Update 34?

Would that be tomorrow (March 8th) more than likely? Do you think they'll formally release 1.8.2? 

Comments

• eidoloneidolon Posts: 259Member
    edited March 2013
    Eric said:
    Won't be able to post an update tomorrow, update will be up next week.
    So the Internet will be broken tomorrow...? No wait it's an electron Holiday... Nope What could it be?? ;-D
    Post edited by eidolon on
    seeya
    eidolon
    iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken
  • BillSeymourBillSeymour Posts: 5Member Pebbler
    He's probably been testing the keyboard app for Pebble, and doesn't think it's yet up to the point where he could reliably make the posting directly from his watch. :-)
  • eidoloneidolon Posts: 259Member
    Ok so 13 presses of the bottom right button is z so i hope it does not include the word Zenzizenzizenzic or will not see it until the week after next... :-0
    seeya
    eidolon
    iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken
  • TrentonSeagoeTrentonSeagoe Posts: 10Member Pebbler
    I'm just getting sick of these delays. I mean I understand that it's a new company and they did not expect what happened to happen, but still. It just seems like a lot delayed and doesn't seem to professional. I am still awaiting my pebble and I can't wait to have it, I mean I have my band and screen protector already, just no pebble.

I just wish we could have some consistency with something from these guys. Communication is great, but consistency and communication would be a hell of lot better.
  • WestonYaleWestonYale Posts: 1Member
    i just feel jipped cuz i have emailed them twice with a simple question and just get emailed back a link to their popular questions page everytime. plus, its sucksw that i see people reviewing colored pebbles all over youtube and colored pebbles for sale on ebay...... where the heck is mine!? I want my white pebble already!
  • CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 2,232Moderator mod
    edited March 2013
    I would imagine that color shipping will start soon.  In update 33 they said 25,000 were manufactured, and looking at http://www.ispebbleshipping.com/ they have now shipped about 25,000.  At that point they were shifting production of one machine to color faces.  I would expect those to be in the pipeline soon.  Remember once they've made the color faces they have to be shipped to the factory in China from Taiwan.
    Post edited by CaffeineJunkie on
  • RebusRebus Posts: 298Member
    Production has went tits up and Eric chooses this moment to be silent. Speaks volumes !!  

Eric, If no update then Why ? Give us a valid reason. The company has taken a step back since the last update and we as backers want to know why ?? 
  • palianpalian Posts: 32Member
    i just feel jipped cuz i have emailed them twice with a simple question and just get emailed back a link to their popular questions page everytime. plus, its sucksw that i see people reviewing colored pebbles all over youtube and colored pebbles for sale on ebay...... where the heck is mine!? I want my white pebble already!
    I haven't seen one color watch on youtube yet, unless you count Black as a color.  All of the ones on ebay are selling their not arrived yet pebble from what I've seen.
    The only color watches on youtube are of samples shown at CES.
  • RobertCrowleyRobertCrowley Posts: 17Member
    I'm just getting sick of these delays. I mean I understand that it's a new company and they did not expect what happened to happen, but still. It just seems like a lot delayed and doesn't seem to professional. I am still awaiting my pebble and I can't wait to have it, I mean I have my band and screen protector already, just no pebble.

I just wish we could have some consistency with something from these guys. Communication is great, but consistency and communication would be a hell of lot better.
    Totally understand your frustration Trenton. I just got my 4/17 backed Pebble and had a skin waiting for it as well. Looks like production is moving steady and shipping is catching up with production. They say colors will start soon. Hang in there. It's a good product for a young company. You'll be happy with it.

• SebastienTaisSebastienTais Posts: 16Member
    I think they could at least explain why they're far from 15000 pebbles built per week... (less than 5000 between 2/27 and 3/6 !!)
  • GeckotekGeckotek Posts: 137Member
    If Eric says there's not going to be a update tmrw, there's probably a reason.  There's probably some news coming early next week that they want to include in the update so they're holding it off.  Everything has a purpose and/or reason.
    I wouldn't make the assumption that next week means "early" next week.  It may mean next Friday,

Rebus said:
    Production has went tits up and Eric chooses this moment to be silent. Speaks volumes !!  

Eric, If no update then Why ? Give us a valid reason. The company has taken a step back since the last update and we as backers want to know why ?? 
    From update 33: "We're 'shooting' (injecting) each color one at a time because each color of plastic requires a slightly different temperature, pressure and cycle time. Each individual color also needs to be approved through a process called First Article Inspection (FAI) during which all dimensions are double checked. We've found that the fit between the bottom housing and the lens can vary quite a lot depending on the injection parameters, so we're being very careful before approving the mass production parameters for each color."

