My experience with a Pebble Screen Protector (Skinomi Techskin)

voozoovoozoo Posts: 14Member
I ordered the Skinomi Techskin from Amazon for $7 + $3 shipping.

When I opened the box up I was surprised by all of the pieces: the screen protector, a cloth, a rubber applicator, a spray bottle, and several cards with info on them.  The instructions were sorta lengthy and involved spraying the screen on both sides before applying.  I was intimidated by this bc I had only used screens on my iPhones that you just lay on the screen.

I actually pushed the box and the pieces aside for a couple of days bc I was not in the mood to tackle this task.  But yesterday I sat down and did it.   The first problem was that the written instructions are not specific to the Pebble, and the video instructions link they mention are not for the pebble either.  I searched for any video tutorial specific to the pebble but could not find any.  So I forged on and just followed the written instructions step-by-step.   It was not that bad at all, took about 15 minutes.

Once I finished applying it, it was still really wet but that was helpful bc you can slide it all around to get it into the perfect location.  

The next problem was that the short, narrow ends of the screen protector that follow the curved top and bottom of the The Pebble were not fully adhered to the watch, they sorta curled up.  The instructions had a further note at the bottom about using a hair dryer on low heat to speed up the adhesion.  So I placed my watch in front of a small space heater (a few feet away) on low heat for a few minutes, and sure enough as the wetness went away I could press those ends down and they stay adhered.  I then left the watch in front of the heater for about 20 more minutes, pressed on the ends again to make sure they were stuck down then let it dry without a heater overnight.

Well, today the screen is fully adhered down at all edges and is completely invisible!  No bubble, no dust, no loose edges...I am actually impressed.

I did read another post in this forum that those ends came loose for someone else, so I will watch them and report here if any problems arise with my screen protector.  I do wonder if my method of getting those ends to stick down may have prevented those ends from not sticking down well enough...time will tell.

Comments

• SylarSylar Posts: 253Member
    They need to do a specific pebble install video for the skinomi. The only thing I found helpful from the included instructions and videos was to spray the front and back and not to touch the sticky side. Everything else only applied to phones and tablets. In their phone and tablet videos they say once its centered to hold one side and squeegee the bubbles and moisture out. I found that practly impossible to do being the pebble screen protector was so small and it just slid all over the place. I basically just sprayed both sides of mine centered it and let it sit 20 minutes until it dried somewhat. Then I went back pushed down the side pieces and used the squeegee to get out what bubbles and moisture I could from the face area. I had quite a few bubbles and moisture marks under the screen but they all went away after a few days.
    iOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken on an iPhone 5, Android 4.1.1 on a Droid DNA, One Black Pebble and One Red Pebble.
  • voozoovoozoo Posts: 14Member
    Sylar, I agree.  A video tutorial specific for the pebble would be helpful.  

I did not use the rubber applicator at all - I found it was too big for the pebble sized screen protector.  

And similar to you, I ignored the aspects of the instructions that were not applicable to the pebble.

In the end the product worked great...but the process was a bit "unguided".
    voozoo said:
    Sylar, I agree.  A video tutorial specific for the pebble would be helpful.  

I did not use the rubber applicator at all - I found it was too big for the pebble sized screen protector.  

And similar to you, I ignored the aspects of the instructions that were not applicable to the pebble.

In the end the product worked great...but the process was a bit "unguided".

I agree it was very unguided. The first skinomi I applied looked terrible. I followed the directions to the T and ended up having a bunch of dust and hair caught under the skin. Partially my own fault for following the instructions so diligently when I knew it wasn't going well. With the trial and error the second one looks great!
    iOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken on an iPhone 5, Android 4.1.1 on a Droid DNA, One Black Pebble and One Red Pebble.
  • dezign999dezign999 Posts: 437Member Pebbler
    Anyone have positive results removing a skin?

Saw this posted on Reddit about someone who basically just lifted the skin off and ended up with this: image

His problem is that he can't tell if thats leftover adhesive, or missing layers of the watch face plastic. So far from everything he's tried, its not looking like adhesive...

