Pebble 2.0 BETA - Feedback on User Experience

Comments

• AaronCheahAaronCheah Posts: 4Member
    Hi Everyone,

I've come to realise that once i've completely drained my battery off the pebble, whenever i charge it up again, it goes into recovery mode. I am having to revert back to v1.12.1 load it back up again and then re-update it to v1.13

I can't seem just start it up normally or enable my pebble with v1.13. Is anybody else having the same issue? Any resolution as well? Thanks

AC
  • ProtonusProtonus Posts: 1,244Member
    Any guestimates on the number of betas likely to be released before public release? I could not find a general 2.0 topic so I ask here.
    The number of builds that it takes to be stable and ready for public release.  That's all anyone can say.
    Developers can't predict the future, there is no way to know what new bugs will be created trying to fix existing ones, so the exact number of builds is always an unknown.

1.) The first rule of good software testing is you don't ask for an ETA
    2.) The second rule of good software testing is you don't ask how many builds it'll take

Did I help you today, or you liked what I had to say?  If so, please click the Like or Agree button below this post!
    I don't work for Pebble nor am I affiliated with them. I beta test apps! LMK if you need a tester for a SDK 2.0 app!

Pebble App 2.0 Beta 11 f/w v2.0.1 h/w V2R2  •  Verizon HTC Droid DNA    Android 4.4.2 KK  •  Viper DNA ROM v3.5.0
    Black Pebble (from Best Buy) + SlickWraps Black Carbon Fiber wrap & Screen Protector + Custom 550 Paracord Band

• Vance HugginsVance Huggins Posts: 175Member
    Protonus said:
    Any guestimates on the number of betas likely to be released before public release? I could not find a general 2.0 topic so I ask here.
    The number of builds that it takes to be stable and ready for public release.  That's all anyone can say.
    Developers can't predict the future, there is no way to know what new bugs will be created trying to fix existing ones, so the exact number of builds is always an unknown.

1.) The first rule of good software testing is you don't ask for an ETA
    2.) The second rule of good software testing is you don't ask how many builds it'll take
    I tried to slink my way around it by asking question number 2 because I am well aware of number 1! It was obviously a round about way f trying to get a release date.  Lesson learned!
  • barky81barky81 Posts: 6Member
    edited December 2013
    FYI...brand new Pebble here...

Updated to 2.0 beta2 on IOS (iPhone 5/7.0.4) and flashed firmware from https://developer.getpebble.com/2/download/Pebble-2.0-BETA2-v1_5.pbz

After that, added Smartwatch+ and its Smartstatus 2...

Notifications were iffy it seemed.

In experimenting with phone calls, discovered that although I received call notification on Pebble, the buttons to answer or dismiss did not work...

Deleted Smartwatch+ and Smartstatus, rebooted phone got trapped in "recovery mode"... Deleted Smartwatch+ app from phone, and ended up in a "loop" where the Pebble would not communicate with the phone (would both say "connected" and update available but it would not connect the 2nd (Pebble-LE) connection. Pebble would just say "Run Pebble app==>phone". Ultimately reverted to the 13.0-b0 stable on the Pebble. The phone Pebble app still says 2.0-BETA2, but everything reconnected and now I can both decline and answer calls from the Pebble....

FYI, I just re-flashed the 2.0-BETA2 firmware again from the same link and immediately tested the call action buttons...they DON'T work.
    Post edited by barky81 on
  • John05John05 Posts: 27Member
    edited December 2013
    Protonus said:
    there will be a huge message in the Phone side app to warn you that the update you're about to do will wipe your existing apps out and you'll need to find 2.0 compatible ones.
    Yeah, something like that. A little bit like upgrading Android to find the changes to their API have broken some of your apps, albeit this is worse.

Personally I think with a big enough warning AND an option to ignore it a while, it will be ok. Also it's about the message. Saying "Upgrade to be able to try all the new cool stuff, but you will have to completely reset your watch and start again. Or you can choose to leave it as it is and nothing will change" isn't so bad. 

A bigger potential problem is what if I've PAID for pre-2.0 apps? Unless its possible to upgrade them to support BOTH APIs (multiple versions of the code in one package?), how does a developer charge for 2.0 apps, but give an upgrade from the earlier API for free? Google Play, for one, doesn't support this concept does it? For sure it's one thing to have to re-install 2.0 compatible versions of things, but quite another to have to pay again for them! Maybe apps can detect which version of the Pebble API they're targeting and install the correct version?
    Post edited by John05 on
    John said:
    A bigger potential problem is what if I've PAID for pre-2.0 apps?
    Please can we keep this thread on topic, for what it's supposed to be about (actual actual experience on 2.0 beta 2?)