Perhaps now that they've started color production (and they sure want to get this right) they are doing as they said and making sure the dimensions are double checked.

I'd rather have an update of substance, than some fluff pushed out because of a deadline.
    @Caffeine Junkie - Can you then explain to me what all the rounds of pre-production were for then ? Should this not have already been addressed i.e The problems with colours. We are now 2 weeks further on and no improvement in output.I am annoyed at the fact that we were told that they had the potential to produce 15,000 a week, they are at best 50% of this. This effectively means I and everyone else further down the line will have to wait  twice as long.

Also, is it too much to ask for an update with substance on the day that it was scheduled ? It should be no surprise to the Pebble team that Backers are expecting an update today or tomorrow. What is there that can't be said today that has to wait ?? 

Its OK for you, you have yours !!
    whacko said:
     They might not have any real news to share and are working toward a goal so that they DO have something worth sharing. I mean really, I would rather have Eric focus on getting the SDK done, or more watches shipped out than posting an update that said something useless like "nothing to report, more watches shipping soon!"

Thats more to the point.They don't have anyhting positive to say for now, but hey next week can only be better ! It wouldn't be like them to put a spin on anything. "Oh production is at 50% capacity after roughly 8 weeks but hey why be concerned about this we have just shipped 1000 red units". Woopy do. !!!!

Eric, also said himself that as the project got closer to the end he wanted to increase the frequency of the updates ? I take that's another broken commitment that will disapear unoticed.

edited March 2013
    Rebus said:
    Should this not have already been addressed i.e The problems with colours. We are now 2 weeks further on and no improvement in output.
    I feel your pain. Yet the manufacturing output is something Pebble can do nothing about. They produced their part of the deal.

Although I agree that the update this week will be sorely missed I'm very sure there is a good reason for it. I like to think they deserve our trust now Pebble is out in the wild.
    Are you implying Pebble has completed their part of the deal?  What part of "the deal" would that be exactly?  Explain what you mean by this.

Rebus, my guess is all the testing was done in black and when they got to colors they were caught by surprise at the changes necessary.
    Post edited by Geckotek on
    @Geckotek they delivered the designs and firmware. Unfortunately for Pebble they are dependent on others to really put them together and ship them to their customers. That's all I meant.
    Yes, but they are still directly involved in the production process.  As we've seen in videos from them, they have travelled to China to work with the production team.  I consider that production to be an extension of this project, not just a hand-off.  Pebble is directly responsible for it as this is the team they hired, trained, and worked with to develop the production line and processes.  I'm not willing to allow the production team to be a scapegoat for Pebble.  That being said, I have my watch now and I'm very happy.  I just know how the others feel and I empathize with them.  Another delayed update, for any reason, feels like another broken promise.  Everyone would be much happier to hear from Eric more often...even if the updates had little to offer.  Silence is worse than "Hey guys, we're delaying the SDK until we finish polishing the APIs."

And then there's the SDK.....
    Robert, 

Now you mention it, I never thought about it that way. What makes you think this and do you have anything to back up your assumptions ? or is it just a gut feeling? Hopefully there are potential resolutions to the production woes.

Hope you backed black !! If I was on a black and as close as you then I think my patience may have stretched that far !!
  • WheelerWheeler Posts: 12Member
    whacko said:
    Can we please inject a little reality into this conversation?

No one has received a colored Pebble yet. 

There are no colored Pebble's actually for sale on eBay, they are all "preorders."

No color Pebbles have been shipped out yet, there are only a few prototypes floating around. Almost all of the reviews (if not all) have been for black watches.

Red- http://ow.ly/i9MbM
    That threw me for a second, a Windows Phone video.  They did have various color examples working at CES.  This may have been one of those.  I know backers are going to think "I havent got my watch yet and they're giving them to the press?" but we're probably talking about a handful, and it's the nature of the beast.
    @ Robert -  I think you maybe reading into that a bit much. The gesture by the chap at the factory was harmless, IMO is was not done to cause offence, the guy was mearly saying hello to the camera. I agree Eric is a bit more somber in the 2nd clip but its a more serious article. 

Without doubt he is under pressure, but are we all not ? and I know I have to answer to the guy who pays me to do a job !

So why nothing official from Pebble. I'll tell you my theory.As soon as they announce a delay, back orders will be cancelled, but thats inevitable. They need to come clean and tell us the hard truth. 

I'm tired of not knowing when I will recieve the reward for my $565 backing.

This discussion has been closed.