IFTTT Support

hightide25hightide25 Posts: 9Member
edited December 2012 in Support
I am new to IFTTT so please forgive my ignorance on the topic. Will Pebble have their own channel or will it be via SMS then view on watch?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MelmMelm Posts: 5Member
    edited April 2012
    I am new to IFTTT so please forgive my ignorance on the topic. Will Pebble have their own channel or will it be via SMS then view on watch?

I have the exact same question. It would be great if you could give some more details about how Ifttt support will be implemented. A proper Pebble channel would be preferrable to just email/text messages.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 10Member
    edited April 2012
    Yes, we're going to work with with IFTTT to get a dedicated Pebble output channel set up.
  • MelmMelm Posts: 5Member
    edited April 2012
    Great! Thanks for the clarification Andrew.
  • WatchDogWatchDog Posts: 2Member
    edited April 2012
    Dedicated IFTTT channel is much appreciated. Huge fan of IFTTT here.
  • jimibondjimibond Posts: 8Member
    edited April 2012
    Excellent, only just started using ifttt since reading about it on pebble kickstarter page a few days ago but love it already.
  • valentinsvahnvalentinsvahn Posts: 13Member
    edited April 2012
    > Yes, we're going to work with with IFTTT to get a dedicated Pebble output channel set up.

Why only an output channel ? It's not possible to have an input channel ?

Some examples : IF (button pushed) THEN (bookmark my current URL location from google map to Zootool) --- IF (button pushed) THEN (tweet a standard message) --- IF (button pushed) THEN (email to my girlfriend I'm coming) --- Etc.

Any API is possible ?
  • kitfmkitfm Posts: 28Member
    edited April 2012
    > > Yes, we're going to work with with IFTTT to get a dedicated Pebble output channel set up.
    >
    > Why only an output channel ? It's not possible to have an input channel ?
    >
    > Some examples : IF (button pushed) THEN (bookmark my current URL location from google map to Zootool) --- IF (button pushed) THEN (tweet a standard message) --- IF (button pushed) THEN (email to my girlfriend I'm coming) --- Etc.
    >
    > Any API is possible ?

I'm pretty sure IFTTT input only works with web services, and doesn't actually update fast enough for actual button presses to be possible. If you need that support, you should probably wait for the SDK!
  • valentinsvahnvalentinsvahn Posts: 13Member
    edited April 2012
    > > > Yes, we're going to work with with IFTTT to get a dedicated Pebble output channel set up.
    > >
    > > Why only an output channel ? It's not possible to have an input channel ?
    > >
    > > Some examples : IF (button pushed) THEN (bookmark my current URL location from google map to Zootool) --- IF (button pushed) THEN (tweet a standard message) --- IF (button pushed) THEN (email to my girlfriend I'm coming) --- Etc.
    > >
    > > Any API is possible ?
    >
    >
    > I'm pretty sure IFTTT input only works with web services, and doesn't actually update fast enough for actual button presses to be possible. If you need that support, you should probably wait for the SDK!

If IFTTT is able to send data to the Pebble, so the Pebble needs to be connected to a web service (a dedicated web service for the Pebble).
    So, if this web service exists, I don't understand why it can't receive messages from the watch. I'm almost pretty sure the watch and the dedicated Pebble's channel can't work without a dedicated Pebble web service for the watch... Am I wrong ?
  • pzboyzpzboyz Posts: 87Member
    edited July 2012
    Does this mean that the 'sender' will be set to 'IFFT' or something similar, or is this interface for IFFT going to stay a secret?
  • CaffeineJunkieCaffeineJunkie Posts: 2,227Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    When I receive a text notification via IFTTT it is clearly labeled as 'IFTTT' so I know who it's from. I would imagine it will be the same for notifications sent to the Pebble.

What do you mean by secret?
    Forum Moderator  iPhone 6 Plus
  • YoYoPeteYoYoPete Posts: 8Member
    edited July 2012
    Well... If there was a dedicated service on IFTTT, it would mean that there would have to be a service on the watch side. Well since the watch doesnt really act as the host, it means the service would be running on the phone.

So this means that our phone will have a pebble app (just guessing) which will probably allow you to configure it and will run a background service which listens to IFTTT? So in theory, that service could be bidirectional and IFTTT could listen for responses/requests from the watch.

Right?
  • EricEric Posts: 127Member
    edited July 2012
    Happy to clarify. In order to use your pebble, you will need to install the Pebble app for iOS or Android. This app allows notifications to be sent to your watch, including ifttt endpoint alerts. We will be opening up this web-based endpoint to other developers (Web apps and websites) as well.
  • TibsTibs Posts: 2Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm not familiar with IFTT (will be in a few hours when I get off work and can do some research), but will things like Tasker be able to program events like button presses?
    edited July 2012
    I dont think Tasker and IFTTT have anything to do with each other.

IFTTT is a web based service that responds to an internet based event.
    If This Then That.

So it could be If then
    or If then

There are a list of events and a list of actions.
    Where this is useful for Pebble is that they will be creating a pebble action channel so you could have If then

This notification is generated on the IFTTT server and sent to your pebble via your phone. It doesnt respond to events on your phone directly. There wouldnt be any point. Your phone would have to send the event to IFTTT (if thats even possible) and up to 15 minutes later you'd get the notification on your watch. Why not send the notification straight from your phone to your watch.
  • TibsTibs Posts: 2Member
    edited July 2012
    Sorry Caffiene, I did realise they were two separate applications/processes. I posted my question before heading over to read up about IFTTT but was curious if the tasker interface had the capability to act on a button press if IFTTT could not. Recently IFTTT implemented "quick triggers" which are more hardware based as opposed to the 15 min refresh of purely logical IFTTT refreshes.

I have since gone over to the IFTTT forum and asked about adding the Pebble to their list of supported devices and their forum mod thought it was a great idea and even indicated he knew someone on the Pebble team and they would discuss it.

Good times!
  • YoYoPeteYoYoPete Posts: 8Member
    edited July 2012
    I thought pebble as a IFTTT channel was already in the plan?

It is.. 3rd post in this thread:

Andrew:> Yes, we're going to work with with IFTTT to get a dedicated Pebble output channel set up.
    edited July 2012
    Yes, you're right, but the forum mod may not be aware of those discussions.
  • EricEric Posts: 127Member
    edited July 2012
    Yup, ifttt support is definitely in the works!
  • spudspud Posts: 61Member
    edited December 2012
    > I dont think Tasker and IFTTT have anything to do with each other.

No, but I can imagine combining the two. Like have tasker react to pebble (button) input, and then trigger an IFFFT process that ends up on your Pebble again... I can see magic happen here. Or instead of Tasker use on{x}, which, I believe, also includes some basic IFFFT-like functionality, looks to be even more powerful! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.onx.app&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taWNyb3NvZnQub254LmFwcCJd
  • ScottJScottJ Posts: 3Member
    edited April 2013
    hey Forgive me if i've missed it, but when is the Pebble channel coming to IFTTT?? can't wait to start using it with my Pebble  :)
    Post edited by ScottJ on
    My guess is that there's development required both to the Pebble phone apps, and pebbles account system. It's a question of priorities. With their development staff working on Runkeeper and Freecaddie integration, changes to the watch firmware to improve battery life, phone app changes to improve stability and battery life, The impending (and future) release of the SDK, it's probably in the queue or being worked on, but you can see what they've got to do as well.