[Watch face][SDK2] Futura Weather

Comments

• NiknamNiknam Posts: 155Member Regular

Version update 1.72

Small fix to support 3-character temperatures (above 100° and below -10°).

Standard [QR]

No vibration alert [QR]

·
  • mcjmcj Posts: 3Member
    Same symptoms again today...the new server down as well?
    ·
  • lkorthlkorth Posts: 127Member, PDR14 Pebbler
    Try again now, the load has been incredibly high and I had to modify the configuration to cope with it.
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Still no good here.

Just out of curiosity, what does this script actually do?  I'm wondering why the watchface doesn't query forecast.io directly.

EDIT - nevermind, just realized the source for the script was posted earlier.  :-)
    Post edited by mcj on
    ·
    @mcj Is the httpebble app running properly?

The script fetches raw weather data from forecast.io, parses it (hand picks only the parts we are interested in) and sends it back to the watch.
    ·
    httpebble seemed to be running correctly, from what I can tell.  Looks like it's working after restarting the phone, though.  Thanks!

Didn't realize forecast.io returned that much data.  It'd be nice if they had a separate current-conditions-only call, I guess.
    ·
    They do and that's what we're using, but in order for it to work with the generic httpebble protocol, it needs to be modified with a proxy script.
    ·
  • idle0095idle0095 Posts: 115Member
     how do i get weather from weather underground?
    ·
    Write a web page that uses their API and edit a watch face to use your web page as the url.
    ·
    lkorth said:
    Write a web page that uses their API and edit a watch face to use your web page as the url.
    What do you mean?
    ·
    You need to write a webpage like this

That is modified to use weather underground's API and then you must edit the watch face to get the weather from where ever you are hosting said web page
    ·
    lkorth said:
    You need to write a webpage like this

That is modified to use weather underground's API and then you must edit the watch face to get the weather from where ever you are hosting said web page
    Yeah im lost.  I got a api from weather underground and I opened a github.com and forked Katharine code and added the api and it didnt work.  Never got weather after i edited the watch face.
    ·
    Katharine's php script is written specifically for forecast.io, if you want to use weather underground you will need to make the changes to deal with how their API works.

Once that's working and you have it hosted at a url, then you can edit a watch face to use that url.  
    ·
    lkorth said:
    Katharine's php script is written specifically for forecast.io, if you want to use weather underground you will need to make the changes to deal with how their API works.

Once that's working and you have it hosted at a url, then you can edit a watch face to use that url.  
    Okay I was able to take his code and put it on my own github.  I edited the api but now i need to find what weather underground uses so i can replace the forecast.io
    ·
  • AdamThomasAdamThomas Posts: 7Member
    Does the weather change depending on where you are located (via your phone GPS), or do I need to tell it specifically in the API what city to show the temp for?
    ·

Does the weather change depending on where you are located (via your phone GPS)

Yep!
    ·
  • LukeGarrattLukeGarratt Posts: 9Member
    Is there any avenue to utilise the weather data that a myriad of weather apps post in the notification tray? Rather than rely on another web API?

I use the Au Weather app which utilises BOM weather and is often more accurate than other international apps for us Australians. It lists location, temp, conditions, low and high. Is it possible to tap into the notifications?
    ·
  • jonnojonno Posts: 152Member Regular
    edited July 2013
    @Luke Garratt

While it may be possible, that's just not the way this app works. The app works by calling a custom server script, which pulls data from forecast.io and parse it for the relevant details, before sending it back to the watch app.

The method you're suggesting would be incompatible with iOS and also require a complete re-write of the code. A far easier solution would be to modify the server script to call and parse the BOM data, and modify the watch app to point to this new script instead (what @lkorth suggested).

For what it's worth, I'm finding the forecast.io data remarkably accurate compared to the BOM data I'm getting.
    Post edited by jonno on
    ·
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the reply @jonno.

Futura 1.72 works for me initially, but 30 secs later it goes back to no phone/signal. But Roboto Weather and 91 weather don't which is frustrating.