This isn't a problem, already works fine, again, there's no use stressing or even posting about, about these things as they're not even issues and of course will be handled (this is a BETA!)...  Apps like Music Boss, Pebble Rocker, Simply Alarm Holo, etc, ALREADY support both 1.x and 2.x watch apps/firmwares in the current Play store version, from the one Android app version, and can detect which firmware you're using (by Pebble phone app version), and deploy the correct watch face to your device.  No down time, no thinking, it just works.

Apps that are PURELY watch apps (no phone side) you'll continue to update just like you always have... thru the author's web page or a site like mypebblefaces.com which ALSO already has a SDK 1.0 / 2.0 filter! 

Did I help you today, or you liked what I had to say?  If so, please click the Like or Agree button below this post!
    I don't work for Pebble nor am I affiliated with them. I beta test apps! LMK if you need a tester for a SDK 2.0 app!

Pebble App 2.0 Beta 11 f/w v2.0.1 h/w V2R2  •  Verizon HTC Droid DNA    Android 4.4.2 KK  •  Viper DNA ROM v3.5.0
    Black Pebble (from Best Buy) + SlickWraps Black Carbon Fiber wrap & Screen Protector + Custom 550 Paracord Band

• XamarXamar Posts: 1Member
    My feedback:

Vibration: Make vibration level selectable. I find the standard vibration to be too hard, it would be nice to have two or three levels.

Self companion web hosting: Some apps require internet connection for just adjusting a few parameters on the phone (ie: Morpheuz http://www.mypebblefaces.com/apps/9400/7424/ ). Any chance we could create a new package that could have the hosted content (html+JS+CSS+anything) and the app itself?  That would be compatible with IOS/Android as long as the JS is coded properly.

• PeterHardyPeterHardy Posts: 519Member
    The home and watchfaces menus in the watch firmware remembers the last position and jumps to it. But the settings and alarms menus do not. Without getting in to the argument of one method versus the other, would it be possible to be consistent and use the same method for all menus?

I wrote these! - DualTZ | Gauges | Gravity

• DavidAlbergPetersDavidAlbergPeters Posts: 22Member
    edited December 2013
    I get occasional display corruption on Pebble Beta 2 (iOS iPhone 4S). Sometimes the top menu gets repeated and other times the display shows random dots (see screenshot). This only happens when scrolling notifications or navigating the menus. Watchfaces work as they should

I just downgraded to v 1.13 and everything seems fine again
    Post edited by DavidAlbergPeters on
  • My feedback after 2 weeks using and porting apps to SDK 2.0:

- iPhone 4 is not able to get iOS7 notifications with the Pebble App running. That didn't happen with the 1.12 fw. I know everything is related with the BT hw in iPHone 4, but I would expect an specific Pebble App for iPhone 4 including the JS Pebble Kit but ignoring the BT notifications and letting the iOS doing the work (as in 1.12 version)

- International char set is lost. 1.13 fw make all us happy as we were able to properly display our country specific accents, but with fw2.0 beta that is lost again.

- Pebble Apps are always displaying the status bar header, displaying the system time. I0m not able to find the way to turn this off, as it is using a retty valuable space on screen.
  • John05John05 Posts: 27Member
    Protonus said:
    John said:
    A bigger potential problem is what if I've PAID for pre-2.0 apps?
    Please can we keep this thread on topic, 
    Sorry. Will do. The explanation you also posted was a great help though, so thanks. 
  • matejdromatejdro Posts: 603Member
    I get occasional display corruption on Pebble Beta 2 (iOS iPhone 4S). Sometimes the top menu gets repeated and other times the display shows random dots (see screenshot). This only happens when scrolling notifications or navigating the menus. Watchfaces work as they should

I just downgraded to v 1.13 and everything seems fine again

Sorry, but I'm almost completely sure this is hardware issue (speaking from first hand, I had it too). It appears as software at first because it seems to only work on some firmware/apps/etc., but eventually it will be everywhere.
  • 21Zoo21Zoo Posts: 14Member
    Just tried installing Glance with the 2.0-BETA2 Android app but nothing happens, screen closes and no app installed. Successfully managed to install e.g. Music Boss or Pebble Mars.
    21Zoo said:
    Just tried installing Glance with the 2.0-BETA2 Android app but nothing happens, screen closes and no app installed. Successfully managed to install e.g. Music Boss or Pebble Mars.
    You have to install the 2.0 version of Glance's watch app...

