[iOS] Pebble App v1.2 Now Available in iTunes Store

JosephJoseph Posts: 567Administrator admin
edited August 2013 in Announcements and Updates
Download Pebble App for iOS v 1.2 here »

What's New
  • Added incoming email notification support for Gmail and generic IMAP email services.
  • For instructions on using the new email features, visit our Help article.
Notes
The Pebble app polls every 9 minutes and only sends notifications of unread messages. If you email yourself from various email clients to test the feature, be aware that it is possible your email client will mark a message read if its a message to yourself. Wait for an unread message to arrive to determine how things are working. Also, like Caller ID, the Pebble app is now handling email notifications. If iOS force quits the Pebble app, or you remove it yourself from running in the background, you won't get email notifications.
Post edited by Joseph on

Joseph Kristoffer | Community Manager | getpebble.com | @Pebble
•••
Pebble Help and FAQs » | Suggestions and Ideas » | Contact Pebble »

·

Comments

• BobPennBobPenn Posts: 121Member
    edited August 2013
    I just downloaded the Pebble app for iOS 1.2. It adds email to the setup screen. I added my Apple iCloud account and immediately got an email notification on the watch ... but I had already done the finger dance earlier. So I wondered, what happens without the finger dance.

I turned Bluetooth off and then on and did nothing else, leaving the 1.2 app launched and sent myself an email. No notification on the watch!

Then I quit the Pebble app and relaunched it and sent a new email. No notification on watch.

Then I did the finger dance and sent another email. This time the watch notified me.

So from my limited testing, this update, other than allowing you to enter an email address, doesn't actually automatically do the email unless you continue to do the finger dance. 

It may be the setup I did? But since there are no on line instructions, I tried my best using Apple's online instructions.
    Post edited by BobPenn on
    ·
    BTW: there are 4 fields to fill out:

email address
    hostname, which I put imap.mail.me.com
    your password
    an on/off switch for SSL, which I have as on
    ·
    edited August 2013
    Update: now email notifications are hit and miss, even with the finger dance! I got one for three just now with further testing ... agghhh! I had to re-finger dance, if such a term exists, to get it to work again, even though I'd done nothing to the phone or watch since my last email post finger dance. Perhaps the app is now interfering with the finger dance's actions? Got me ...
    ·
  • beleafbeleaf Posts: 50Member
    Anyone know the hostname for "live.com" email?
    ·
  • Jose_LuisJose_Luis Posts: 271Member Regular

So, what´s the sense of entering an specific email data?

iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.6 Jailbreak)

·
  • Jose_LuisJose_Luis Posts: 271Member Regular
    Ah, well. I see the sense. I added my gmail account data to Pebble App, though I don´t have it in my email iPhone App, and received a notification in my pebble, and not in my phone.

iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.6 Jailbreak)

·
    Exactly. If it doesn't remove the finger dance, then it appears to have no point, since iOS7 should be able to send email notifications without even the need for an app running, according to the specs. 
    ·
    So it appears to work with GMail, but it may not work properly with other IMAP sources?
    ·
  • orviwanorviwan Posts: 2,462Member, Moderator mod
    To be clear. You don't need to do the finger dance, In fact, you don't have the iOS mail notifications enabled at all. The Pebble app does the polling and notifying.

Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 (iOS 8)

Available on the Pebble appstore
    91 Dub 2.0
    Chunk Weather 2.0
    Aviator
    ·
    It's not working for me without the finger dance. No mail notifications come to my watch from Apple's iCloud email. Maybe the polling is so slow that I'm expecting it to be relatively close to the actual receipt on the phone? In fact, if I did the finger dance, then I should get two notifications ...one from iOS and one from Pebble, it would seem to me. That certainly hasn't happened yet.
    ·
  • 8a22a8a22a Posts: 449Member Regular
    That's awesome. :)
    Pebble Steel (Brushed Stainless Steel) PebbleOS v2.2  -  Pebble iOS App v2.2   -  iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.1
    ·
    Not working for me. See posts in forum ...
    ·
  • orviwanorviwan Posts: 2,462Member, Moderator mod
    If you're finger dancing to get notifications, you're getting standard iOS ones, not ones from the Pebble app.

I am actually having the same problem as you, the first time I set it up, I received the notification from the Pebble app, but I haven't received the alerts since then.

Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 (iOS 8)

91 Dub 2.0
    Chunk Weather 2.0
    Aviator
    ·
  • dnphillipsdnphillips Posts: 22Member
    To other gmail users... it is the buzz on the watch pretty timely?  I mean, do you get a notification immediately after a message arriving in your gmail inbox?
    ·
  • 8a22a8a22a Posts: 449Member Regular
    Seem to work great with my own domain email.
    Pebble Steel (Brushed Stainless Steel) PebbleOS v2.2  -  Pebble iOS App v2.2   -  iPhone 5s - iOS 7.1.1
    ·
  • RyanAdlerRyanAdler Posts: 9Member
    I am also having the problem that the notifications aren't working, unless I have the app open and up front.  I am on iOS 7, though, so this may be related.
    ·
  • copychiefcopychief Posts: 82Member
    Obviously we need more info about how often it's checking - but based on what I've seen over the last hour or so, I'm not sure it's working 100%. At any rate, I actually preferred the old "finger dance" solution - because I could make it work with VIP contacts only on my iPhone. I don't want to receive a notification for every newsletter & ad I get - only for the important emails.

I would be interested to know, however... How often does the Pebble poll for new email? And what impact does this ultimately have on iPhone & Pebble battery?
    ·
  • RomanKRomanK Posts: 23Member Pebbler
    Silly question, so if i have gmail app sending out notification and i configure notifications via pebble, will i get double?
    ·
    edited August 2013
    Just sent two more emails to my account after turning bluetooth off and then on the phone, resetting the finger dance. This time I wanted to see how long it would take to get to my watch via the Pebble app, which would indicate how often it polls the server. I will update this post ... but after 4 minutes ... nothing yet, even though the messages have reached the phone and my outlook app at work, both within one second of each other.

UPDATE: 8 minutes and no notifications.

UPDATE: 12 minutes ... no notifications. After 12 minutes it really doesn't matter to me, since this amount of time is useless to me. The message will have been on the phone the entire time, and the entire point of the Pebble is lost, at least to me, if the polling isn't in real time as the phone is ...
    ·
    Same here, sent a few test messages to myself and nothing, kind of silly
    ·
    edited August 2013
    Tried one more thing. I turned Bluetooth off and on again, resetting the finger dance. Then I finger danced only the Pebble app. It made sense in a way. The result was the same: no message sent to the watch. 

That's all the UAT I can do now. I officially give up. It doesn't work. It's up to the Pebble folk to explain how to make it work. 
    ·
    the only way it seems to work for me if once i restart pebble app, it will send me the last message and then it stops
    ·
    Here is the official tweet from Pebble:

iOS Pebblers: Pebble App v1.2 is now available in the iTunes Store, and we created a new article to get you set up.

Uhhh, where is this article? I can't find it.

·
  • astrodadastrodad Posts: 8Member Pebbler
    This an epic fail. Like so many others, I have done all of the steps. Roman.K has it right. I can restart Pebble and it will show the last message and then that's it. This is with Gmail.
    ·
  • AdamFryAdamFry Posts: 27Member Pebbler
    Same here with gmail, received previous email when set up the pebble app, then nothing since :(
    ·
  • astrodadastrodad Posts: 8Member Pebbler
    BobPenn said:
    Here is the official tweet from Pebble:

iOS Pebblers: Pebble App v1.2 is now available in the iTunes Store, and we created a new article to get you set up.

Uhhh, where is this article? I can't find it.

http://help.getpebble.com/customer/portal/articles/1246806-setting-up-ios-email

·
  • TrentWardwellTrentWardwell Posts: 1Member
    fantastic....seems to be working great (I use the GMAIL app on my iphone 4s).  Texts and Emails seem to both be coming through right now.  Loving it.  Now if we can get the caller id for incoming phone calls the world would be a better place.
    ·
    Thanks. Read it. Learned how to turn off the notifications by pressing the blue bar. But since it doesn't work with Apple mail. Tried re-entering my password hoping it was user error. Nope. Still won't work without a finger dance.
    ·
  • ColinHelvensteijnColinHelvensteijn Posts: 10Member
    edited August 2013
    For iCloud/MobileMe, use these settings:

Email: [username]@me.com
    Hostname: imap.mail.me.com
    Password: self-explanatory
    SSL: on

By the way, why can't we just select "iCloud" (like Gmail), enter our email and password and be done? In other words, why a special case for Gmail but not for iCloud? Seems to me the latter is at least as common, if not way more common, on iOS.
    Post edited by ColinHelvensteijn on
    ·
  • AndrewEllisAndrewEllis Posts: 1Member
    How about simple POP accounts?
    ·
This discussion has been closed.