I am so scared to change my skin now :\
    Steam B. Willie watch face
    Rick Astley watch face
    I removed a skinomi from my pebble to put another one on due to a poor install and this did not happen at all with mine. Mine came off easily with no residue or missing screen plastic.
  • rhjrhj Posts: 4Member
    I'm using one from bestskinsever.com No issues and the price was right
    whacko said:
    @dezign999

That is not left over adhesive. That is most definitely the Pebble's scratch resistant coating being peeled off by the screen protector. Each Pebble lens is coated with a scratch resistance coating similar to that used on eye glasses prior to being assembled. However just like the coating on eye glasses, it can be peeled off with enough pressure or rough handling.
    FUUUUUUU... I have never seen this before and I've skinned a lot of tech out there. So disappointed in the workmanship. Any advice on how to take my skin off? I'd like to switch it out with another style I've got 3 more on deck. I was thinking of using a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive.
    Rick Astley watch face
  • SaeranSaeran Posts: 407Member Pebbler
    whacko said:
    @dezign999

That is not left over adhesive. That is most definitely the Pebble's scratch resistant coating being peeled off by the screen protector. Each Pebble lens is coated with a scratch resistance coating similar to that used on eye glasses prior to being assembled. However just like the coating on eye glasses, it can be peeled off with enough pressure or rough handling.
    That's what I thought.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9505) • Kickstarter Edition Black Pebble • GadgetWraps Screen Protector • @saeranm on Twitter • saeran.com
  • DeUltiDeUlti Posts: 11Member
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, that's my pebble in the pic. I feel like an idiot, but Ive used skins/protectors on many mobile devices and never had that issue happen before.
    Sigh, anyone have any suggestions on how to take off the remaining patches of that layer? I've just about tried everything, but will be trying ripping it off with another screen protector.
    Post edited by DeUlti on
  • PebbleDavePebbleDave Posts: 57Member
    edited March 2013
    I have also put this skin on my Pebble, and I am really happy with the result. Much better than the one on my phone!
    I think I probably did use too much solution, but it did dry out fine. One nice aspect was not worrying about getting the watch wet.

One of the curved corner edges did keep curling up, so I rested the squeegee against it to hold it down whilst it dried.

I would say this is the best result from a protector I have had. The Pebble still has that glossy look.

But I am very worried now by the potential damage to the scratch coating!!!

It would be really good if we can get the official word on this. If the Pebble guys could test the effect of removing screen protectors on some bezel samples, rather than us owners.

Post edited by PebbleDave on
    Nexus 4 - (Android 4.2.2) - Apps : Light Flow, Pebble Notifier (for WhatsApp only)
  • PebbleDavePebbleDave Posts: 57Member
    DeUlti said:
    Yeah, that's my pebble in the pic. I feel like an idiot, but Ive used skins/protectors on many mobile devices and never had that issue happen before.
    Sigh, anyone have any suggestions on how to take off the remaining patches of that layer? I've just about tried everything, but will be trying ripping it off with another screen protector.
    DeUlti, I really feel for you! Was your protector the Skinomi one?
    How did you pull the skin off, was it a quick motion or a gentle one?

If this is a problem, I think Skinomi has some responsibility here.

Nexus 4 - (Android 4.2.2) - Apps : Light Flow, Pebble Notifier (for WhatsApp only)
  • MurrghMurrgh Posts: 2Member
    I have a Skinomi Protector waiting to be put on my Pebble that I got today, how did you apply it?
  • MiataTrySlide92MiataTrySlide92 Posts: 126Member
    Some advice for the skinomi protectors. I would definitely recommend using a hair dryer or heat gun along with waiting at least overnight. I did both these things and mine has been absolutely rock solid!
    Okay, so I replaced my brushed steel skinomi skin with a carbon fiber one. The trick was to heat it up first with a hair dryer until the skin literally becomes soft. At this point, gently lift a corner up and reheat as needed to keep the skin soft. I didn't run into any problems lifting the protective layer from the watch face, and all I can say on that is to seriously have patience.
    Rick Astley watch face
  • DeUltiDeUlti Posts: 11Member

DeUlti, I really feel for you! Was your protector the Skinomi one?
    How did you pull the skin off, was it a quick motion or a gentle one?