Installed the Glance watch app, tried the Pebble app again (beta2), still nothing, closes silently.

Also, as we're talking user experience here, the Pebble app should probably tell me that I need auxiliary apps when installing a watchapp or inform me of any other errors while I'm trying to install something.
  • Martin_NorlandMartin_Norland Posts: 528Member
    The pebble app can't know if you need an auxiliary app, 2.0 supports appmessage directly with PebbleKit JS, and the only indication that a watchapp is trying to interface with 'something else' is when it sends appmessages.

Wherever you downloaded the Glance 2.0 watchapp from surely indicated that you need to be running the Glance app on your phone.
    Check out: Timely Timely is available on the Pebble appstore(Time, Weather, 3 week Calendar, multiple languages, custom vibrations, timezone, plus many customizations and additional selectable options - more features coming!)
    Already like Timely?  Be sure to heart it in the app store, and tell your friends about it!
    Well, I got it through the big blue "Get Watch Apps" button in the Pebble app and there was no indication that an aux app is needed (and there should be).
    But that is also the part of the app that dies thtx to an Exception when trying to install the Glance watchapp so I guess that is still being worked on.
    @21Zoo - 2.0 is a beta for developers.
    Developers - not general users.
    It is not meant to be as simple to use or as forthcoming, as an experience, as it will be when it's public.
    There is a responsibility on your part by simply running 2.0, to do research on what you're trying to do with it, and to ensure proper versions of watch and phone apps are used with it.

this thread is NOT about user experience in that regard, it's for user experience with actual 2.0 related features...

• Richard07Richard07 Posts: 18Member
    2.0 bug:

Watch now interferes with car bluetooth causing iPhone to answer call as iPhone 4S running iOS7 rather than Handsfree. Interference is now worse as well. 
    Pebble 301BL from getpebble.com ordered 19th Nov 2013 received 27th Nov 2013
    iOS 7.0.4 un-jailbroken iPhone 4S (work provided phone)
    Electrical Engineer
    Hobby Dev - software & 3D Printed Hardware
    Java, C, C#, C++

"Automate today what you don't want to do tomorrow."
  • TomGiddenTomGidden Posts: 12Member
    The pebble app can't know if you need an auxiliary app, [...]
    Currently yes, but only because there's no way in the SDK to specify it right now.

I do think it would be useful to have the ability in PebbleJS to specify a link to the App Store for the correct companion app. That way, the Pebble phone app could offer a button to install or launch the companion app, presented much like the configuration button in the watchapps list.

I'm only thinking off the top of my head and only in iOS terms now, but PebbleJS could offer two events: one to test if the app can be launched (eg. by specifying a custom URL scheme, which the Pebble app could test with [UIApplication canOpenURL:] ), and another event to launch a URL into a webview (either a custom page for the app giving links to iOS and Android apps; or a redirect to an iTunes affiliate link, which iOS could intercept and pass to the App Store app)
    On Android, the Pebble App (BETA2) always shows a "Pebble (dis)connected" icon in the upper left corner of the status bar.
    Real estate up there is precious and I generally don't care about it, I assume it is connected (or isn't, if I leave it at home).
    Can we make this configurable, please?
    21Zoo said:
    On Android, the Pebble App (BETA2) always shows a "Pebble (dis)connected" icon in the upper left corner of the status bar.
    Real estate up there is precious and I generally don't care about it, I assume it is connected (or isn't, if I leave it at home).
    Can we make this configurable, please?
    First of all if it says it's disconnected and it's NOT, you've got a problem with your phone that needs to be troubleshot, and you should make a separate thread (This really has nothing to do with what this thread is about... this functionality is identical in 1.x!) Are you talking about the Pebble persistent notification in the notification shade, and it's corresponding icon in the statusbar at the top?  If so, that's how you indicate to Android that a service should not be killed.  You can hide it if you want, by long clicking on the the notification and in Android App Settings, unchecking the show notifications option.  NOTE: If you do this, and your phone gets into a low memory state and the appkiller starts killing apps, Pebble may be one of them, and if the app isn't running things won't work correctly.

