part 6. 

Where did you get lost? Perhaps I can shed a little more light?

·
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for your reply Chris. Hope you are having a nice time. I did get it until handler functions.

Thanks for all the help.
    Post edited by SalmanAhmed on
    ·
    any eta on the next tutorials please?
    ·
    edited July 2013
    @SalmanAhmed, I got back last night! Just preparing the finishing touches to part 5 now. Thanks for bearing with me.

·
  • SeanHavinsSeanHavins Posts: 12Member Pebbler
    Thank you soo much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I just got mine today and know I will soon want to make a face that is easy on old eyes that no longer focus at wrist distance.
    ·
    Thanks @ChrisLewis. Waiting for the part 6 (patiently :))
    ·
    Sean, you're welcome! 

·
  • AlAl Posts: 219Member Pebbler
    @ChrisLewis this is great stuff... will you be doing a step on how to use httpebble also? That would be awesome
    ·

Al said:
    @ChrisLewis this is great stuff... will you be doing a step on how to use httpebble also? That would be awesome
    Thanks! I haven't looked into httpebble yet, but that would be another interesting thing to write about. 

·
    @SalmanAhmed Part 6 is here! 

·
    @SalmanAhmed Part 6 is here! 
    awesome dude. Thanks....
    ·
  • AlAl Posts: 219Member Pebbler
    @ChrisLewis do you think you could do a tutorial on how to create a watchface/app with a lot of text that involves scrolling? That would be great!
    ·
    Al, do you mean scrolling like a long SMS notification?

·