[Android] Notification Center for Pebble - Ultimate notification replacement

matejdromatejdro Posts: 1,041Member Regular

This app completely replaces pebble's notification system with new one and adds a lot of features. It can function either with or without custom watchapp. Features that work in either mode:
  • Extreme customizability (everything can be turned on/off and customized to your liking)
  • Up to 20 custom canned responses (4x more than Pebble's default 5)
  • Enhanced notification filtering (regex, per-app ongoing toggle etc.)
  • Voice reply (using phone's mic or attached headphones)
  • Send notifications from Tasker and execute Tasker tasks from notification actions
  • RTL support when paired with PebbleBits firmware (More info)
  • Replace characters that Pebble cannot display with those that can
  • Modify all settings automatically using Tasker/AutoMagic/Locale
  • And more
Functions enabled by using custom watchapp:
  • Configurable notification timeout
  • When notification is dismissed on phone, it gets dismissed on Pebble
  • Up to 4x longer text than with native Pebble notifications
  • Shake actions (shake to dismiss, shake to mark as read etc.)
  • Per-App vibration pattern (know which app is notifying you without even looking)
  • Type your replies from scratch on the Pebble (and paste in predefined phrases for improved typing speed)
  • View currently active notifications and perform actions on them even if you already closed notification
  • Spam filter
  • And more

On top of everything, it is OPEN SOURCE, so if you have an idea for a feature, feel free to submit pull request.

Download

Source: Android | Pebble

Special thanks to Elzor for hourglass icon, to Pebble Notifier for opening its source and to all other contributors [1] [2].

Documentation, F. A. Q (Recommended to READ BEFORE INSTALLING):

This forum limits number of characters in posts so documentation was moved:

CLICK

I SWITCHED TO ANDROID WEAR RECENTLY SO FEATURE DEVELOPMENT ON THIS APP IS STOPPED. FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS OR OTHER ISSUES, BUT FEATURE REQUESTS WILL LIKELY WENT UNIMPLEMENTED FOR NOW.
Scratch that, I just got form for free developer Pebble Time, so it looks like you won't get rid of me so easily.

Post edited by matejdro on
My Github: https://github.com/matejdro?tab=repositories
Do you like my apps?
·

Comments

• PatrickMcWilliamsPatrickMcWilliams Posts: 79Member
    edited October 2013
    trying this out... So far (not much use, yet) this seems really amazing!! One thing bothering me, the actual body of the text is wayy to small for me, is there any way to make it bigger/bolder? Also oddly if I get multiple notifications at once, when I go to the next one (either by scrolling to it or double pressing) it chops off the title and sub-title and the fading thing at the top covers the first line of text so I can't read it, and I can't scroll back up to read any of it or the titles, it just jumps to the previous notif. 
    EDIT: added question about larger text
    EDIT: added bug about notifications
    Post edited by PatrickMcWilliams on
    ·
  • EdwardMcLeanEdwardMcLean Posts: 1Member
    Really cool idea! It's annoying having to manually dismiss notifications on my phone when I've already seen them on my watch.

Just two small problems for me:
    • System apps aren't showing up in the app list, so if I'm using the including mode I can't enable it for the Messaging app.
    • After I dismiss a notification it goes to the menu rather than back to my watchface.
    If these can be fixed I'll use this all the time.
    ·
  • dersiedersie Posts: 1,085Member Regular
    Good idea ;

When a
    notification arrives is that it destroys the current running application or not ? example stopwatch or timer ?

continues to run or is it stopped ?

·
  • CurtisBlackwellCurtisBlackwell Posts: 13Member
    This sounds great. Any chance we can get support for other languages? Pebble Notifier International uses unicode to achieve this, but it's super slow and a little buggy. Also doesn't have the nifty features you built in.
    ·
  • MaziarRezvaniMaziarRezvani Posts: 1Member
    edited October 2013
    This is great. I've been looking for a way to do this since I got my pebble. Excited to see this improve over time.

Edit: Seems like for certain apps the body of the notification is not shown. For example, I use Boomerang as my mail app and when a notification comes in all I get on the Pebble is "Boomerang".
    Post edited by MaziarRezvani on
    ·
  • matejdromatejdro Posts: 1,041Member Regular
    edited October 2013
    • You can make text larger and show system apps in settings
    • Yes, when switching between notifications it will scroll down a bit. But you should be able to scroll back up
    • Does Boomerang show text in Android notification? Can you make screenshot of it?
    • Yes, switching apps will destroy current application, this is how Pebble works I can't do anything about it. It will probably improve with next firmware updates and state saving.
    • App closing down to menu is Pebble problem, I can't do anything about it.
    • Sorry, Pebble Notifier International renders text on phone and sends it to Pebble as image. This works for smaller text, but would be super slow for longer text that Notification Center supports.
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
  • shiznitshiznit Posts: 70Member Pebbler

Hi, thanks for the app, great work!

Just a few suggestions:

Vibrate only when receiving a new notification.  At the moment it vibrates every time you browse your active/historic notifications, which can get annoying and wastes battery.