• JamesFowlerJamesFowler Posts: 252Member
    copying this from my post in the accelerometer thread. Better suited for here I think.
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_1HZ isn't defined in SDK 2.0 Beta2
    typedef enum {
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_10HZ = 10,
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_25HZ = 25,
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_50HZ = 50,
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_100HZ = 100,
    } AccelSamplingRate;

Hopefully someone on the development team can fix that in the next release;

I don't know if you tried the 1 Hz sampling rate, but it was hellishly noisy. I wonder if it was removed because the hardware simply didn't handle it well. @Thomas and @Cherie would be able to confirm. 
    Morpheuz Sleep Monitor:
    For Information and Instructions see morpheuz.net
    Or Like Morpheuz Sleep Monitor on Facebook
    Or Follow on twitter
    Diary Face 2.0:

• allanallan Posts: 256Member
    copying this from my post in the accelerometer thread. Better suited for here I think.
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_1HZ isn't defined in SDK 2.0 Beta2
    typedef enum {
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_10HZ = 10,
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_25HZ = 25,
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_50HZ = 50,
    ACCEL_SAMPLING_100HZ = 100,
    } AccelSamplingRate;

Hopefully someone on the development team can fix that in the next release;

I don't know if you tried the 1 Hz sampling rate, but it was hellishly noisy. I wonder if it was removed because the hardware simply didn't handle it well. @Thomas and @Cherie would be able to confirm. 
    Given how the accelerometer works (at the chip level), I can imagine low frequency sampling would be a bit pointless.
    Nexus 4 stock Android 4.3, black Pebble.
  • ShawnNealShawnNeal Posts: 8Member
    barky81 said:

In experimenting with phone calls, discovered that although I received call notification on Pebble, the buttons to answer or dismiss did not work...

I am having the same issue with my Pebble as well. I get call notifications, but nothing works when I try to answer or dismiss a call. Using 2.0-Beta2 for ev2.4
  • ThomasThomas Posts: 217Administrator
    @RobertCOpelan: Yes we have removed the 1Hz sampling rate. If you want this kind of very low sampling rate, you can use the peek function.
    Thomas - Pebble Developer Evangelist - Follow @PebbleDev!
  • shukeroshukero Posts: 20Member
    It feels like this newer SDK is making everything run faster and better; with one exception: Gmail notifications.

I'm running a galaxy nexus (Verizon) on default 4.2.2 software,  whenever I get an email notification (Gmail) that requires me to scroll down, I click the scrolling button, and it continues to scroll down regardless if I depress the button; and then restarts the pebble. The weird thing is that this never happens with hangouts, skype, text messaging, calls, etc.

Anyone know of any work arounds for this? I am getting a new moto x today, so I'll also let you all know how this plays with KitKat android 4.4 :3
  • DavidRodriguezRinconDavidRodriguezRincon Posts: 41Member
    edited December 2013
    OK so.. I finally get my iPhone 5s and I'm able to use the BT-LE and all the SDK features for iOS7.

I hate how Pebble App is handling the email and calendar notifications. If you setup your notifications to display "5 items" in the lockscreen, everytime you have an appointment (even just one) you get 5 notifications on your pebble!!! It's annoying and completely wrong!

iOS7 notifications (when you close the Pebble App and let iOS do the work) is just sending the active appointment, so it seems is the application which is retrieving more than needed.

It would be great to get this fixed, as it makes useless the Calendar notifications (I don't know which of the 5 appointments is the current one). Workaround is to set this to just 1 appointment in the iPhone, but that will break your ability of being notified when more than 1 appointment is scheduled for the same time.

Please, fix this :)
    Post edited by DavidRodriguezRincon on
  • Suzanne SchillerSuzanne Schiller Posts: 1,123Moderator
    I'm not sure why you are having this issue or how you've set up your lock screen, as I only get notified for each calendar item once at the alarm time (that is, I've set an alarm to remind me of an appointment 15 minutes in advance) and once at the appointment time.  (My settings seem similar to yours -- I have "show in Notification Center," "Include 5 items" and "Show on Lock Screen").  As for e-mail, I only get notified once when the email comes in UNLESS I leave it unread for an extended period of time, in which case I get "renotified" after a disconnect from and reconnect to bluetooth.  (My settings for mail are "Badge App Icon" on, "Show in Notification Center" on, and "Show on Lock Screen" on).

Try clearing out your Notification Center entirely, remove the Pebble app from your phone, and then reinstall and re-pair your devices -- this seems to have helped some people who have the multiple notification problem.

Forum Moderator
    Kickstarter
    Black
    running custom pebblebits 2.0.2
    Brushed Stainless Steel running custom pebblebits 2.0.2
    Non-Jailbroken iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1
    Non-tech-savvy early adopter who can't code, in awe of the devs

• Is anybody aware about any plan on include Siri/Google Now calls from Pebble? Not sure if even possible, but it would be THE FEATURE if implemented.