If this is a problem, I think Skinomi has some responsibility here.

My protector was from bestskinsever. I pulled it off slowly a little at first but it got stuck and then I ripped it off quickly like an idiot. I've since "fixed" it by sanding off the patches with 3000 grit sandpaper (super super fine made for clear coat paint) which smoothed it and took off scratches leaving it smooth but a little dull. I then repolished it with a plastic scratch remover and polish and applied a skinomi protector. I wouldn't necessarily fault bestskinsever, there are apparently removal instructions to pull carefully at an angle. That said, installation of the skinomi was nice and easy with the spray and the "legs" have stuck much better
    It has been over 1 month since I put my screen protector on and started this thread, so here is an update on how it has held up.

It has held up perfectly.  It is not lifting up in any way, even the little tab portions (or "legs") at the top and bottom are still perfectly adhered.  It is looking as good as day one.

Summary: I still recommend the Skinomi screen protector, and can support its longevity of one month so far.
  • CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 2,218Moderator mod
    Really pleased to hear that. 
    I have two skins waiting for my white and orange pebbles. 
    Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 Plus
  • EmmanuelSandersEmmanuelSanders Posts: 82Member
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Voozoo, I just received by Pebble today and installed the protector I purchased based on your initial review, I am glad to hear that it is holding up!
    Now the hard part, not wearing my pebble for 12 hours !!!
    Post edited by EmmanuelSanders on
  • nietssemajnietssemaj Posts: 16Member
    Been using my Skinomi protector now for about 2 weeks. So far so good. So far its held on when getting wet. I use it for timing at the pool. However I don't wear it while I swim but it is certainly getting wet when I touch it to time sets.
    Update on my skinomi techskin:

I recently walked through a doorway and banged my watch on the door frame that was painted white.  I looked at my Pebble and it had several white streaks on the surface.

The good news: I'm sure the techskin absorbed all the damage and my actual pebble screen is fine.  The visible white part was the paint from the door frame, lots of rubbing resulted in most of it coming off.

The bad news: I can still sorta see scuff marks on the techskin, they seem to be embedded into the techskin and are not removable.  They are quite minor but just a note that the techskin can be slightly damaged by abrasions but will protect the watchface.
  • jonatjonat Posts: 48Member Pebbler
    I installed a Skinomi techskin (carbon fiber look) on my Pebble yesterday. The included instructions, which of course I didn't read beforehand, said that the skin applies with heat and not with the spray bottle, which is used for the clear screen protector only. Once I got home and used a hair dryer, the ends stuck very firmly and I am very pleased so far.
    Steve
  • knopfler19knopfler19 Posts: 60Member
    I'm not satisfied at all with my skinomi. It has a horrible "orange peel" effect and have marks that are suppossed to be done while installing it (¡!). 
    This is not the "invisible protector" everybody say…

• philbradenphilbraden Posts: 2Member
    I've had the skinomi for about 4 months.  Generally good, but the edges by the watchstraps have lifted and I have to cut them off with a razorblade.  It is now beginning to look tatty though and I would like to replace it, but am scared that I will destroy the watchface.
    I started this thread about 8 months ago and so I thought I would share an update.

The Skinomi skin has been perfect so far.  Even the white scratches I reported about 5 months ago are mostly invisible now.

My experience may not be typical though bc I only wear my watch during the day, at work.  I rarely wear it at home, outside, on weekends, in wet conditions, or when I travel.  This obviously diminishes the wear and tear it could encounter.

If anyone reports any problems with the skin perhaps they could also share what conditions they expose it to and that may help others be aware of the limitations of the skin and what conditions to avoid if possible.

Hope this is helpful to all.
  • EFutchEFutch Posts: 7Member
    My Skinomi came with a small transparent square for the screen, and the body cover.  Any thoughts on which of those should I install first?