Please allow us to skip to the next/previous notification while viewing them in history.

Is it possible to go straight back to the watchface after dismissing a notification, rather than the main menu?

Could you hide the subtitle when it matches the title, to save some screen space?

An option to disable notifications while the phone screen is on, and quiet hours.

Thanks again!

·
  • JuhaViheriakoskiJuhaViheriakoski Posts: 50Member
    that would good -->  go straight back to the watchface after  notification,

thanks for developing this! 
    ·
  • IraFuchsIraFuchs Posts: 363Member Regular
    Very nice app although this functionality really ought to be part of the firmware. I would second the request for turning off vibrate for reviewing old notifications.
    ·
  • MorbydMorbyd Posts: 338Member Regular
    Great app! Thanks!!

I'm not using it to send notifications (don't like having to double-press to dismiss and return to watch face, not your fault) but I really like the ability to view and dismiss all active notifications and notification history.

One more vote for removing the vibration when viewing active notifications and history. It is a bit annoying.
    ·
    Hmm.. OK, here's a problem.
    I've checked a few programs in the app picker because I want Notification Center to keep track of them in History.
    But I've turned off "send ongoing notifications" and "enable custom notifications" and it's still sending notifications to the watch.

Is it possible to turn off sending notifications to the watch so as to just use this for viewing active and historic notifications via your watchapp?
    ·
    • Disabling vibrating is planned
    • What do you mean by skipping history? You can scroll down how long you want
    • Sorry, returning to menu is "bug" in Pebble firmware. I can't do anything about it
    • Interesting, never saw that (title matching subtitle), but added to my list
    • Disabling on screen on also planned
    • And disabling notifications altogether is also planned (only history and current notifications).
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
  • shiznitshiznit Posts: 70Member Pebbler
    edited October 2013
    Thank you so much for the quick update! It's working great! After opening an old notification in history, I cannot skip between notifications by double pressing up/down. I have to press back first to go to the list of notifications, then select the next one I want to view. It also looks like disabling popups prevents you from being able to view old notifications.
    Post edited by shiznit on
    ·
    After the update, in the watchapp I can't go from list view to notification details. It's not responding when I press the select key.
    ·
    Try rebooting both Pebble and phone.
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
  • JulianStarkeJulianStarke Posts: 98Member Regular
    shiznit said:
     It also looks like disabling popups prevents you from being able to view old notifications.
    Same here :) I cant open a notification from history if popups are disabled in the app.

I'm also using you're fine app to view past notifications and sometimes dismiss one ;) Not for sending live-notifications, because of the hickups with first-to-menu-then-to-watchface and the reloading watchface after dismissing a notification (I'm using canvas with an relatively complex watchface, which load a while...).

Anyway: Keep on the good work and let us buy your app for a dollar or two ;)
    ·
    Okay that was a bit of fail. Releasing new version with that fixed right now :)
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
  • SalmanAhmedSalmanAhmed Posts: 46Member
    Thanks a lot for this awesome app mate. Well done.

BTW is it possible for you to have a Tasker implementation? As, at the moment I am using Pebble Notifier plugin through Tasker to send some custom notifications, it would be awesome to have send those notifications through Notification Center instead.

Thanks
    G+ ID: 117146302888258067959
    ·
    edited October 2013
    You can still use Pebble Notifier with all Notificaiton Center features, just make sure 3rd party notifications is checked in settings.
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
  • ReinhardMitschangReinhardMitschang Posts: 461Member Regular
    hum...love to see, where this app is going, but as long as every notification is killing the running Pebble-App, it's making stopwatch- and timer-apps pretty much useless.
    ·
    I agree with you, but there is no other way to do this unfortunately.
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
  • ReinhardMitschangReinhardMitschang Posts: 461Member Regular
    time for the SDK-guys to come up with some good news! ;-)
    ·
    matejdro said:
    You can still use Pebble Notifier with all Notificaiton Center features, just make sure 3rd party notifications is checked in settings.
    If I send a notification through Pebble Notifier plugin, then I get double notifications on my pebble. One in original Pebble Notification format and one in this app!
    Thanks
    ·
    Disable custom notifications in Pebble app.
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
    You beat me to it! Yeah, just tried that and now only one notification is being sent (i.e pebble original notification format). It would be cool for ultimate notifications to have an option to send notifications through Tasker.

Thanks a lot mate. Excellent app.
    ·
    No, disable custom notifications in Pebble app, but ENABLE them in Notification Center app.
    Do you like my apps?
    ·
    Awesome! Thank you
    ·
    Just noticed something. I am using Messnger (facebook) as my main text-messaging app. And Sometimes the ultimate notifications displays the whole content (i.e the message) and sometimes I only see "Messenger" with no content. Bug?
    ·
    It could be bug with either Notification Center or with Messenger.

1. Do you see hourglass icon at the top when message is empty?
    2. Do bugs come in pairs (so you get buggy notification together with proper notification)?
    Do you like my apps?
    ·