Not sure what I am doing wrong!
    Post edited by LukeGarratt on
    ·
  • InternetUser007InternetUser007 Posts: 88Member
    I have been using Pebbler and its watchapp for a while now. In the last day or two, it has stopped showing weather. I know it connects to the phone because the "..." disappears after a few seconds, and no "?" is shown. It simply shows no weather. Any idea what the problem is?
    ·
    @LukeGarratt That sounds like strange behavior. What device/OS are you running? And also, is the appearance of the phone icon consistent, i.e. does it always appear 30 seconds after initializing the watchface? If not, and if only displaying the icon upon each weather update (every 15 minutes), it might be a time-out issue. The current version updates weather info within a fixed interval that is the same for all users (quarter past, half past, quarter to, and sharp), which can cause an overload of weather requests. The upcoming version will handle this in a better way.

By the way, does the watch vibrate each time it displays the phone icon?
    ·
    @Niknam

So I managed to sort it out rather simply, in this case it is just typical user error ;)

In the beginning Pebble would display the phone icon do it everytime, so I thought it may have had to do it with having too many Pebble related applications (I had 6 including the official) on my phone (SGS2) because Roboto Weather and 91 weather also screwed up eventually. So I started again and only installed the official Pebble app and Pebbler. Turned the Pebble and phone off, then turned them back on in that order. All sorted!

Thanks! Look forward to the updated versions.
    ·
  • Gameboy213Gameboy213 Posts: 141Member
    Sadly this no longer works for me. Works for a bit and then stops over and over and I just see the phone connection lost icon. Can't figure it out. Restarts and relaunches of HTTPebble don't fix it. Worked up until the first weather server issues and the new version hasn't fixed it for me. Anyone else having the same issue?
    ·
  • Jose_LuisJose_Luis Posts: 289Member Regular
    edited July 2013
    It seems that @Niknam is working in an update. Let's hope it's released soon.
    Futura Weather was my weather watchface until the problems appeared.
    Now is unusable for me. Fingers crossed. Thank you!
    Post edited by Jose_Luis on

iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.6 Jailbreak)

·
  • brandon10brandon10 Posts: 3Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm just going to leave this here:

Edit: fixed issue where a time with 0 at the end would disappear. i.e. 7:10
    Post edited by brandon10 on
    ·
    edited July 2013
    @Gameboy213 Hard to say exactly what is causing the disconnections you are experiencing, but my best guess would be that the server where the endpoint is located is experiencing an overload of simultaneous weather requests, which in turn leads to time-out errors on the phone-side, which are currently displayed as phone disconnections on the watch. The upcoming update will address the issue that the simultaneous weather requests are causing, and hopefully also solve the issues you are experiencing.

I am currently receiving some great help from @lkorth with a new endpoint, but we have come across a caching issue on iOS devices that need to be solved before I can release the update.
    Post edited by Niknam on
    ·
  • eyeiseyeis Posts: 487Member Regular
    This watchface is not working for me at all. It displays the correct weather forcast when I first use it but then it just gets stuck on that forcast and never updates. It renders it useless
    iPhone 5s with iOS 8
    ·
  • JulianStarkeJulianStarke Posts: 98Member Regular
    eyeis said:
    This watchface is not working for me at all. It displays the correct weather forcast when I first use it but then it just gets stuck on that forcast and never updates. It renders it useless
    I don't think it's the watchface. I think it is something in your setup. Just because it is working for a bunch of people.
    ·
  • Jose_LuisJose_Luis Posts: 289Member Regular
    eyeis said:
    I don't think it's the watchface. I think it is something in your setup. Just because it is working for a bunch of people.
    Yes, you sure are right. For example, Roboto is working great for me, but this Futura doesn´t. But I at least don´t know what to modify in my setup to have both working. Besides, it seems that there is some "caching issue on iOS devices", that may be ruining the experience to us iOS users. Maybe the bunch of people you are talking about are most of them Androiders.

iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.6 Jailbreak)

·
  • JulianStarkeJulianStarke Posts: 98Member Regular
    Oh yeah, this could be right. I can't say anything about iOS, so my statement is just for Android.
    ·